Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
goMamaMel
Registered Users

HE Washer will be the death of me! HELP!

I am so discouraged.
Recently I moved into a house that has an HE top loading washer. I am at my wit's end. I have never had this many issues with my cloth diapers.
I cannot eliminate ammonia stink no matter what i have tried so far. I have been using disposables on DS for the last couple months because i don't feel confident that I am getting the cloth clean. Most of the time they come out of the washer smelling ok but as i am putting them away i can smell stink still.
We have a new baby due in april, and not only can we not afford to continue purchasing disposables, but i truly WANT to use cloth!

I have tried the following:
setting machine on soak no drain setting, then regular wash cycle
soaking in bucket in plain water before wash cycle
soaking in bucket with oxyclean, biokleen, or tiny bit of dawn
soaking in bucket overnight then doing MANY cycles of wash

WHAT THE HECK DO I TRY NEXT? i have to figure this machine out.
I recently asked if we could get a regular top loading machine just for diapers but it looks like that wont be an option.

I'm desperate for your suggestions!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
dncnshu00
Registered Users
seller

I have an HE top loader and semi hard water. I use Ruby Moon detergent. I set the washer to bulky items which is meant for bedding and uses more water. I do a cold quick wash with nothing in it, then a hot wash with 3 tbs. detergent with a hot extra rinse, then one cold extra rinse. No stinkies after 5.5 months.
dncnshu00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: HE Washer will be the death of me! HELP!

Ihave he front load withslightly hard water. I liked wet pail with a bit of detergent & wash hot & cold rinses. Do u have hard or soft water? How many diapers do you washy together? Do u dryer dry? What detergent? Any to all of these variations may help.......
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Washing with the regular setting doesn't work for me. I agree about checking to see if there's an option that uses more water, such as the bulky/bedding or the heavy duty washes. My HE toploader doesn't have an option to just add more water, but those cycles add more on their ownn.

I start by doing the "speed wash" option with just a tiny bit of detergent as my rinse cycle, and I also start that with a soak. Then I wash it all on the bulky setting with a fair amount of detergent and add an extra rinse to that.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

Try a Pre soak in Funk Rock from Rockin Green. Really works for me!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goMamaMel View Post
I am so discouraged.
Recently I moved into a house that has an HE top loading washer. I am at my wit's end. I have never had this many issues with my cloth diapers.
I cannot eliminate ammonia stink no matter what i have tried so far. I have been using disposables on DS for the last couple months because i don't feel confident that I am getting the cloth clean. Most of the time they come out of the washer smelling ok but as i am putting them away i can smell stink still.
We have a new baby due in april, and not only can we not afford to continue purchasing disposables, but i truly WANT to use cloth!

I have tried the following:
setting machine on soak no drain setting, then regular wash cycle
soaking in bucket in plain water before wash cycle
soaking in bucket with oxyclean, biokleen, or tiny bit of dawn
soaking in bucket overnight then doing MANY cycles of wash

WHAT THE HECK DO I TRY NEXT? i have to figure this machine out.
I recently asked if we could get a regular top loading machine just for diapers but it looks like that wont be an option.

I'm desperate for your suggestions!
HE use less water, so you need more washes. A warm normal wash is my prewash. No my diapers don't stain. Then a long hot wash on whitest of whites. Also you need a good HE detergent and to use the normal amount. This is where you hear a lot about Tide. also bumgenius and country save work well. Bleach is also a FLers. Friend.

Condensed version...
Choose 2 cycles to wash in, warm first then hot..
Use a quality detergent in each cycle.
Then try to use a splash of bleach. Either once and awhile or every load. Whatever your comfortable with.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
mamaspice
Registered Users

I feel you. I am having the same issues.

A little bleach in each load helps, but doesn't completely alleviate the stink.

Long oxy soaks seem to work but it takes forever and I'm worried about wear and tear.

Smaller loads seem to get cleaner.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have pretty much use exclusively pul pockets MF inserts and no idea what kind of water.

My routine -
Dipes in machine, soak cycle (no spin) warm water.
Wash in whitest whites (this is longest hottest cycle on my machine other than sanitize).

I use all free and clear in an amount appropriate to the amount of dipes. I don't believe in residue. I had no luck using natural detergents. I have used other mainstream detergents too. I wash with bleach a couple times a month. Sometimes I throw in some oxyclean.

I never have stink problems with this routine. My inserts are a bit dingy (at 2 yrs old). I've been considering an intensive oxy soak and bleach fest, but it's really cosmetic.

Other than pilling from the Velcro, my dipes are in fine condition. No issues with pul at all.

ps I also put them in the dryer - don't tell cotton babies.

Last edited by AniMommy; 01-13-2013 at 05:39 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what kind of diapers are you using? i have an he front loader and when i do large loads or when i used to have microfiber i had to trick my machine to make more water. i would do a cold rinse/slow spin, add my detergent then add 2qts of water directly on the dipes and then do a hot heavy duty with 2 extra rinses.

i have gotten rid of anything with microfiber and now my typical load is 10ish flats, 12 wipes, 1-2 covers, and 1-2 sbish snapless fitted and i do not have to trick my machine to add more water and everything comes out nice and clean with just 1 cold rinse, 1 hot wash and 1 extra rinse. ease of cleaning was my main reason of switching to flats!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have an he top loader and have hard water. I got rid of all of my microfiber and only use flats with covers and bg elementals. I also use superundies for my 5 year old.

I use all f&c- I used to use Charlie's Soap but is was just not getting my diapers clean.

My was routine is:
normal warm wash with no detergent
long towel setting wash with detergent up to line 2 and an extra rinse

Usually the superundies ail still smell a little like urine, so I will throw them in with the next load of sheets or towels that I do to get them totally clean.

This routine has worked really well for me so far, and I have not had to use bleach at all.