Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Toddler sudden sleep issues

DD is 18 months old, she's been sttn since about 10 months...until recently. She now wakes up screaming hysterically around 11:30 each night. She's very hard to console and put back to bed, I type this as she's screaming after dh just put her back to bed. She did just become a big sister so assume that has something to do with it. Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Google the 18 month sleep regression. I'm on my phone, so no links. Babysleepsite is a good one and the askmoxie results should be helpful as well.

Very very normal.

But, with a newborn, I imagine doubly difficult.

DD skipped this one, so I have no personal advice, but those sites should help a lot.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any suggestions on how to minimize or help her through this?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler sudden sleep issues

the comments on these sites should give you tons of ideas.

http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sl...an-be-hardest/
http://alphamom.com/parenting/toddle...tops-sleeping/
http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/01/qa-1...ion-redux.html

hope that helps! Like I mentioned, DD skipped this one, so I have nothing personal to interject.

Hope it passes quickly!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Ours kind of doing this too but we are expecting soon so not sure if for bonding or something. Does well in crib but toddler bed not so well. Mine just last night awoke & thumps down hallway to find mommy because we awoke & mommy was gone. Just some attention & reassurance you still love her. You might want to look into night terrors /bad dreams might be part. I know one night mine had tons of gas so I took it as such..... other 5than that idk what to say. We are there & baby bro not here yet.

My oldest is soon to be 8. She aggs on my 20 month so night time together not good idea but thinking on she starting with mommy & soon to be baby then put in with big sis. No room by herself (20 month) as she doesn't seem to do well with. I can't put one to bed then other so that's not an option.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 01-06-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: adding to thought
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine are doing this too. Thanks for the links.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Making some adjustments to nap time and bedtime, hoping it helps
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 18 months and after sleeping through the night has now had a few issues. I think part of it is a growth spurt (extra hungry!) and teething.
I try to make sure she has extra food before going to bed, a sippy of warm milk, and then she gets a warm bath. I give her a massage after the bath especially her legs. (I remember having leg cramps as a kid during growth spurts. I also give her at least 1/2 banana each day. ) Then I BF her and put her to bed. I found the above helps her to sleep better.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

This just came up in our local FB group, and seems like all the babies in the 17-20m range are going through it! I think some of it has to do with the language boom going on, along with some sickie babies, teething etc... And a new sibling can't help.

Mine has been waking up occasionally in the night and instead of being able to go right back to sleep, she gets so worked up that it takes hours. I've finally figured out that for her it has a lot to do with her growing sense of having an opinion, and language too. She isn't going back to sleep unless it's on her terms. She usually wants something, but she doesn't exactly know what it is... so I'll let her wander around and figure it out. Sometimes it's a hat, sometimes it's a grape, sometimes it's a book etc... I tell her all about how we're going to go get it then it's bedtime, and she seems to understand. So going back to bed takes minutes because she thinks she's doing things her way instead of hours. Phew! And these wakeups are less frequent and haven't happened in a week... so hopefully we're past it. Good Luck!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well the middle of the night waking has gotten less frequent but now she is fighting bedtime. She's never fought bedtime before. She is going through a "spurt" developmentally so maybe that's it? Ugh, so frustrating. If age goes to bed without much fight, she's up in the middle if the night. Dh gets up early for work (between 2:30-3:30 typically), he helps out as much as possible especially with bedtime or if she wakes up in the earlier part of the night since I am up with the newbie. Hoping its just a development thing (all kinds of new skills and language in the past few weeks) and will pass