Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
2wonderfulboys
Registered Users
seller

What do I do with toys?

I need to go through my kids toys. Lots of things don't get played with and are just taking up space (making a mess). Some of these toys are like new, hardly played with. Part of me wants to pack them up and take them to a cosignment shop, because after all the extra $ isn't a bad thing. The other part of me just wants them gone, off to GW. I am currently pregnant and trying to declutter/reorganize before baby gets here. I am just so overwhelmed with everything, and my mess keeps growing! What do you ladies do with toys that your getting rid of? Also putting them in a box and swapping them out is not an option. We don't have enough storage spaced for things as it is.

Advertisement

2wonderfulboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do I do with toys?

A few things go to friends or family that I know would like them, but most get donated. I have never taken any to a consignment shop, as they always have so many toys when we go. I rarely have anything that's worth the time and effort of selling. I think the only thing I've ever sold were the wooden play kitchen and my son's old wooden train collection.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I donate it all, just to avoid the hassle. Unless I could easily sell it and get my money's worth (or it was a high dollar item) I prefer just to let it go and get it out of the house.

I like to imagine someone shopping at Goodwill and being excited to find something nice.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Yep, just donate toys here too.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordbox View Post
I donate it all, just to avoid the hassle. Unless I could easily sell it and get my money's worth (or it was a high dollar item) I prefer just to let it go and get it out of the house.

I like to imagine someone shopping at Goodwill and being excited to find something nice.
Me too
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Yep, just donate here unless it's a very big ticket item, then I might consider going to a consignment store. Could you get rid of some of their well-used toys and put those hardly used items in a central place so they'll be more inclined to use those thus allowing you to part with some things that have already been used plenty?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I donate most stuff we get rid of but I did something different with the toys. I bagged them up in huge garbage bags and placed an ad on CL. I sold them all for $20 and I had someone here at my house in an hour. 4 bags gone and I made some money.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
ZnBmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in the process of adding to a huge donate box, I found trying to take the time to weed out to resell made me less motivated.

Hunting and pecking for fresh baby and children's deals! Follow me! CheapMamaChick on Facebook
& Cheapmamachick.com
ZnBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just donate them to get them out of the house ASAP. Cause toys that are unplayed with and are found near the door in a box become instant "favorites" for some reason lol.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
We just donate them to get them out of the house ASAP. Cause toys that are unplayed with and are found near the door in a box become instant "favorites" for some reason lol.
Ha ha ha! A few years ago I was trying to help my mom clean up and purge junk, and I had to sneak things out in black trash bags. My younger sisters, who were teenagers, were somehow SUPER attached to old barbies they hadn't played with in ten years, and toddler size clothing. It was kind of weird... But also kinda funny when I got over my frustration.