Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

It seems that elastics wear out first, then PUL, which is why an AIO, cover, or fitted is less likely to last. Just plain old time hurts elastic, not just use.

Polyester fleece lasts really well.

If I were sewing diapers to last, I'd use Mobilon brand clear elastic (from Wazoodle), or I'd sew pockets with elastic loose in a channel so it's easy to access and replace. Both also allow for babies of different sizes.

I think I'd get fabric from the mama at Green Acre Designs, she sells fleece in small quantities and uses Malden Mills types that are the best quality. I'd use Windpro for the outer, and ask her suggestion for inners (babies sometimes have reactions to all cloth). Or I'd get a stretchy Windpro for outers and a non recycled thin wicking fleece for inners from Mill Direct Textiles.

The Darling Diapers pattern is worth buying, just for its directions, which would help you modify your pattern to avoid most common issues.

For stuffers I'd pad fold flats or sew soakers with lots of layers (petal style?). Cotton and hemp might last longest, since hemp is the only one that gets stronger when wet.

Wazoodle's info pages are worth a read, on getting things to last.

Very critical will be washing diapers under the 48 hour mark. Also under the Wazoodle info is how fabric-eating bacteria aren't really present the first 48 hours, but then grow exponentially.

You need stuff that washes very very easily, for your pocket inserts. Flats can last longest because they don't necessarily need a rinse, wash, extra rinse. You can spray then just wash once. Agitation, bleach, borax, oxi clean, sun, and heat help get diapers clean but also damage them.

I'd avoid bamboo, it's a rayon and most delicate. Microfiber also because it loses absorbency over time.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Advertisement

Last edited by TrennaII; 01-12-2013 at 12:51 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stash to hand down through several kids

I would do flats/prefolds with sized PUL covers for days (personally, I would do Thirsties Duos) and flats with wool for nights. I think the most important things will be having a large stash so that the same covers aren't getting washed 2-3 times a week. I would say a dozen or more of each size of cover and 3 dozen of each size prefold (or 4 dozen small flats)
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Prefolds, wool, bummis & MotherEase are the best for multiple children IMO.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

does no one else have problems with the trim on thirsties and bummis covers getting pilly/stained/generally gross after just a month or so? That is one of the other reasons I make my own. My turned and topstitched ones literally look like the day I made them. My Bummis super bright looked worn out in a matter of weeks.
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentrevival View Post
does no one else have problems with the trim on thirsties and bummis covers getting pilly/stained/generally gross after just a month or so? That is one of the other reasons I make my own. My turned and topstitched ones literally look like the day I made them. My Bummis super bright looked worn out in a matter of weeks.
I have not experienced that - mine always look great. Do you dry yours? I don't. I also don't use bleach. If you don't either, maybe its the washing machine agitates more or your water or maybe I am very lucky! LOL
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Mother-ease Sandys. They last forever. And you could probably get by one just two sizes, newborn and small, unless your babies get very large.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the input! This is what I am thinking of working on:

18 closureless nb fitteds
6 side snapping nb fitteds
12 medium fitteds
12 large fitteds (workhorse, sbish, by me)
snappis, boingos, pins

36 small bamboo prefolds
24 large bamboo prefolds

12 small double PUL covers
8 large double PUL covers

4 wool wraps each size

8 nb all in ones for mid-night feeding changes

--these things should last pretty well

2-4 special hand dyed or spoonflower print covers for each baby
4 special wool outfits per size per gender

--this gives me room to be creative and make special things for each baby
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #18
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

flats and covers! i wish i figured this out wayyyy back when, i would have saved a lot of time buying, trying, selling and rebuying to figure this out! luckily we too want more so what i have should last us through more babies!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, PFs, flats, and wool covers are the most durable and will last the longest. However, I purchased 15 BGOS 3.0s just before my ODD turned 1yo, which is when I discovered she was allergic to sposies. I only just pulled those 15 covers out of my stash and put them aside. The PUL is still great but the elastic is very loose and the velcro just isn't very sticky at all. I actually used a diaper belt to keep them closed during use this past year. My girls PL around 3yo. ODD used them for a solid 2 years in a small rotation. YDD used them for 3 years (in a larger rotation). DS has used them for about 9 months but not as frequently. I still use the inserts in our new custom velcro ALVA's pockets. I would love to rebuild my BGOS stash but we just don't have the funds for that. I can get almost triple the number of ALVA's compared to BGOS. So I go with them. They work well...don't know about durability yet (and probably won't since I think DS is our last...but who knows...LOL) Anyway, all that to say that BGOS CAN make it through multiple babies, they're just not pretty. Mine made it through 2.5 children with just a little help from our diaper belt. And honestly, if I would take the time and effort to convert them to snaps and replace the elastic, they would be completely usable again!
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote