Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
I get so stressed out about standardized testing. Are you required to do them or are they optional?
Required for grades 3-9. We're in grade 9.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post

Well I ordered it today after all! Plus a few other things ;-)
Awesome. I hope you enjoy it. it sells well if you don't.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so glad we don't have to do standarized testing. Good luck to those of you that do!

I *think* Keegan is getting a bit better with blends, so I'm trying not to get to excited thinking that maybe we'll be doing a lot better soon. He doesn't seem to be struggling as much as he was last week, so I *hope* we're over the worst of it. Time will tell.

We checked out Charolette's Web from the library so for three days all I've heard is "One more chapter, mom!" We finished it today.

The kids are picking up quite a bit of sign language with the signing time movies. Unfortuantly, one of their favorite things to do in sign language is argue. At least it's a bit quieter than the out loud version, lol.

All in all things have been going well here. Roman got his car fixed so we will be on to gymnastics this afternoon and church this evening and hopefully tomorrow will be another great day. But I'm kind of with Kristin though, it could just be the calm before the storm. There's always bad days up ahead somewhere.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Jen - That's great Keegan is doing better. Zack is so frustrating to read with. He really dislikes doing it. He can do it, but it's very slow and he has to be helped a lot. Like, I am constantly asking "what does /ir/ or /ph/ or /sh/ or whatever" say. When he feels tripped up, he suddenly can't even read a simple cvc word. Plus, he is constantly guessing which drives me nuts. It's such a struggle because it isn't like he doesn't mind doing it, but struggles. He complains the ENTIRE time. He twists his hands and feet and will even hit himself when he is wrong. I try so hard to stay calm and patient, but it's hard. I know you are doing something, what is it? I think I might make some flash cards with the "special sounds" from the reading chart and go over them daily. I can't wait till he is reading fluently and this is no longer an issue. I'll gladly trade this issue for some other one. It takes him at least an hour to do his Bible reader and we both dread those days, though I try not to act like I do.

For us for today, we didn't do anything yet. I had a friend call and want to come over at the last minute. I don't think she realizes that we actually do school at home. I let her come because I so desperately need the socialization. Also, she helped me fold my laundry. LOL. Yesterday, my mom was here. So, we haven't gotten as much done as I'd like, but we are managing to get just enough done.

I hope to get most of his work done this afternoon.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Jen, glad to hear things are going better. My oldest loved Charlotte's Web. Do y'all watch the movie, too? I haven't seen the newer one that came out a few years ago, but love the old animated one.

Heather, you might try making flash cards with the blends or sounds he's struggling with and doing a Go Fish type game. Or make a Bingo type game. Spend some time just playing games until he's more comfortable with the sounds. I have a copy of Sing, Spell, Read, and Write that you are welcome to have, if you can at least help cover the shipping. It wouldn't have the workbooks with it, but maybe the songs and the books would help him.

AFU, Autumn went to set up an experiment for her science Monday, but I had forgotten to go through the chapter to make sure we had everything, so she's catching up today. Natalie decided to pitch a fit about math because I couldn't help her with it the second she needed help. We're taking a break at the moment due to that. I think she's reacting to the fact that DH is going to deploy soon. I don't think she realizes what she's doing, though. Aiden and I are going to make clouds later. Tonight is AWANA for the younger two and youth group for Autumn.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Heather--I wouldn't say the Keegan is exactly out of the woods yet, but last week I was moaning and groaning about the color coded spelling program and word family stuff that we're doing. It was terrible. And just so you know...Zack's reading sounds a lot like Keegan's reading the way you typed it out there. Are you sure he's not just memorizing words? That's what keegan does the most of, and then if he comes to one he doesn't know, he will guess any word that makes sense. Like if he comes to the word "small" he may guess "tiny" even though none of their sounds are the same. It's very frustrating. And I definatly understand how hard it is to be patient. I am not naturally a patient person, and this is very, very hard for me. Keegan also has the issue if he gets flustered then he cannont read *anything*. So I usually have him take a break, but then sometimes that makes him upset. It's just so hard for him. And it kills him that it comes easily to Rachel.

Usually on Bible Reader day I have Rachel read it first. That way Keegan gets the jist of things before he has to tackle a lot of those harder words. He does just try to remember what it says sometimes, but surely some of those words are sinking in. I hope. How would Zack do if you read it over with him first? Then we do something else (fun) after Bible readers, then we come back and read it again, to work on fluency and help reenforce what they read. And if I think about it and we have time I will also have them read it to DH when he gets home.

