Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
goMamaMel
Registered Users

What is your grocery budget?

Just curious what every one else spends on food. Money is EXTREMELY tight for us, and I'm trying to get a judgement of exactly how frugal I'm being.

Please include how many people your grocery budget is for, if it includes non-food items, if you include "eating out", and if you buy all/some/none organic. Also please include how often you eat meat, and if you buy grassfed or not.

We are trying to spend $300/month for 5 people, 2 adults, DH's 2 partial custody kids, and one full time 21 month old. If i could afford it, i would buy 100% organic, but we simply cannot. I buy organic off EWG's dirty dozen, and non-organic from their clean 15 list. I try and buy dairy organic when I can justify it, but unfortunately I often settle for conventional because of the price tag. I am always looking for ways to cut my grocery costs. i try and make many many things from scratch in squeeze dimes and quarters out of the budget!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Partly it will depend on your location.

We are in a very HCOL area, two adults one toddler. We spend about $500 monthly on groceries and rarely eat out. We buy dairy and grass fed meat (beef, poultry, pork, lamb) from local farms, they are not USDA "organic" but the cows are grass fed and not given hormones or antibiotics, which is a big thing for me. We eat meat probably 4x weekly at dinner, but generally not big chunks of it on each plate (steak) - more like ground beef in the pasta sauce or a salad with cut up chicken in it.
The rest mostly comes from Whole Foods. We avoid processed convenience type stuff as much as possible and try to buy actual whole foods (lol). I make a lot from scratch and we garden in the warmer months. This lets us keep our food bill relatively low (considering we are eating REALLY good stuff).

I guess my biggest suggestion would be to decide what about organic is important to you, and don't limit yourself to just USDA organic. There are lots of dairies out there that are hormone and antibac free but not "organic."

Last edited by DottieHarley; 01-15-2013 at 04:03 AM.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What is your grocery budget?

We are a family of five. 2 adults one teenager one preteen one toddler and one on the way. We spend $172 a month on food. We eat meat 3 or 4 times a week. Try to eat organic chicken when possible and organic veggies and fruit. We homeschool so I cook three times a day and make all our snacks from scratch.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are family of 7 in mi. I spend $600
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

We are a family of 6. Two adults, one teen boy, and three kids.

We budget $800 and that includes all soaps, paper products, etc. We try to buy organic, local if we can. I shop sales, meal plan and coupon/stockpile when it makes sense. We eat A LOT of produce. I freeze what we can in summer. Even when I was "extreme couponing" we were spending about $600 a mo on groceries because of produce and milk (may also be because our youngest wasn't eating much at the time?).

I find that if we budget less than $800 we end up eating out or grabbing snacks out of convenience. We do a lot of traveling for kids activities (son plays traveling soccer for two seasons as well as baseball, basketball and school soccer... our daughter does two seasons of soccer) so we have to have snacks available as well as fairly easy to take along meals. I do pack my kids and dh's lunches.

We also have a child with food allergies which limits our selections. He is allergic to peanuts, strawberries, eggs and peas... so yeah no pb&j.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

375. Includes all paper goods, hba items and cleaning supplies.

Eta...3 adults, 3 kids. Includes all meals. We eat paleo. Raw dairy (very limited), no organics.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!

Last edited by BNC; 01-15-2013 at 07:22 AM.
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

one of these threads pops up every few months or so.

I budget about $440 a month ($110 a week) on groceries. For me groceries includes EVERYTHING-food, tp, pet supplies, cleaning supplies, etc etc. All of it.

There is DH and I, my 17 year old daughter, a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 3 month old. Clearly the 3 month old doesn't eat, but I am making up for that since I am nursing. I swear I eat like I am still pregnant when I am nursing. My 2 yr old is super picky, she has a list of about 20 items she will eat, and that's it. The 4 yr old eats everything. We also have 3 cats and a 70lb dog and as I said the pet supplies are included.

I don't bother with organic or grass fed whatever. I do not believe the massive price differences between those things and "regular" stuff justifies the very minor health benefits...if any.

I coupon heavily. I DO NOT however buy a bunch of processed crap. I coupon for things like salad mix, bananas, butter, pet supplies, toiletries, etc etc. Last week I got 5 bags of salad for free using coupons, there have been coupons out for $1 off fruit when you buy mini wheats, and I utilize deals for general $xx off your total order coupons to get other stuff cheap and free.

I garden in the summer, as I am able. Last summer I was pregnant and we had the heat wave with many days of triple digit heat, plus the drought...my garden didn't do well at all.

I also shop Costco for meat and a few other things. I only buy it there if it's a good deal though.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We budget $600 every month. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 7 yrs). No pets. We eat paleo, so we buy a lot of meat/veggies. I am a member of a produce and meat co-op so we get a lot of foods from there. That budget also includes paper goods/toiletries. I coupons some, but its hard to find coupons that aren't for processed crap. We also have a garden so we dehydrate/freeze a lot of veggies in the summer, and we go to the farmers market almost every week when its open.

Oh, and we are in Oklahoma
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I budget $400 but we usually spend $300-350. We are a family of 5, kids are 6, 3 and 19 months. We don't buy organic unless I can get a really good deal. We don't really do many processed foods, and I make pretty much everything from scratch. We eat meat almost every night. That doesn't include eating out, we use our blow money and eat out once or twice every 2 weeks. That money includes all our paper and hba products - I coupon every week for those and get them for free to $1 each! I have a pretty good stockpile too.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
reybar-2009
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a budget but I think I spend $400-$500 for a family of 4 including tp, laundry detergent and all that kind of stuff. We do eat out 4-6 times a month sometimes more and that is not including in the budget.