Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
Registered Users
Re: Do you feel the need to know where your child is?

Yes I do. As a mother I have to know where my child is going just in case any unexpected things might happen. You know the feeling of getting worried when your child is not yet home and it's very late at night!

@;~ IriSha Mommie to sweet daughter DeAnne and little son Levi
Need a sitter? Check out!
blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

I think it depends. DH and I always tell each other where we are going with the kids if it's out of our ordinary routine.

If we are visiting family together and grandma takes someone out, she will tell me where they are going.

If I send my child to stay at grandma's for a few days, then I don't need to know every little thing they do ahead of time. I do get updates after though.

If I send my child to the neighbor's house to play, I would expect a call if they decide to go to the park, etc. DS1 knows that if he goes from one kid's house to another, he needs to call and tell me he's changed location.

If I am with a group of friends, I would freak out if one just left with my kid without telling me or DH.

I got trained early by having to send DS1 to his father's house.
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
Registered Users
Sometimes. Generally I have an idea where DH and DS are when I'm at work but sometimes they surprise me by going to the library or stopping by Walmart. They always let me know if they are leaving town.

No one else can transport DS in their car so they can't go too far. Sometimes Grandma is babysitting for a Saturday afternoon and they go across the street to the park or walk around the block but I don't worry that they will venture farther than that.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Married since 2002, Mama to DS1 since 03/2010 and DS2 since 06/2013. We BF, ERF, and CD. Always missing our little angels: 05/09 and 09/12.
kanga1622 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
Registered Users
Yes, I do feel the need to know where my children are, always. If that makes me controlling or a worrywart, so be it.
Wife to Jeremy (2/06)
Mama to Nella (10/07), Ezra (9/09), and Eisley Marie born April 13, 2012 in the water
OnAnnaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
Registered Users

The only time my kids our out of my care is when they are with DH, MIL, my sister and my mom. I trust these people completely to act in my children's best interest at all times. If DH spontaneously stops at the playground with my girls instead of coming straight home from the store or my mom decides to bring DD1 shopping with her while babysitting it is no problem. My answer is as long as I know who they are with someone I trust, it really doesn't matter where they are. DH NEVER really knows what me and the kids are up to when he's at work. To not give him the same free reign with our kids would be a slap in the face.

DD1 goes to half-day PreK. I know they do neighborhood walks some times depending on the weather. This doesn't bother me either.
D, wife to B , momma to N 7/08 and A 8/10
Special Ed teacher
Come SWAG with me!
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
Registered Users

No. But I can't imagine she'd be going anywhere with anyone other than her grandparents. I trust them so I wouldn't be concerned.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
Registered Users

My DH takes our children wherever he wants.

I am surprised by all the answers thst talk about "letting" the DH or "my" children. DH and I are equal partners. I don't let dH do anythibg with our children. He has a different relatuonship with them that I do and thay is good for them.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #38
Registered Users
My Mood:
I like having a general idea of where she is going to be. I wouldn't leave her in the care of someone I don't trust. I pretty much assume that whoever is taking care of her has her best interests in mind in going out. In other words, when I was working and my dad was watching her, I trusted he wasn't going to do anything to compromise my trust in him.
It goes the same for everyone else. I do ask general plans, though. What time will she be back? Will she be fed or do I have to send money? Does she need anything extra to take? Etc..
In return, if I have someone else's child, I respect the parents' wishes on those things.

I do want to add that she had a play date after school with one of her friends. The mom asked if DD could go with them if they went out. I asked a million questions, but I was firm that I would be there at a certain time to pick her up. When I went, they weren't home. I tried calling the mother, but she didn't answer. DD hasn't been back for a play date since, and she won't go back.
JaylasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #39
Registered Users
My Mood:
Yes. Even with dh, I want to know what errand is currently running and play by play updates as he moves around the city.

My mama bear urges are out of control.
Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #40
Registered Users
My Mood:
I don't need time stamps and exact locations, no...but a general "We are running to the store to grab-so-and-so" would be nice. That's not because I distrust anyone, I just like to know in case of emergencies.

We had a sitter though who one day decided to take my kids to her apartment without telling me, and I was NOT happy about that because A) I had never been there before, didn't know where it was/what it was like/that she had a snippy dog and B) she had only been our sitter for less than a week.
[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote