Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
My Mood:
Breastfeeding support gift ideas?

I have a good friend that I've known since we were 12 and she's having her first baby in April. When I had my babies she said critical things about breastfeeding and often insinuated that its gross or weird, whatever.

Anyway fast forward, now she's pregnant and I'm SO happy that she is planning on breastfeeding. She said the process of pregnancy really made her realize that her body is gearing up for this and she really wants to make it work. Her mom didn't breastfeed, so she doesn't have that source of troubleshooting/info (my mom was SO valuable to me - she breastfed 3 kids so I asked her every question). I asked her if she's read any books or anything. She said no and she's not planning to.

Anyway I really want to show her my support for her and give her a little gift bag of stuff she might not know she needs like nursing pads and lanolin (weren't on her registry). And maybe those gel soothy things for those really sore engorgement days?

Anything else you can think of that I could include? I know there's not much you really "need". I was also thinking of putting a index card with on it so she has that as a resource too. Any good books (not attachment parenting focused) on breastfeeding that you'd recommend?

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Nuk ice /heat pads only at target. Cover?
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, amazon-my habit, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdie
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Users
A good book or a gift card so she can load her e reader or phone with books or movies? Maybe a nice water bottle to encourage her to drink. A picture frame so she can see her new LO while she pumps.
WOHM and to Jon (6/2006). Mamma to daughter Elli (12/2009) and Jacob (11/2012) Crazy Florida Gator fan , beach bum, and outdoor enthusiast!
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding support gift ideas?

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
Nuk ice /heat pads only at target. Cover?
I second the cover idea!
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - either hard copy or if she has a smartphone/kindle/ipad, a kindle copy, i think you can gift a specific ebook to someone. It was SO helpful and I could always (electronically) pick it up in the middle of the night.
That and dark chocolate pretty much got me through the first few weeks :-)
+ + +
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Registered Users
Re: Breastfeeding support gift ideas?

On your index card include your local LLL info - meeting days/times, info on any other local breastfeeding or new mama support groups, phone numbers to IBCLC's that she can contact if she needs support (unfortunately not all hospitals, if she's having a hospital birth, are baby friendly (( and help out in the beginning). Also, depending on how much you can/are willing to spend, you could gift her a postpartum doula that's an IBCLC to help with those first few days.
heynay01 is offline   Reply With Quote