Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Natural alternatives to febreeze and lysol

A neighbor of mine who is OCD is interested in reducing her chemical use. I have some solutions for my own home, but I'm not OCD and so am not necessarily so picky. I told her I thought I could make up some mixtures for her to try.

I know some women here have used water with baking soda and EOs as a febreeze for fabrics and air. What ratio? What EOs? Are there some that stain? Does this mixture get funky after a bit, or does it last a long time? (I do not have any vodka around to make that variation). Also do any of you use rubbing alcohol with EOs as an alternative? I may just give her a sample amount of my biokleen bac-out as a febreeze replacement, but I'd like to hear about this.

I know a lot of ladies here use 50/50 water and vinegar with some EOs and a dash of dish soap to clean. I know that a lot of EOs are antibacterial, antifungal, and sometimes antiviral. But for someone who is hooked on lysol, what would be a strong enough EO? I use wipes with thymol, but I don't have thyme EO on hand. Does Eucalyptus work just as well in a lysol substitute? I'm planning to avoid TTO. And can this cleaner work just as well as the febreeze substitute on the air and upholstery?

TIA.

EOs I have on hand include lemongrass, cedarwood, sage, basil, lime, clove, lavender, bergamot, tangerine, lemon, eucalyptus, and mint.

Advertisement

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 03-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Subbing. I was just wondering this this morning
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Natural alternatives to febreeze and lysol

Another recipe I came across for an all purpose cleaner (but not to be used as febreeze) that might be more suitable for someone like me who is sensitive to vinegar smells is: 2 cups water, 1/2 cup vinegar, 3/4 cup peroxide, a little dish detergent, and 40 drops EO If I can get some solid EO advice, I might make this one for her in addition to a febreeze recipe.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
A neighbor of mine who is OCD is interested in reducing her chemical use. I have some solutions for my own home, but I'm not OCD and so am not necessarily so picky. I told her I thought I could make up some mixtures for her to try.

I know some women here have used water with baking soda and EOs as a febreeze for fabrics and air. What ratio? What EOs? Are there some that stain? Does this mixture get funky after a bit, or does it last a long time? (I do not have any vodka around to make that variation). Also do any of you use rubbing alcohol with EOs as an alternative? I may just give her a sample amount of my biokleen bac-out as a febreeze replacement, but I'd like to hear about this.

I know a lot of ladies here use 50/50 water and vinegar with some EOs and a dash of dish soap to clean. I know that a lot of EOs are antibacterial, antifungal, and sometimes antiviral. But for someone who is hooked on lysol, what would be a strong enough EO? I use wipes with thymol, but I don't have thyme EO on hand. Does Eucalyptus work just as well in a lysol substitute? I'm planning to avoid TTO. And can this cleaner work just as well as the febreeze substitute on the air and upholstery?

TIA.

EOs I have on hand include lemongrass, cedarwood, sage, basil, lime, clove, lavender, bergamot, tangerine, lemon, eucalyptus, and mint.
Biokleen makes a fabric freshener. We use it as a bathroom spray, but it says its for fabrics
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Poohbear,

Do you mean Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover?

Ty.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Poohbear,

Do you mean Bac-Out Stain and Odor Remover?

Ty.
No, it's different. We have the bac-out stain and odor remover too, but the fabric freshener comes in a smaller bottle, and it specifically says fabric freshener. Scents were lemon and lavender- we have both and they smell great
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, interesting! It's not on vitacost yet. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Oh, interesting! It's not on vitacost yet. Thanks for the tip.
We got it from luckyvitamin- it's $5.09 on there- http://m.luckyvitamin.com/p-70758-bi...lavender-16-oz
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks--that looks great! I'm going to give her some of my bac out just b/c she has a lot of stains and odors to deal with from her late dog. So that will handle everything. I also made her an all purpose 50/50 vinegar water mix with a little dish detergent and lots of EO that I hope will work ok (since the bac out will cover the fabric uses, I didn't feel as much of a need to hear what EOs stain, etc.). I don't like the smell of it myself b/c I don't like such a strong vinegar scent.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

p.s.--I used lots of eucalyptus b/c it is supposed to be similar in powers to TTO.