Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much do you pay your babysitters?

Ok first of all I live in Michigan, not New York. I know the prices really vary state by state. If there are any Michigan, Indiana or Ohio mommies, please tell me how much you pay your babysitter. I have two twin girls coming that are going to watch my kids but are doing it for volunteer time. So, I'm hoping I can at least pay them something but I don't know if it will count against them or not. So if I can I want to pay them something fair but can't really do top dollar.

Thanks!

Mandi

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much do you pay your babysitters?

Well, we live in Grand Rapids, MI and we pay $8/hour but we found out that is a little steeper than most are paying. . . for girls in my neighborhood, most are paying them $5/hour. But we have two and I don't mind since they are our friends' daughters. HTH!
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

im in GA but i think it really depends on several things.....how old the babysitter(s) are, how old your child is, and how long you will be gone.....i nanny so i charge more than a regular babysitter but when i was a teenager id get $8-$12 an hour per child, but id give the parents a discount if say they were going to be gone from 8a-8p, kwim?
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in GA, i only pay 90 for the week for my child. However if she keeps Landon outside of regular hours she charges $5.00/hr (this weekend she watched landon for me and I paid her $50 for the whole day But I really needed it b/c i was going to a ladies bible study that morning and had to go help my mom move that afternoon...luckily we had paid one bill in advance and that gave me the extra money. I had a college student to offer for $7.00 and another college student to offer for free....it really depends.

I've kept 3 boys before and gotten 60-70 something dollars for the day.

Good luck mama! If they are doing it strictly to volunteer then you can meet somewhere in the middle...kwim?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so jealous of all of you who pay around 5 dollars. I pay 12 dollars for a babysitter and the average in this area is 15 dollars but we are in crazy california in the bay area so everything is crazy expensive
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm from GA, and I usually pay around 6 dollars an hour for a teenager and usually more for someone older like a friend.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In Maine I have found it varies greatly. We have one that charges 10.00/hr and she's GREAT and needs the money so if I've got it I don't mind giving it to her. She's 18'ish, has her own car, etc

Then I have a couple of friend's daughters and a hirl in the neighborhood that we give 5-6/hour. They are much younger and good for running out in the afternoon or while we're home but need to get things done type of occassions. The 10/hour one will bathe Joey, feed him, etc and the house will be picked up when we get home. I trust all of them (obviously) but the younger ones are not comfortable to be here late at night, say past 9, and I'm glad they are mature enough to tell me that. In a couple years my babysitter cup will runneth over with girls I can use in the evenings.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you mama. We lived in CA for a SHORT while and everything is pricey out there.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Right now about $10 an hour for one and $12 for two. THis girl is 21, cpr certifed and an adult. I'm sure if I had a 14 year old watching my kids, I would pay less. But we go out so infrequently, that I would rather pay for quality, not quantity.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
jdsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay $20 a day for ds daycare gal.. I drop him off at 7am and pick him up anytime before 6pm..
jdsmom is offline   Reply With Quote