Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

How old is your wool?

I have a specific question that I haven't seen answered in any of the wool threads I've found on here (granted, I'm sure I haven't read through every single post about wool).

How long does a wool soaker last?
How many children can use it before it needs to be replaced?
What criteria do YOU use when deciding that it needs to be replaced (is it just ugly, or has it lost it's water resistance)?

I can't see myself spending many hundreds of dollars on wool for each child (husband & I plan to have a few... if you ask him, it's 35, if you ask me it's 5 So far, we only have one on the way). My current plan/stash is flats, flips (used & seconds) & dappi covers. However, if I could buy 3 or 4 wool soakers each in 3 sizes and those will last through several kids, I might be able to bring myself to do it. Or... I'll just use flats & dappi nylons like a total cheapo.

I'm currently interested in sbish knit & woollybottom interlock soakers, but if you have many years of experience w/ other brands, I'd love to hear about that, too.

Thanks so much!!

Advertisement

junvwekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How old is your wool?

I mean forever IDK. I can't imagine what would happen to a soaker that would render it unusable or ruined. As long as you take care of it I would say for many children. I use hand knit and interlock, upcycled and a few machine knit. They are all being used for the second time now. I'm sure I could use them on several more children. A few were purchased use so they are on the 3rd or 4th child now. It can't lose it's water resistance. You just re-lanolize it. Clean it when it's dirty etc. I know I heard about a woman handing down some 20 year old Nikky covers. Unless it get damaged in some way (accidentily thrown in the dryer, ripped and unrepairable) I don't think you need to worry about replacing it. Wool has a very, very long shelf life.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:

The only thing I would add to the previous post is that wool can be ruined by moths eating it. So you would need to take precautions when storing the wool for the next child (give a good washing/lanolize and store with moth balls or in cedar chest).
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
togetherinthelandofoz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree I think it could easily last for multiple children. I've got a couple Disana soakers that have been used just for one child but they barely seem used except for natural felting. The only other thing I can think is that maybe with thinner wool (like Imse Vimse & Nikkys) maybe you would get holes from wear. But even thin I think it would be from LOTS of wear. I know we have some wool blankets and coats that are at least 20 years old and even though they may not be used as frequently as a diaper cover, they have been stored in between uses and hold up great.

OliviaZachariahIsabella Psalm 139:13-14
togetherinthelandofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It can last through multiple children and like one of the PP said you have to take precautions against moths...I lost some of my precious wool I was saving for my youngest to moths But I have wool that has gone through 2 children and is on it's 3rd.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They last a long time. I have 2 WCW soakers I've been using for more than 2 years and they look great. A little dingyness on the inside, but no holes or wear that would make them unusable.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

they last like the others said, as long as washed/handled correctly. Make sure they don't end up going through the wash and getting felted . The knit/croched ones may need a shave, but no big deal

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like interlock : Royal Buns, Wild Coconut Wear, Rainbow Waters
Recycled: my own, Woollybottoms
Knit: Disana, Kissaluvs
Wraps: Loveybums, Nikky
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one pair of longies that is 8 years old, still looks new
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies, y'all! I'll probably wait until he gets here (in March ) to order more fluffy stuff. I keep thinking I'll have a giant baby & it will be pointless to buy XS/NB stuff... but just because my mom's first baby was over 10lbs doesn't mean mine will be. Lol.

Since he is the first grandchild/nephew/great-grandchild on my side of the family, I know he'll get plenty of baby stuff & diapers to last a looooong time so I'm not too concerned about having my perfect cloth stash ready right away. Plus, I want to try it & make sure it won't drive my husband insane before I invest any more $$$ in it.
junvwekt is offline   Reply With Quote