Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

Thirfty but still great birthday parties for kids

I have five kids so I've had a lot of birthday parties, and I have a lot of ideas that I've used to keep things fun but still within a budget, but I'm looking for new ideas I haven't used before. I'm looking for ideas for games, food, and decor mostly but any great ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have two birthdays in March, one for a 10 year old girl and one for a 6 year old boy. I find it hard to incorporate ideas that work for both parties, such as a play dough table doesn't really work well for the 10 year old anymore. I am not set on a theme, I usually buy tableware at the dollar store, I make my own cakes, last year we did a robot theme for the boy and butterflies for the girl.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thirfty but still great birthday parties for kids

I would check out the Dollar Tree and base your theme on what they have. They usually have lots of luau stuff.
You could do that as a "theme" for the 10 year old girl. Games might be trying to toss the lei around something. (And each guess gets a lei to keep!) Mine has foam sunvisors.(hats). You could buy a pack of foam stickers for each girl to decorate her hat. (Foam stickers don't require glue so no mess to clean up!) Maybe have the kids make friendship bracelets. My dollar tree has lot of plastic pony beads.

We did indoor bowling for one party. (Using water bottles and a bouncy ball) Then after we reset it up for a ring toss.

My favorite party for kids was one my son attended... a movie party. The parents rented a kids movie... made microwave popcorn. After the movie was over, they did cake and ice cream. Then presents... and then the parents started coming to pick up their kids. I thought that was awesome! Virtually no clean up! No games. Each kid got a grab bag on the way out!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
new_mommy78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use the dollar tree for some supplies but I have found a TON of free printables on pintrest. My DShad a pirate party and I found all of his printables for free.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
mamaNMH
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pizza party! Make a big ball of dough earlier in the day and give each kid their own small dough ball to make a personal pizza. Have bowls out with toppings. Maybe an ice cream bar for dessert with the same idea (bowls of toppings). That would give the kids a good amount to do so you could just have a game before making pizzas or between pizza and dessert. For decorations, we usually just have simple balloons and streamers with a happy birthday sign.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I would check out the Dollar Tree and base your theme on what they have. They usually have lots of luau stuff.
You could do that as a "theme" for the 10 year old girl. Games might be trying to toss the lei around something. (And each guess gets a lei to keep!) Mine has foam sunvisors.(hats). You could buy a pack of foam stickers for each girl to decorate her hat. (Foam stickers don't require glue so no mess to clean up!) Maybe have the kids make friendship bracelets. My dollar tree has lot of plastic pony beads.

We did indoor bowling for one party. (Using water bottles and a bouncy ball) Then after we reset it up for a ring toss.

My favorite party for kids was one my son attended... a movie party. The parents rented a kids movie... made microwave popcorn. After the movie was over, they did cake and ice cream. Then presents... and then the parents started coming to pick up their kids. I thought that was awesome! Virtually no clean up! No games. Each kid got a grab bag on the way out!
This is us lol....sooo easy and cheap!

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you do the kids parties together or separate?? I have a 7 year old DD and a 10 year old DS. They have birthdays a few weeks apart so we usually have one party in the middle. We like to do themes that work for both, but it gets hard. lol

We've done:

petting zoo party - We've done two ways. Once we rented a petting zoo. The other time we just brought out our pets (bunny, frogs, turtle, dog, hermit crab). If you don't live in a zoo like us you could have the kids bring a pet to show. ( a Pet show party might be fun)

Dinos and Daisys Party - We put DS toy dinos and flowers on the tables for decorations. We had a dino dig for the boys. I filled the sandbox with little toy dinos and then covered with potting soil. The boys dug them up. Then the girls decorated little pots and used the potting soild to plant flowers. (and yes we let boys and girls do both activities if they wanted too.) We had some sort of ring toss where the kids tossed flowered bracelets over the head of a long neck dino and then a pinata.

frogs and princesses. Not so much the princess and the frog as litterally frogs and princesses. lol DS was really into frogs and DD princesses and we made it work. We had some frog related games and princess games. The girls made those cone type hats. I can't remember what else except that I made DS a frog t-shirt. lol

Hawiian party. Loved that one. All kids of decorations at the dollar tree. Then I hung a blue tarp on our fence and found a boogie board the kids posed with like they were surfing and we sent the pics with the thank you notes. For activities we had a hula hoop contest and the kids made flower leihs out of straws and tissue paper. For food I made ham and pineapple skewers and fruit skewers.

Cowboy/cowgirl party. That one was so long ago I can't remember what we did except the pinata.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog

Last edited by kocho; 01-12-2013 at 03:34 PM.
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh ya....dd7 just had her bday in dec and dd will be 5 in feb so we do it in jan. Dd3 and dd2 are in may and july so for them we just do cake..bbq...pinata...n pools/slip n slide/ water balloons. We are gonna had homemade lip gloss, pedis and manicures to the older girls this year. I did dora and deigo for the littles but when they get bigger idk. Summer is a good time for gender neutral stuff

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

My sis did a carnival theme for really cheap. Coin toss (pennies into egg carton). Ball throw (football through hula hoop). I can't remember everything else. I will look back at my pics and update pretty sure she found all her ideas online though. Food was hot dogs, popcorn, etc... Even had the little bags of cotton candy that are out with Easter candy

Each kid won tickets for playing the games. She took all the toys her kids had from kids meals, other bday parties, or unused and unopened gifts (and the kids could pick out a prize like you would at the ticket redemption. So they got to take home a party favor they actually enjoyed.

For DDs party this fall I bought her one of those hurricane bubble machines. It was about $15 I think? It was awesome. I had made fairy wands and pirate swords for the kids an they chars the bubbles popping them for a long time. It was a huge hit!

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsallnaughty View Post
Oh ya....dd7 just had her bday in dec and dd will be 5 in feb so we do it in jan. Dd3 and dd2 are in may and july so for them we just do cake..bbq...pinata...n pools/slip n slide/ water balloons. We are gonna had homemade lip gloss, pedis and manicures to the older girls this year. I did dora and deigo for the littles but when they get bigger idk. Summer is a good time for gender neutral stuff
Oh!! I forgot we did a Dora and Diego party one year too!! For food we had tacos and chips and salsa. For activities we did coloring pages. And I made up a map and a little opstical course for the kiddos. That was fun. And of course the pinata that we always do.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
We have 4 kids and between them and dh, we have a birthday party every month from January through April. My budget for the whole party is usually between $80 and $100. But my dh and I decided that we will have the big parties every other year and family dinners on the off years.

For my dd we have done: a mad hatter tea party with the hats and tiaras purchased at the dollar tree. I bought tea cups and random fancy dishes when our thrift store had them half off. All the food was funny finger food and we had several kinds of tea the kids loved it. We have also done a spa party. We used our nail polish and made a face mask with yogurt and avocado. The girls liked that one. We have also done a cupcake decorating party. This year our family dinner will be princess themed.

For my boys: we have done the carnival theme, but that was a first birthday and a budget buster. We've done a pirate party will the favors, etc. purchased at the dollar tree. We've done a pool party. That year we had a pool set up in our backyard so the party as whole was pretty cheap. We've also done a puppy party, Mickey Mouse party, cars party and my personal favorite was a construction party. For the construction party my dh called lowes and Home Depot. They ended up giving us aprons, kits, pins and a few other thing for the favor for each kid for free! We bought inexpensive construction hats and had various stations for them to build things. My other favorite was a camping themed party. I made all the decorations (tents, signs) on my cricut. We had a s'mores bar and served hot dogs, chips, etc. we also did stations and one was making a pinecone bird feeder. We bought the favors very inexpensively on oriental trading.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote