Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

I was hoping to use a doula for this baby's birth since it is my first. I am not sure that it will be a possibility due to the cost. I am also not sure it is completely necessary.

Is anyone willing to share their birth experience with or without a doula? I am hoping for a natural birth.

AdventureME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Doula

On the cost issue, contact doulas & ask your care provider for suggestions on them, ask the doulas if they would do a sliding scale or smaller payments over time, if you find doulas who are working towards their certification they may do it for a discount or even free. I found my doula on craigslist & she was doing them for free working on her certification but when I called she had filled her requirement, but since the ad was still up she took us for free!

I would not have had the natural birth I did without my doula. My nurse was a tool & only asked me when I arrived (without knowing how long I was in labor, any sort of dilation, nothing) if I wanted the epi, when I said no I was trying for natural she replied "oh I've never seen a natural birth before" *facepalm*. In a birthing center that totes on their "natural" status. I should have asked for a different nurse but I didn't know I could. The nurse sat in the corner & hooked me to monitors every once in a while. Didn't say a single word, encouraging or not. My CNM wasn't even in the room until I needed to push. My doula was my birth saver. She arrived at the center just as we did, kept me walking, told the nurse we weren't going to be on the monitors the whole time (like she had wanted to hook me up at first), asked for a birthing ball (that was AMAZING, but I didn't even know they had & the nurse was no help, just pointed to a closet & my doula fetched it), made sure we could use the shower (& asked if I could birth in it, but that was a no), showed us pressure points for my back labor (that was caused by a posterior babe, my doula knew this but my nurse & CNM didn't? big red flag on the care providers). I would not have made it through the birth the way I did without her doing those things. I would have had no idea how to deal with the crazy back labor (without my buffer because my water broke to start labor). She was amazing. & she was the one who helped my daughter latch & started us off on a wonderful & long breastfeeding relationship. I tried to find her for my second birth & she had left the area, the doula I did get into contact with didn't get back to me until I had already had my baby & she was an hour away so she may not have made it here in time anyways, she would have been handy to help with me while hubs tended to our daughter or the other way around. This time I can't find a doula again, but our midwife is bringing both of her assistants so we have extra hands when & where we need them (I have no family/friends in state so our birth team is it!)

Last edited by Ixchel; 01-15-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Ixchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Doula

we didn't get a doula, because of the cost and because i just didnt feel comfortable with someone i didnt really know being there, i wanted it to be just me and DH. in the end we were both so tired, i started to deviate from my birth plan and he quit reminding me what i wanted. i think a doula might have helped me refocus, but then again i was pretty exhausted so maybe not. we're not doing one again this time, but dh and i are going to discuss different plans for this time around.
Jenna - wife to Harrison since 2007, and proud mama to miss Matilda Quinn(Sept-06-11) and mr Felix Byron (May-25-13)
jennayoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote