Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
need some ideas..

I'm on the road to greening our cleaning and personal care and I need some ideas of replacements for somethings...

Lotion.. Can I use coconut oil? That would work great for diaper cream, hair cream, body lotion...right?

Dr bronners for hand soap, dish soap, and body soap?

Need a new bar soap for HM laundry. Ivory works but is it non toxic? FN is giving us rashes. Also my recipe has oxyclean, is there a better version of that?

Toothpaste? Not really wanting to make that unless its super easy and only uses ingredients I'm already using.

Deoderant stone...can DH and I use the same stone or do I need two?

We already use vinegar and baking soda for most cleaning.. And TTo and LO for essential oils for scenting...

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Brinklen
Registered Users

Re: need some ideas..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
I'm on the road to greening our cleaning and personal care and I need some ideas of replacements for somethings...
First off, YAY to you for greening! It's a matter of trial and error, but the initial jump is the scariest...then it becomes addicting! It sounds like you're already on your way to being addicted!

Lotion.. Can I use coconut oil? That would work great for diaper cream, hair cream, body lotion...right?
Yes to all the above. I also use pure shea butter as a body lotion. I found some on eBay sourced from Africa and I pay ~$8 for 8 oz. which sounds like a lot, but will last me over a year (I alternate btw CO and shea in the winter when it's really dry). I use very little CO on my hair as little goes a looong way for me (I'm a "no poo"er).

Dr bronners for hand soap, dish soap, and body soap?
Yes to this, too. My go-to soap. Find it on-line for cheaper! I know some places let you do monthly shipments, which reduces cost. Score! Also, adding a bit of vinegar to your rinse water in the sink will help clean the dishes, and it removes soap build-up on skin if you rinse with it, as well. I add a bit of washing soda to the dish water, too.

Need a new bar soap for HM laundry. Ivory works but is it non toxic? FN is giving us rashes. Also my recipe has oxyclean, is there a better version of that?
I have tried Dr Bronner's for this, too, with success. Double bonus: you can use the bar and "melt" it down OR the liquid. There are recipes online for this. If I can find mine, I'll send it your way. (I use FN with no issues and love the smell) Also, I use vinegar with a splash of euc EO spritzed on damp clothes before drying as a "fabric softener." Still keepin' it green!

Toothpaste? Not really wanting to make that unless its super easy and only uses ingredients I'm already using.
What ingred are you already invested in? There are a few options for this...

Deoderant stone...can DH and I use the same stone or do I need two?
My DH and I used to share one with no issues except his "ick" factor. But if you are concerned about aluminum, you might want to research this one more.

We already use vinegar and baking soda for most cleaning.. And TTo and LO for essential oils for scenting...
One other thing, I've found I get these weird oil-like stains with any laundry detergent I use, so I always have baby powder and cornstarch on hand to dust the stain and remove the oil without chemicals. Since you may already have these items, it's a good way to have them do double-duty!

Good luck!

P.S. Sorry for the length! Cleaning is fun for me and takes a few more words to express when written!
Brinklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: need some ideas..

Re: Bar soap. Ivory has a reputation for being hypoallergenic, but as my allergist would note, very few allergic people find it a better option. As bar soaps go, Kirk's Castille is about as hypoallergenic as they come, although do not expect it to do half the work that, say, fels naptha does. I'm under the impression that it's really very hard to make your own green and hypoallergenic laundry soap that works well. Thrifty laundry soap for sure--green less so. As for oxyclean, oxybrite or biokleen oxygen bleach are more natural.

Most of the things you are asking for input on are going to be very individual. I tried to exclusively use coconut oil for moisturizing (other than for hands) for a few weeks. I was less than happy with the results and am now trying to mix it with other butters to see if that works better (be forewarned that, if you have a rubber allergy, you may need to avoid shea butter which contains a natural latex). The coconut oil was also too much for my hair even just applying the little extra on the surface of my hands after having moisturized my body (p.s.--expect there to be a lot of extra on the surface and to run around in your towel for a while, as this mode of moisturization takes a long while to sink in). However, that was with the hopes of washing my hair every 36-48 hours as I do in the winter instead of every day; for every day washing I could probably use some coconut oil in the hair. Similarly deodorant stones do nothing for me at all, but I'm not a light sweat-er and smell-er. But they are an answer for some people.

I'm currently trying earthpaste toothpaste (which could also easily be made from its readily available ingredients). It's too soon to tell what I think of it. I have sensitive teeth and so forth that will tell me what they think of it in a couple of weeks . But I think I'm rather pleased. Actually what I am really starting to like (but again time will tell) is my recently vamped up peelu powder. I didn't like the powder on its own, but I added some powdered calcium citrate and magnesium glycinate and a little cinnamon to it and am really quite liking it now. It's inconvenient in that the container the peelu powder comes in is useless, and after you empty it into a small jar, you have to dip your toothbrush in every time.

I've not tried Bronner's on dishes (although I do quite like his pricey lotion!). While I have tried several more "green" options on my dishes, the only "green" option that has worked much for me is seventh generation's dish liquid.

I hope something in there helps. I'm learning it takes a lot of trial and error for me.

I did recently discover that 1/3 cup olive oil w/ 2/3 cup lemon juice and 5 drops of lemon oil is wonderful on the wood paneling in this house--haven't tried it on furniture or floors yet.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote