Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #31
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
I was told Shingles comes on when some one is around some one with CP am I wrong?

I will say all my friends mostly got Shingles before the vaccine was heavily in use, I mean it has only been around for 20 years and not all of that time was it required. I am really curious about the numbers.
No - the shingles usually come out during times of great stress or immunocompromise. My son had the shingles twice and they did not bother him at all. He got them out of no where. You can get the CP from shingles though. I did at 24.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #32
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I want my kids to get it b/c I think it makes their natural immunity stronger than what it would be if they were vaxed for it.

I also think the vax is completely re-donk-u-lous, created for the convenience of working parents, so no one has to take 2 weeks off work while their kid gets over it. Which, IMO is really a bad reason to vax against a typically non-lethal disease. I'm quite frustrated that the vax even exists, and even more upset that it's part of the vax schedule. Ugh.

If your kid is not immuno-suppressed somehow, they likely won't have any lethal reactions to CP.

I also personally think illness is part of life. We get sick so we can have a stronger immune system. I don't want to, nor would I, vax against every possible disease that my kids could contract. Being sick isn't fun for anyone, and of course I don't want to see my kids suffer, but IMO at some point the overall health of their immune system trumps their comfort. If they can be sick and miserable for 2 wks but then healthier than they were before, and likely never contract that same illness again, than to me the momentary discomfort is worth it.

If they made a vax for the Rhinovirus, stating how many people die from this terrible disease each year (and yes, some elderly or immunocompromised people DO die from a common cold), would we all be jumping to give this vax to our kids?

At some point it just gets ridiculous. For me, that's where I am at with the CP vax. It's almost laughable.

I had CP twice as a child. My brother had it once. Every other relative of mine has had CP. No one has had any serious, long-term effects. I've honestly never heard of anyone IRL having any serious effects from CP. I don't count scars as a serious effect.
I think I will just continue to follow you around and say what she said, kay?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
There are many public schools here in NJ that if your child misses 10 days total in a school year your child has to repeat the grade.
I would be completely surprised if:

1) that rule was made BEFORE the vax for CP became "required"

or

2) they actually enforced that even with a valid medical note from a real doctor saying your child has a legitimate, communicable disease that will make them miss school for 14 days.

Also, 10 days would be weekdays, so that would still leave weekends, which is 14 days. Enough time (usually) for CP to run its course.

When I had CP in public school, my mom or dad went to the school and picked up my schoolwork and I completed it at home. No big deal. When I came back, I still had some make-up tests, but I was prepared for them since I'd been doing the work at home.

With so many people that HAVE to work to support their families, that CAN'T afford to lose their jobs, and so many employers squeezing the most out of their employees, allowing X sick days off, etc., it makes sense to me that this vax is for the convenience of all of those people. And far less for the health of the general population.

Again, IMO, it's like vaxing for the common cold. Why? There's no true reason. Yes, it's uncomfortable, but you get it, you get over it, and you move on and your immune system is stronger b/c you had it. I guess I look at our immune systems like muscles - either use it or lose it. I'd rather use mine (and my kids use theirs).
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #34
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
When adults (who had CP as kids) are around kids with chicken pox they get a sort of natural "booster shot" which helps keep them from getting shingles. People who typically got shingles were much older, with weaker immune systems who hadn't been exposed to CP for a long time. Shingles are on the rise because adults aren't exposed to chicken pox anymore.

Interesting though-- in the past children RARELY ever got shingles. Now, with the chicken pox vaccine, kids are getting shingles. While the CP vaccine may save kids from CP, it's creating other side effects that may be worse.
Yup, this. Also, having chickenpox gives you lifelong immunity. The chickenpox vax wears off. That means a lifetime of booster shots OR a higher risk of catching the disease as an adult when it is more dangerous.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #35
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Because I am opposed to the varicella vax. I really hope my children can catch it before their teen years.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #36
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I think people are getting shingles more because our immune systems are crappy. I don't remember exactly when the shot came out but I think it's a little early to assume it's the shot that is leading to more instances of shingles.
the cp vax wasn't out when I was little. I got cp at 18mo and a severe case. I know several people that have shingles that got them around my age too (8 years old)...and they are older than me so no vax to mess them up.

so yep the shot has nothing to do with me getting shingles.

Shingles are showing up more because the baby boomers are getting to the age that they are getting them. Those of us that are younger are getting them just because we are "lucky"
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
stevensmom
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
I was told Shingles comes on when some one is around some one with CP am I wrong?

I will say all my friends mostly got Shingles before the vaccine was heavily in use, I mean it has only been around for 20 years and not all of that time was it required. I am really curious about the numbers.
you can only get shingles if you have the cp virus in you. If you haven't had cp before you cannot get shingles. you can't catch shingles from cp....even though I tell dh I can
BabyBoyBlueBoutique

Last edited by stevensmom; 01-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #38
stevensmom
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
No - the shingles usually come out during times of great stress or immunocompromise. My son had the shingles twice and they did not bother him at all. He got them out of no where. You can get the CP from shingles though. I did at 24.
your son is quite lucky then! When I first got them (at 8) it was horrible! I had them on one side of my back and I could barely function. The pain was horrendous.

now I get them under my eye and yes I can function but again the pain is horrid!

my dad just got shingles on his face this fall and could barely function he also got bells palsey from it (paralyzed face ) which is still there

and yes they do come out of no where...you get the sharp needle like pain and then very very hot feeling and then the blisters start to pop up. If you treat them right away then they disappear quicker.

you can get shingles from CP...but only if you touch the open sores. Believe me I've asked my dr several times. Because I was worried about my students and my own kids getting them.
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stevensmom, what you said makes so much sense, I always wondered how the two tied in, thanks for the information!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
the cp vax wasn't out when I was little. I got cp at 18mo and a severe case. I know several people that have shingles that got them around my age too (8 years old)...and they are older than me so no vax to mess them up.

so yep the shot has nothing to do with me getting shingles.

Shingles are showing up more because the baby boomers are getting to the age that they are getting them. Those of us that are younger are getting them just because we are "lucky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
your son is quite lucky then! When I first got them (at 8) it was horrible! I had them on one side of my back and I could barely function. The pain was horrendous.

now I get them under my eye and yes I can function but again the pain is horrid!

my dad just got shingles on his face this fall and could barely function he also got bells palsey from it (paralyzed face ) which is still there

and yes they do come out of no where...you get the sharp needle like pain and then very very hot feeling and then the blisters start to pop up. If you treat them right away then they disappear quicker.

you can get shingles from CP...but only if you touch the open sores. Believe me I've asked my dr several times. Because I was worried about my students and my own kids getting them.
They say that children under 1 or 2 that get CP are at higher risk of getting shingles. My son was 8 mos when he got them. I bet you being so young has to do with why you get Shingles so much. My son got them on his back. He too was 8 yrs. He felt the hot burning sensation. Being in the medical community, I knew what they were immediately. I called his pedi and they prescribed a med immediately.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote