Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:
kids room help

I am moving soon in to a 3 bedroom apartment. I have a 6 year old daughter, 5 year old son, 3 year old daughter, and 1 little boy on the wya.

I will be co-sleeping/shairng a room with the baby until he is 2-3 years old. So what should I do? I was thinking my son in the smallest room, the girls share the biggest room, and me and the baby have the other room, but then I feel bad that mny 6 year old has to deal with her 3 year old little sister .... not sure what to do, I was also thinking of sleeping in the living room with the baby and letting the kids have there own rooms. egh I dont know any help?

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

What are the room sizes?

I would have the kids share I think
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: kids room help

My boys are sharing a room, ages 8 (in a week) and 3 1/2. Our home is smaller and has three bedrooms, so they have the shared room where they sleep and store their clothes. The middle bedroom we made into a play room and that's where they keep all their toys and also school stuff...I guess it's weird to have both study AND play, but all the play stuff is behind cabinet doors unless it's being used. Then DH and I share the master.

If it were me, I would put all three kids together in the bedroom and have the middle room the play room. It has been a lot easier to deal with toys, cleaning up, laundry management, going to sleep instead of playing...all of it. They do keep some books in the bedroom, but no toys.

My cousin has four kids, ages 12, 11, 7, and 4. They share one bedroom of my cousin's TWO bedroom, ONE bathroom house. It has been a challenge, but it's their only option. Bedtime is the hardest. For me, we put DS2 to bed first and DS1 goes to bed after DS2 is asleep. For my cousin, she has her kids work together to earn "Fun Friday". If they kids go to bed quietly each night, then on Friday night they get to eat as much dessert as they want and choose a movie to watch. I plan to implement "Fun Friday" once DS2 is 4 and better able to control himself.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is your 3yo a good bedtime/sleeper? If she is then I would say there is no issue with her sharing with her sister. We did the one sleeping room and one playing room for quite some time and really liked it but my oldest DD is nearing 11 and needs a girl zone for privacy now. The kids actually prefered it that way and miss having a play room.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your 6yo and 5yo get along it might make since for them to share a room right now so the youngest can nap and go to bed earlier... I think it also depends who gets along best with who. We love to put the playroom in the dining room if you have a eat in kitchen... puts the playroom in the center of it all and you can cook/do your own thing and keep an eye on them.

Honestly I would think about who gets along the best. I worked with someone who had a boy 6 year old and twin 3 year olds (b/g). the twins shared a room. She realized the boy twin was waking the other twin up alot. The 6yo and girl 3yo got along very well and she ended up move them in together and made for a happy household. The 6 year old thought is was great to share a room (something he didn't get to go initially) with his favorite playmate and the twin boy was fine with having his own space. I'm sure some day when they are older it will have to be adjusted but it works for now.

Consider your family dynamic...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas, right now my kids all share a room and it works fine, except I have to put my 3 year old to sleep in the living room or she will bother the others .... but I am think when we move I could get her to sleep first and then the other 2 are fine going to sleep, I love the idea of them having a play room I am excited now. Pixi, we wont have a dining room its a dining room/living room that is tiny but that does sound great maybe in our next place :-)