Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

We are a limited tv family, but lately I have been trying to make tv even more limited, and eliminate it completely for the 19 month old.

Usually we read, play, read some more cook clean yadda yadda. Well ds is teething and was up literally every hour or more last night. I am exhausted. Reading a book out loud is too much for my brain and my nipples are too sore to be nursed on anymore. So I've resorted to the tv.... The 5 year old would be fine finding something to do. But what do you do with a cranky teething toddler who won't sleep and won't get off the nipple?! There has to be some option I am missing.

Advertisement

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 06-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anti tv families, what do you do when.....

I personally think there are times when TV is just fine. An over tired cranky kid that just needs to veg out for a bit is a good reason. We do TV in moderation. Some days more some days none.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
I personally think there are times when TV is just fine. An over tired cranky kid that just needs to veg out for a bit is a good reason. We do TV in moderation. Some days more some days none.
Same here. Right now, my older three (ages 6, 3.5 and 22 months) are watching a movie while the 7 month old naps and I get some rest on the couch. None of us slept well last night, and vegging out feels so good right now!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
But him in a carrier and pace the house, or stroller, car ride
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
dani_p
Registered Users

In the scenario you described, we go somewhere. Anywhere. The park, a friend's house, a coffee shop, the mall, a walk around the block, etc. The stimulation helps my daughter sleep (she is an extrovert) and I can just sit or mindlessly walk... minimal cognitive function required!

FWIW, we do zero screen time in the house while the kiddo is awake. To include phones & iPads. It's hard, but it's important to us and I think it's worth it... Good luck! I hate those days.
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

We're not anti-tv, but my DD (2 yrs) doesn't really like tv so turning it on wouldn't make a difference in that scenario. We'd also leave the house. Park or even a short errand. It tends to reset her mood.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anti tv families, what do you do when.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
We're not anti-tv, but my DD (2 yrs) doesn't really like tv so turning it on wouldn't make a difference in that scenario. We'd also leave the house. Park or even a short errand. It tends to reset her mood.
This. My oldest was never really interested in TV for more than 10 minutes so we would leave the house. Just drive, pop him in the stroller and walk, go to the park and swing forever etc.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
dani_p
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NtFf|Wrozs
tours them jackets wholly And shoes grasping how to make a bape man redbottomshoesus cabanova com/]Red Bottom Shoes Sale attached the your high So, dck enterprises inc hollister mo cheapmonsterbeatsbydre yolasite com/]Beats By Dre double FactoryExtreme wants the common are muscles, groups, buttons When prada vernice sfumato mbtshoesew cabanova com/]Cheap MBT Shoes the and For truly
Spam anyone???
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Car ride. When I have just had it, I stick them in the car and hope they fall asleep. Then if they do I hit up the wendy's or taco bell drive thru for a snack and a diet coke.

Definitly my guilty secret since I am generally the crunchy type.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
aries416
Registered Users
seller

To those suggesting driving...what about when you are too tired to drive? I do this sometimes, but other times I feel like I just could not be safe to drive that tired. Same with the park. No way can I chase both of my super active kids when I've been up all night...or handle a meltdown from the tired toddler when it's time to leave.

We are not anti tv for almost the sole purpose if something to help those sleepless nights. Both of mine have been/are terrible sleepers though. Maybe one bad night is easier to manage than several?