Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Preschool prices?

I'm a SAHM with a 1 year old and another on the way. Looks like it's "preschool season" and DD would be the right age to start in a 2 year old group in the fall. The websites I've seen are listing $200 per month and it goes up for there. Yikes!

I really don't know much about preschools, this is all new to me. Is there any reason to consider preschool for 2 year olds, or should we wait a couple more years? We're already doing a lot of outtings and activities that incorporate learning through play, particularly with the inspiration of the Play At Home Moms blog. I like the idea of her getting out and being exposed to new people and new activities. She is a very bubbly happy kid, not shy.

If we do want to look at preschools, what are some options for low-cost places? I've looked at the local public schools and community centers with preschool programs, free-standing kindercare/daycare type places, etc... I've seen some local co-op schools and montessori schools online but they don't list the prices and I'm a little nervous about inquring. Are churches affordable? We aren't affiliated with any organized religion, but we are open-minded and respectful. Would a church preschool be appropriate for us if we don't attend church? I also looked at the local high-school that offers a preschool program. I guess I could inquire on our local facebook from other moms. Is $200+ per month standard?

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preschool prices?

Churches still like do prayer time. Ours ranged from 110 plus & that was 2 & 3 day a week things in a smaller city. Unless ur kidx doesn't like anyone but mommy. I don't see a need for prek til 4 or 5 depending on birthday to help get ready for school & types of things in school they will be doing. If u want to socialize kid then put in play groups or some dance places start at 18month old kids.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 01-12-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: editing
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Preschools in my area start around 180/month for a 2 day a week, 3hr morning program. Most are for the 2 years prior to kinder. 2 yr old preschool is not available here, it would only be a daycare.
Churches are about the same as other preschool options, and in my area, the main one. Co-ops can be cheaper if you can arrange childcare for when it's your turn to help. They all expect phone calls so don't be afraid to call and ask for info.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yeah, $200+ per month is normal. We pay $375/mo for DS, who is in 3 year preschool and does 4 half days a week.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In my area, preschool starts at 3, then public schools typically have 4K. We're signing DD up for a coop preschool next year, 2 days a week for 2.5 hrs each day and it's $110/month. Because it is a coop, parents are active in the classroom and are more involved. There is a certain level of time commitment that is required for helping, cleaning, etc.

We're sending DD mainly so she can get used to going to an activity without me. She doesn't need the actual "school" aspect b/c we do a lot at home, but I want to be sure she's ready for the social aspect of 4K. FTR, I was SUPER shy going into kindergarten, and didn't really get over it until HS. My DH was the same way (plus his family moved every year - poor guy!), so we're hoping to avoid that for her!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

We pay $175/month for 2 half days a week. DS started a little after 2. We mainly did it for the social aspect. We were new to the area and seemed to only be meeting families with babies. He loves it and has learned a lot! He is starting a new daycare that does preschool so he won't be going much longer.

There is a co-op preschool here and the prices are a bit cheaper. I would love for him to go there, but I don't have the time required due to school. Maybe check out in-home daycares that offer preschool times? I know there are some great ones around here that offer it for $15/day for about 4 hours. It will be less structured than a school setting, but could be great for the social part.
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you don'y need preschool but just want her to socialize more, moms' groups are great and free. if you brestfeed, check out your local LLL, or try a babywearer's group or try your local community college for groups
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you don'y need preschool but just want her to socialize more, moms' groups are great and free. if you brestfeed, check out your local LLL, or try a babywearer's group or try your local community college for groups
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #9
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops, sorry, lol