Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #121
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Cynthia - It is amazing how much a TV show can affect kids behavior! That's why I don't let my kids watch shows like Rugrats. Usually the PBS shows are okay, but you never know. One of my 5 year olds will always pick up on the negative aspect of a show. I have to be really careful. Glad it is getting better!

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #122
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Do they do special homeschool classes or was this something they do all the time? I'm guessing that you are talking about the one at Crown Center. It is on our to do list for our stay-cation the week before Easter. If there are classes we could sign up for, I'd like to do that.

AFU: Things are going reasonably smoothly although, DD2 lied to me today about doing her math. I asked her to show me her work and she brought out a lesson from two days ago. I called her on it and she went to her room to "find" today's work. She came out 30 minutes later with it done. Really, must we go through this?
It was for Homeschool week at crown center. I think next year we might stay over night and do more. We live an hour away.

Afu today... Did went to Spanish tutoring and we stayed home and did or school and played with the Lego the boots bought
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #123
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had the same problem with the Cailou show awhile back and DH was the one that picked up on it one day when he was home from work.

We have switched to year round school this year and yes we take a day off here and there occasionally as well, we took off WAY to many days just before and following the holidays so I'm trying hard to not taking anymore days off until the middle/end of February. We are hoping to get away for a few days and either go to the Dells (7hrs) or KC (3hr)--???

DD's attitude toward the Assessment testing yesterday was great, I think she knows I'm already stressed to the hilt with her brother right now, lol.

I sat down and talked to DS yesterday about the attitude etc. There have been some people that have told him he is "stupid" because he is homeschooled (great friends huh), I know that there are larger HS groups about an hour from us so I'm going to see if there are any activities that I can involve him in with other HS'ers. We also talked about our curriculum, what he likes and dislikes.
Math--Saxon
Hx--BJU (ok with it--likes it better than the winterpromise DD is doing)
Science (we haven't done much but he enjoys if it is done in a unit study type style)
Dislikes:
Grammar and Punc: Evan Moor workbook
Spelling: Evan Moor workbook
Geography: Evan Moor workbook (so so on this)
Phonics/Reading: Hooked on Phonics (he told me he HATES this), readers

I'm open to suggestions on the dislikes?? He said he really doesn't like all of the cut/paste type activities in the workbooks. DD uses a workbox and we talked about that a bit, he would like to know EXACTLY what he has to do each day so I am thinking about setting something up like that for him as well.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #124
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, I don't know anything for the grammar that's not a book, either workbook or textbook. You could try doing it outloud instead of him writing it.

Spelling you could maybe make some games with it? Or, depending on how old he is (I don't remember if you said), drop it altogether for awhile. We really don't do spelling. I make sure they know the phonics rules and beyond that we do some vocabulary that pertains to the story they're reading, but we don't test. I just make sure they know meanings, know how to look things up in the dictionary, and correct spelling as I see it.

I know I could come up with some ideas for geography, too, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

How often do you do the subjects he doesn't like? Could you make them a couple times a week subjects instead of an every day subject?

Oh, and Hooked on Phonics. I have Sing, Spell, Read, and Write level one (he would have to know basic letter sounds and the letters) if you want it. You would need to buy the student workbook (and assessment book if you want it), but you could have the bulk of it for the cost of shipping. Not knowing exactly where he is, it might not work for you, but it is an excellent program that has a workbook, but also has games and songs.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #125
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone, about cailou. Honestly I feel like a bad mom that I didn't pick up on it sooner . Oh well, we're correcting it, and that's what matters.

Mysweetseven-I wish I had some suggestions, but as dd is the only child I've homeschooled so far, I really don't. As far as doing the dreaded subjects go though, can you try o get them out of the way early? I try to plan a fun activity that I know dd likes, but tell her she can only do it if she finished the other work she doesn't like as much.

Also, dd and I have been doing some things with our local hs group, and it definitely improved her attitude toward homeschooling. She was begging to go to ps at the begining of the year, but now she doesn't want anything to do with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #126
croark
Registered Users
seller

This has been a long day! We didn't even start school until after lunch. But we finished it. Glad we only have 4 day school weeks. We are DONE for the week. Thank goodness. It has been a good school week but it felt long. I guess because we've been so busy. I hate busy.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #127
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cynthia - Don't feel like a bad mom at all. We all make mistakes and miss things, especially when it comes to TV. I am definitely guilty of making some TV mistakes. I love TV myself and of course, I'm let my kids watch things I later realized was a mistake. Most recently, I let my 5 year old (4 at the time) watch Dancing With the Stars with me. I really enjoy the dancing. We would talk about the clothing and what isn't modest or appropriate. I did sort of feel like maybe I shouldn't be letting her watch it, but I ignored that. Well, it turned out the clothing wasn't the problem. She started trying to dance like an adult, like the women on there, not appropriate at all. It didn't even occur to me that would happen. I immediately stopped letting her watch it and realized I was wrong. I've gotten more and more strict as I've made mistakes. Now, I'm really quite strict about, but it's been a learning experience, unfortunately. And, yes, I did feel like a bad mom, but we all make mistakes. What makes us good moms is recognizing and fixing them.

Mysweetseven - That is great you were able to have a talk with him. He's had a bad attitude, but the fact that he was still willing to discuss it with you is a sign you have a great relationship with him. I'm sorry those other kids have been mean. Words are so hurtful. It just breaks my heart to hear other kid saying mean things. We were just dealing with this today. My 5 year old son has a tendency to get picked on. I admit, he isn't all innocent, but still it breaks my heart. We had a playdate today. My 7 year old and 5 year old confessed to me that the 5 year old was getting picked on and called a baby. So, we were discussing siblings sticking up for each other. (Along with not name calling and instigating which leads to others doing the same to you. ) Anyway, sorry, that just strikes a cord with me.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on the curriculum. But, I'm happy your son is communicating with you and you can work on the issues together.

AFU - No school today. We had a playdate instead. It's been a while since my kids have been so sick this season. They all had a blast. (Except apparently there was some name calling I didn't know about, but overall, they definitely had fun.) And, it was SO nice for me to have some social time too. I really need to work harder to find us friends in the area. (We moved here about 2 years ago. We have no friends at all in the area. This was a friend from where we used to live. She is about halfway between the two areas and about 40 minutes from here.)

We did have a break through moment today though. We have a chore chart. One of the chores that is available, but I don't assign (yet) is read for 20 minutes. Zack came to me and actually asked to do it! We picked an Easy Reader. He read 4 or so pages in the 20 minutes (he is slow). He was into the book, so he wants to finish it today! We haven't yet because I really had to get up and make dinner. But, the break through is that he WANTED to read!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #128
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
I want to join!!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #129
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpendergraff View Post
I want to join!!
Okay...we will take a vote to see if we will let you.

Just kidding!! Glad to have you!! How old are your children? What are you using for schooling?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #130
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs

Okay...we will take a vote to see if we will let you.

Just kidding!! Glad to have you!! How old are your children? What are you using for schooling?
Haha.

My DD will be 5 next month and I have a 14 month dd who follows us everywhere.

As for what I'm using?

Ha.

I have the Explode the Code books, but mostly I let her lead. She wants to learn about shells-oceans so this week we've been reading books about those topic.

Today I made a page with two sand buckets out of construction paper (one purple, one pink) and had her add seashells and subtract sea shells. I wrote down numbers in purple and pink and had her place corresponding sea shells in each bucket and then do the math. (Hope that makes some sense). She loved it!
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote