Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #31
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I actually think they all smell - disposables and cloth! If it was peed or pooped in and sits around it will stink. I remember my first irl friend that also used cloth. We were over for a girls lunch in her kitchen off of her laundry room (where they were kept). Oh.my.word. it stunk so bad. Come to find out she only did the wash once every TWO weeks and had an ebf baby. I had to defend cloth to the rest of the women pointing out that she was abnormal and that they take their diaper trash out daily and if they didn't take it out for two weeks it would stink the whole house, too. Human waste just plain stinks.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #32
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Okay, sure, cloth will stink if you let it go a week

But I assure you, my cloth don't stink. They did awhile back and we solved that issue.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #33
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Jan 13th - 19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I actually think they all smell - disposables and cloth! If it was peed or pooped in and sits around it will stink. I remember my first irl friend that also used cloth. We were over for a girls lunch in her kitchen off of her laundry room (where they were kept). Oh.my.word. it stunk so bad. Come to find out she only did the wash once every TWO weeks and had an ebf baby. I had to defend cloth to the rest of the women pointing out that she was abnormal and that they take their diaper trash out daily and if they didn't take it out for two weeks it would stink the whole house, too. Human waste just plain stinks.
That's disgusting! I'm imagining the ick and *shudder* bugs that would be in the pail/diapers if I washed that infrequently. Oh gosh. Yuck.
FWIW, we wash when the pail is full, about every 2-3 days. The pail does not stink hardly at all - and that's with toddler poo, with breastmilk poo it doesn't have any smell whatsoever.

AFM: Levi's done so well today - no accidents at all, and he even pooped in the potty! I can't believe how well he's doing!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
That reminds me that in our local diaper chat, a lady was saying her diaper pail regularly got maggots. Turns out she wasn't dumping any poop in the toilet and was washing very infrequently.

Talk about giving cloth diapering a bad reputation!

Course, I will say that we had a horrid fly infestation this last summer/fall because it didn't get cold enough last winter to kill the larvae. But still.... Yuck.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #35
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am always so behind on these chat threads and don't want to quote everyone. But it is interesting about baby's position and where you feel movement. My baby had butt on my left hip, head near my left ribs and feet in my right ribs at my 26wk u/s. I have no idea if baby is still in that position but I feel tons of movement all over. The dr asked if I can tell that baby is smaller than dd. this baby is measuring in 40th percentile for weight and he was estimating that dd was prob about 50th percentile (she was 6lbs 12oz at 37wk5d). But I always measured small for her and had I have extra u/s etc for iugr. So I don't know. But he said baby is developing perfect and everything looks wonderful. So I am happy. For potty training, my dd was 19 or 20 months. She hated wearing diapers and every diaper change was a battle, just for her to take them off and run around naked. So we wet ahead and taught her to use the potty instead of the floor! She had it down in about 2 weeks. We never did pull ups. Just went straight to undies and lots of spare clothes! She has never once had a poop accident (even when she has been sick and had diarrhea) and pee accidents are only if she doesn't want to stop what she is doing to potty. But I wasn't in a hurry to pt, she was! I think if they are ready, it goes fairly well. And you have to find what motivates them. Mine was just praise and being in undies. My sister used m&ms with her dd.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #36
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
That reminds me that in our local diaper chat, a lady was saying her diaper pail regularly got maggots. Turns out she wasn't dumping any poop in the toilet and was washing very infrequently.
OMGoodness

FWIW, I don't do anything with breastmilk poo, just put the diaper in the pail and let the washer do the work!
Once baby starts solids, then we start dumping/swishing the diapers. For us, that usually isn't until 8+ months though, so I'm looking forward to the break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrosie View Post
The dr asked if I can tell that baby is smaller than dd. this baby is measuring in 40th percentile for weight and he was estimating that dd was prob about 50th percentile (she was 6lbs 12oz at 37wk5d). But I always measured small for her and had I have extra u/s etc for iugr. So I don't know. But he said baby is developing perfect and everything looks wonderful. So I am happy.

For potty training, my dd was 19 or 20 months. She hated wearing diapers and every diaper change was a battle, just for her to take them off and run around naked. So we wet ahead and taught her to use the potty instead of the floor! She had it down in about 2 weeks. We never did pull ups. Just went straight to undies and lots of spare clothes! She has never once had a poop accident (even when she has been sick and had diarrhea) and pee accidents are only if she doesn't want to stop what she is doing to potty. But I wasn't in a hurry to pt, she was! I think if they are ready, it goes fairly well. And you have to find what motivates them. Mine was just praise and being in undies. My sister used m&ms with her dd.
U/S aren't the greatest for telling baby's size/weight - they give an error margin of +/- 2lbs... which is really quite considerable! I find it matters more who is doing the measurements and guesstimating.
They kept telling me that Levi was going to be so big and needed to be born and was well over 9lbs... but I felt like he was about the same as DD and DS1, smaller than DS2 - and he was. So to the stupid OB who tried to coerce me into induction. (not my OB, btw)

We need to do pullups for naps (he naps on me still and I don't want to be peed on!) and nights (don't want to wash bedding every morning, and don't expect him to stay dry all night). And an extra change of clothes is in the diaper bag, but with a 45min drive to town, I don't expect him to always hold it that long when we're just starting out.
I do hope to only need this one box of pullups though!

