Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #41
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If the kids are with DH or my mom, I don't need a play by play. I trust them explicitly. Usually, I'll know what they're up to, because I'm home, but if I'm at work, I don't expect DH to inform me if they run to the grocery store. Obviously, our kids are young, so they're not ever just "with a friend". I'll probably rethink my feelings on this to some extent when they have the ability to be a little more independent of us.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you feel the need to know where your child is?

It depends on who it is or the situation, but generally yes, I like to know where my kids are.

If I leave them for the weekend with my parents or IL's I don't expect them to give me an hourly itinerary of where they will be. If I came home however and found out they took a 2 hour trip to an amusement park without giving me a heads up or asking if that was okay, I wouldn't be very happy.

If it's one of our younger siblings watching them, yes, they need to tell us if they plan on getting in the car at all.

We have a huge family and it's happened several times at parties where someone has one of the kids, passes them off to someone else who passes them off to someone else and 20 minutes later we have no idea where they are or who has them. There is a pond and a pool that they can easily get into if someone isn't keeping an eye on them, so it's our family rule that they do not go with a new person unless they check in with us first so we know that SOMEONE is watching them.

Last edited by SaraElise; 01-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #43
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Yes I like to know where my kids are. When they are out with dh I'm not to worried about it, but anyone else yes.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Yes!! If my husband takes them out shopping I don't need a list of stores they're going to or anything, but I'd expect an exact location from anyone else.
This. ^ But, I don't let the kids go with anyone else unless I go too. My kids are only 3, 2 & 7.5 months though.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Not really.

When DH leaves with a kid or two, he says generally where he is going, but that doesn't mean he won't make a few more stops or get completely side-tracked. He's their Dad, he knows how to care for them, and I'm fine with it. If he's taking longer than usual, I might call or text, just to make sure everything is ok, but I'm not ever upset if he changed plans and took the kids somewhere different.

The only other people I can think of that would ever have my kids and want to take them somewhere, I am totally fine with it as long as they use a carseat - which I usually make sure they have one before I leave. If I am not confident they could install it, I install it myself in their vehicle and give them a quick run down on how to use it.

But honestly, I trust everyone I let my kids go with. I trust them with MY life. That is why they are allowed to watch my kids. They all know safety rules, they are careful and responsible, they are reasonable with discipline, and are kind and caring. They know the importance of carseats and how to use them. And they have good morals, so I am not worried about them drinking and passing out while caring for my kids, or having strange men over, or doing drugs or going to bars or clubs, etc. I would never, ever leave my kids with someone I did not trust COMPLETELY. Everyone who keeps my kids without me there, I feel 100% confident that they would throw themselves at an oncoming car to save my kid.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-15-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #46
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Yup.

Especially now after my daughters accident. I want to know where they are at all times.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #47
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes. I don't need exact details but if you are planning to go to Mall A today and instead decide to go to Mall B which is in a completely differnent town...I do expect a quick call to let me know of the plan changes.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD only ever goes anywhere with DH and he's just as much of a parent as I am, so I don't make him report in like I'm in charge.

If a babysitter or someone else took my child, it would be awhile before I'd be comfortable with them having that kind of freedom, but I'm sure that over time I would be okay with it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #49
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes but I will be the first to admit I have issues when it comes to this. I really don't like leaving my son with ANYONE not even DH. DH knows this and tries to accommodate me as much as possible.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #50
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Last edited by Icryinbaseball; 02-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote