Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can I get a little more advice?

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by clothlover8; 03-11-2013 at 07:42 AM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can I get a little more advice?

I'm a little confused - is it either all of you go or none go? It seems to me that the logical solution is to have dh and dd go since they are involved in the game, and the rest of you stay home. That would save a bunch of money, right?

ETA: And congrats on your financial progress so far! It sounds like you've done a lot of hard work!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought the . same, have dh and dd only, smaller car, less food etc. anything you can sell to help fund the trip?

when will you find out about the extra money he will make? if a commitment had already been made, they really should be there even if it's not fun if the rest of you have to stay home.

i
oh . and . awesome work getting to where you are now!
forgive typos kindle, blegh
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks

Last edited by clothlover8; 03-11-2013 at 07:43 AM.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
JoMarie
Registered Users

I would see if they could get a ride with someone else.
JoMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:
As a person who has played a lot of sports tournament can be expensive or cheap. $1200 for 4 days seems very expensive.

My suggestions:
-Only have DH and DD go if you can't afford it.
-have them carpool or drive another player to reduce fuel costs.
-bring a cooler with lunch and dinner for the first day. Pack fruit and all snack food. Bring a toaster and have toast with peanut butter for breakfast if there isn't breakfast included with the hotel. If the hotel has mini fridges then bring precooked chicken and salad stuff for lunches. Maybe plan for 1 dinner with the team as part of bonding but keep the rest of the meals low cost.
-no "sports drinks". They are incredibly expensive and only water in a reusable container is needed.

Fwiw we go in a big tournament every year in a resort town about 8 hours away. We carpool, stay in basic hotels and make most of our own food an I usually budget about $300 for fuel, food, and accommodations. If I were taking one of our kids with us when they are older I would expect to pay a bit more but the only way we would go is if we could keep the costs down.

I hope you can find a way to make it work in your budget. Tournaments can be a lot of fun!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I think she's in Australia? That would be why the costs are so high
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep in Australia. The accommodation is more expensive than we would usually pay but it was booked by the team manager and we had no choice. Still talking about with dh, will maybe see what this week brings income wise and make a decision from there. He's going to training tomorrow so he's going to ask around and see if anyone has some spare seats. Depends on the outcome after the mechanic too.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hate to say it, but I would honor the commitment if it was already made. That's just me. It's a question at that point of which is more important, the integrity of my word, or saving some money. I actually ended up shelling out $40 to go to a dance show that I was supposed to be in because my ride bailed, so I had to take the bus. It would have been cheaper in gas because most of my gas cost got reimbursed. We didn't really have the money at the time, but I committed to it, so I felt I had to be there.

I would just see about cutting costs wherever possible.

And just some thoughts to next time, when you commit to making a trip like that, put the money aside when you commit. That way there will be no question as to whether or not you'll be able to afford it. The money will be sitting in wait. Then there won't be an issue last minute. Don't touch the money unless it's an emergency, and if you do, be honest about your commitment as soon as you have to dip in to it and cancel the trip then. It's better than having to wait until last minute.
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
nzmum
Registered Users

My Mood:

firstly well done on being current with your bills, that's a great feeling

How much will it cost for DH & DD to go...how much for all of you...how much money will you have at the time?

Also work out how much you need to fix the car & how much for the next lot of bill, what is left over from that?

I think it sucks that you DH is not paid on time & correctly, anything he can do about that?
nzmum is offline   Reply With Quote