It is different for every kid, and for some there is no motivation at all. DD, for instance. There was NOTHING that worked to bribe her or get her doing it. She knew how to, she'd go for a week without accidents, then she'd decide she didn't want to potty anymore and start peeing and pooping everywhere. With her we ended up needing to wash her off after every accident with cold water in the tub (not sitting her in it, but rinsing her bum and legs). It really sucked with her.
The older boys were... easier than her, but not nearly as easy as Levi has been on us!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #37
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

UGH!! Yesterday I had one of those days!!!!!

And honestly I would have had one of those days if I just stayed in bed and slept bc I was so HORMONAL and cried at everyting.

But I had a Dr appt and had errands to run near my dr appt so I was gone from 9-5 and I was exhausted. It got better when I was home and DD was with me the whole time and she was amazingly awesome. Plus I got major food shopping done at whole foods and ate there too so that was YUMMY!

Had the gluclose screening and it was not as bad as it could be, hope I pass so I do not have to do the long one. I mistakenly went to the deli before the test while pregnant with dd and got a veggie sandwich and a root beer--which by the way I NEVER drink soda but was totally in the mood. We were in the middle of moving South and I was staying with my parents in NJ and my dr was 4 hrs away in NY. So my father drove me to the appt for the 4 hr screening. Of course everything was ok. But it was MISERABLE.

I hope I did not eat anything or drink anything that would make me wonky this time.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Had the gluclose screening and it was not as bad as it could be, hope I pass so I do not have to do the long one. I mistakenly went to the deli before the test while pregnant with dd and got a veggie sandwich and a root beer--which by the way I NEVER drink soda but was totally in the mood. We were in the middle of moving South and I was staying with my parents in NJ and my dr was 4 hrs away in NY. So my father drove me to the appt for the 4 hr screening. Of course everything was ok. But it was MISERABLE.

I hope I did not eat anything or drink anything that would make me wonky this time.
I'm hopping mine was high because i'd eaten some things i probably shouldn't have before. It was just marginally high... but they're still sending me for the long one. Booked that today... had to argue with the booking lady that no an 11am appointment would not be okay... given that I'll have gone to bed at 9 the night before and probalby not eaten since ealier that that. Then still no food for the 2-3 hours of testing. That was just going to be WAY too long without eating. Really evne for testing I don't think the like 16 hours with out eating that adds up to would be terribly healthy for a normal person much less a 6 months pregnant person. I did finally manage to wrangle an 8:30am appointment in the end.

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #39
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie View Post
I'm hopping mine was high because i'd eaten some things i probably shouldn't have before. It was just marginally high... but they're still sending me for the long one. Booked that today... had to argue with the booking lady that no an 11am appointment would not be okay... given that I'll have gone to bed at 9 the night before and probalby not eaten since ealier that that. Then still no food for the 2-3 hours of testing. That was just going to be WAY too long without eating. Really evne for testing I don't think the like 16 hours with out eating that adds up to would be terribly healthy for a normal person much less a 6 months pregnant person. I did finally manage to wrangle an 8:30am appointment in the end.
I am glad you got the appt changed. I would pass out if I had to wait that long. I remember after it was all done I needed to eat but I felt blah the rest of the day.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
UGH!! Yesterday I had one of those days!!!!!

Had the gluclose screening and it was not as bad as it could be, hope I pass so I do not have to do the long one.
sorry about the bad day. for everything to be fine with your test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie View Post
I did finally manage to wrangle an 8:30am appointment in the end.
Why'd you have to book an appt for it?
Here we just go to the lab whenever we choose to, drink the stuff, and have the bloodwork done however long afterwards. You just need to have the lab req from the Dr, but no appt needed at the lab.

Quote:
I am glad you got the appt changed. I would pass out if I had to wait that long. I remember after it was all done I needed to eat but I felt blah the rest of the day.
I've always done the fasting one hour test, but this time, at my last appt, they just did a one hour non-fasting test. I still had to drink a little bit of the crap, then wait an hour, but at least I hadn't had to not eat that morning!
I did end up with a major headache later one in the day though

AFM: Levi's still doing good We're still in the "training" phase, reminding him to go try to pee every hour or so, but a couple times through the day he'll go all on his own. We'll get there. For now it's just nice not to have to change diapers!
I got all his stuff laundered and put away yesterday, went through the whole bin to see what I've got for nb/smalls - definitely lots! Unfortunately I've got a few (5 I think, 1 xs and 4 sm) FBs that have crapped out elastic, so I'll need to repair those when I pull them out. I hate doing the elastics. But it's better than buying more diapers.