Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
dannimom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile How quick do your LOs wean?

I plan to bf for as long as my kids want, no limits. How quick was your quickest weaner? How long did your most reluctant weaner bf?

Advertisement

dannimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My earliest weaned cold turkey (his doing not mine!) just shy of 13 months. My longest weaned herself at 17 months.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How quick do your LOs wean?

My daughter weaned herself at 14 months. Never looked back. My son was down to just once a day, but I went away for 5 days right when he turned 2 and that was the end of that. He pet me when I came home and "tasted" but never attempted to latch. He will still grab them for comfort (he will be 3 in March).
Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

I breasted mine as long as they wanted. My shortest self weaner was 9mths....I was crushed and tried everything to get her to continue but she wanted nothing more to do with it. On the other hand I have a 25 mth old who is just now weaning themselves. I have five and they were all so unique in there breaks feeding. You just never know!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't consider myself a child-led breastfeeder/weaner, but so far all of mine weaned later than most nurslings I read about here. My oldest nursed until age four years and three months. My second continued until age four years and six months, and I weaned my third ten days before his fourth birthday. My youngest two are still nursing at twenty-nine months and five months.

I guess you can discount this post, since I don't really consider myself a CLW person, but so far all of the self-weaned kiddos on the thread sound so young to me. In any case, I'm only able to nurse as long as I do because I encourage certain nursing limits as my kids grow into their third year and beyond. Usually when I wean it is mother-led, because they will go a few days without nursing of their own choice, but then I don't let them go back after a while. My oldest is ten, and she still asks me sometimes to nurse! I think she's mostly joking, but I wouldn't put it past her to try, and I'm not comfortable with that.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
blackberry75
Registered Users

Both my kiddos stopped at approx. 9m. Nothing I did could get them back to breast. It was disheartening both times, but what can you do. One day they where nursing, the next not. My milk dried up equally fast.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Kinrice01
Registered Users
seller

My first weaned at 18 mo ...I had to lead him that way because I needed to have breast lump removal surgery. However, my 2nd and 3rd kids I weaned at 3.5 years old and that included 18 mo of tandem nursing! My 4th I am trying to do child led weaning, she will be 4 years in May and still nurses twice a day. I just set limits. I am due April 1st with #5 so it will be interesting.
Kindra: wife to Chris since 6/01 , Stay at Home, AP, homeschooling Mama to: Seth 11/01, Elissa 10/03 , Noah 9/05 , Emma 5/09 , Luke 4/13 ,stepmom to a U.S.Marine Stephen 10/92 , foster mama to siblings I 12/08, J 12/09, and J 4/14
Kinrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first weaned at 19 months due to my milk drying up due to pregnancy. My second weaned at 2.5. He nursed through a pregnancy and then for 6 months after the baby was here. My last weaned at 19 months. I wasn't pregnant but she gradually reduced her feedings and decided to stop her last feed and lay down and go to bed instead and hasn't asked since.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
dannimom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
I don't consider myself a child-led breastfeeder/weaner, but so far all of mine weaned later than most nurslings I read about here. My oldest nursed until age four years and three months. My second continued until age four years and six months, and I weaned my third ten days before his fourth birthday. My youngest two are still nursing at twenty-nine months and five months.

I guess you can discount this post, since I don't really consider myself a CLW person, but so far all of the self-weaned kiddos on the thread sound so young to me. In any case, I'm only able to nurse as long as I do because I encourage certain nursing limits as my kids grow into their third year and beyond. Usually when I wean it is mother-led, because they will go a few days without nursing of their own choice, but then I don't let them go back after a while. My oldest is ten, and she still asks me sometimes to nurse! I think she's mostly joking, but I wouldn't put it past her to try, and I'm not comfortable with that.
I don't discount you at all! In fact, I aspire to have nursers as enthusiastic as yours have been.
dannimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason&jilliansmama View Post
My earliest weaned cold turkey (his doing not mine!) just shy of 13 months. My longest weaned herself at 17 months.
Weird, this is exactly the same as mine . . .
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote