Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #51
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Funny, back in '93 my ped said the vax was coming out bc of a wohm lobby bc it took too much time off work, and with more 2 income families, people couldn't take off 2 weeks for cp

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 AM   #52
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The varicella vax is a live virus yes? So then I would think you could still get shingles because you have the virus in you even if you never have/had an outbreak.

Not a medical professional here, just thinking out loud.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #53
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o Why do you want your kids to have CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
your son is quite lucky then! When I first got them (at 8) it was horrible! I had them on one side of my back and I could barely function. The pain was horrendous.

now I get them under my eye and yes I can function but again the pain is horrid!

my dad just got shingles on his face this fall and could barely function he also got bells palsey from it (paralyzed face ) which is still there

and yes they do come out of no where...you get the sharp needle like pain and then very very hot feeling and then the blisters start to pop up. If you treat them right away then they disappear quicker.

you can get shingles from CP...but only if you touch the open sores. Believe me I've asked my dr several times. Because I was worried about my students and my own kids getting them.
You cannot catch shingles from the chickenpox. You must have misunderstood your doctor or she must have misunderstood the question. It is possible to catch chickenpox from shingles, although it is fairly rare, not the other way around. In fact, e posure to chickenpox can actually help supppress the likelihood of shingles in some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
For this same reason.

I could be wrong but I think the vaccine leaves you more likely to get shingles than if you had the actuall illness. The vaccine is also not permanant. You need to keep getting booster shots. Typically but not always the illness leaves you with a more permanant immunity.
There arr no boosters for the chickenpox vaccine. It is a series of 2 shots with no boosters.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #54
taylor's mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Yup, this. Also, having chickenpox gives you lifelong immunity. The chickenpox vax wears off. That means a lifetime of booster shots OR a higher risk of catching the disease as an adult when it is more dangerous.
this. i don't want my kids to chance havign the vax wear off when they'r eolder and then have them catch it. my dd had them when she was 3 adn her biggest complaint was that i kept trying to put calamine lotion on her. she never really got that itchy or uncomfortable. i'm hoping to find it for the other 3 kids before the 3.5yo hits school age.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #55
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think the vaccine leaves you more likely to get shingles than if you had the actuall illness. The vaccine is also not permanant. You need to keep getting booster shots. Typically but not always the illness leaves you with a more permanant immunity.
You are more likely to get chicken pox from the disease itself then from the vaccine and that is backed up by research. You can get shingles it from the vaccine but it will be a lot more mild. Shingles is more common because getting exposed to chicken pox after having it is almost like being inoculated against shingles.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 01-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #56
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I see chicken pox as a childhood illness. It's safest to get it as a child. So, I wanted my kids to get it (my girls got it unintentionally, son hasn't had them yet). I wanted them to have immunity to CP when they were teens and adults, but did not want them to have the vaccine.
This.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #57
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Info on shingles http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001861/
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #58
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
They say that children under 1 or 2 that get CP are at higher risk of getting shingles. My son was 8 mos when he got them. I bet you being so young has to do with why you get Shingles so much. My son got them on his back. He too was 8 yrs. He felt the hot burning sensation. Being in the medical community, I knew what they were immediately. I called his pedi and they prescribed a med immediately.
interesting. I got my first case of CP as a baby, second case around age twelve, and I've had shingles twice.