As for what we're doing...it's color coded spelling. It's not fun, and I think the program may be the death of me. The pediatic optometrist has assured me it will work in the end. If you want to try it, here's what you do. Make some cards with the ends of word families on it. Like "at, uck, ape, ug" etc. Make those in black. Then in red, make the beginning sounds. You use single letters and blends. So "c, th, sh, p" etc. If you are going to work on the "at" family, put it down in the floor, and pick out 6 or so beginnings. Place them around the "at". You start off going "I'm thinking of the word "pat". He finds the "p", puts it on, and says "P, /p(sound)/, pat". You keep going until you use all the beginnings. Then you would go through the beginnings again, putting one down on the end. If you put down a c, he would say the letter, the sound, and the word--c, /c/, cat. Then you go through again and have him just read the words as fast as he can, he doesn't do letter sounds or anything on the last one, it's just a speed drill. Let's say the last word of the speed drill is "that". You would take away all the cards, and then have him write it in the air with his finger. That's very tough for Keegan--the dr said one of the major reasons he has trouble reading is that he cannot visualize the words. Then have him erase the imaginary "th" and put another letter and ask him what it says. That took forever to type out (sorry, hope I didn't put you to sleep!), but it doesn't take that long to do. We're supposed to do that a couple times a day, and in a couple months he's supposed to be worlds ahead of where he was. We'll see. And just a warning going into it (if you try it) things are likely to get worse before they get better. Expect it to take about 6 weeks before you see any good results, and things are supposed to be great around the 3 month mark. We're about 4 1/2 weeks into it, and I think we might be over the worst of the worst.

Thanks for the books of the Bible song, by the way!!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Man another day with a less than stellar start time. Will it.ever end? Lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
croark
Registered Users
seller

We got a late start today as well. Yesterday too. But we still managed to finish. That's all that matters, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You finished. That is a successful day to me!

Jen - Zack is fine with blending basic sounds and cvc words. Today we did page 74 in the blue workbook. He had no trouble at all reading all 4 sentences at the bottom of the page. He needed no help at all. Well, I think I helped him with "bush," but that was it. He did it in a very reasonable time too. Doing his phonics with him was a pleasure today. I don't understand why he can't do this when we are doing his Bible reader or even every day he isn't doing the Bible reader. Days like today are few and far between, but he totally can do it. So, I don't think he needs the same blending practice that Keegan does. However, I did make flash cards for the "special" sounds and we will be using those daily either for just quizzing or in games. He did them today and complained, but I think it will help. Zack's biggest problem is his attitude toward reading. When his attitude is good, he does great. When it stinks, he does very poorly. As I always say, "attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."

As for reading the story to him in the Bible reader first, I purposely don't do that. He already is very good at guessing what it is going to say simply because I've already read him expanded version of the story from the manual. He has a very good ability to memorize and remember the words. If I read it to him ahead of time, he won't be practicing sounding it out much. ETA - I read him the whole thing after he is done. End ETA. I've tried having him read the same story twice, like you do. He really hates reading it over again. Plus, I don't know how long it takes you to have yours read it, but it usually takes Zack at least an hour due to lack of focus and attitude along with the struggling. I don't have 2 hrs a day to do it. Which leads to the question...how long does it take Keegan and how long does it take your daughter, who is better at it? (I can't remember her name. )

As for today, it turned out to be a very good homeschooling day. Zack finished his phonics in record time. We started a new math thing. He is doing Singapore, but I wanted something for helping him memorize his math facts other than flash cards. Someone in another thread pointed me to xtramath.org. It is totally cool! It tracks his progress. He really enjoyed it. So, we are moving along in Singapore and he will be doing this daily also. (I signed myself up too. I like to experience what they are doing. Plus, I thought it would be good to better my math skills since I'm not super fast. I got a 95% the first time. Then, I had my husband do it. He got 99 and only because of typos. I graduated from the addition my second time through. Then I discovered that when you have it mastered, it has a print out certificate. Zack is going to LOVE that. He loves being recognized.)

Onto tomorrow!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #30
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quiet today. I hope everyone had a good day.

We had a very good day. My 1st grader seems to be getting better and better at reading. While his attitude still stunk, he did so much better reading is Bible reader today than normal. I feel like we might be starting to turn a corner, or maybe we are just having a good week. Who knows. LOL! Anyway, we did math, phonics, Bible/history and actually got in music and art appreciation. Woo Hoo!! Oh and I got to the library too. But, when it was bedtime, my 2 year was running a fever. We will see what tomorrow holds. Hopefully, no sick kids. I'm so tired of us being sick.