Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

Raw honey - Amazing!

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
jduke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use 50% castor, 50% jojoba on my oily skin. Would like to use something besides castor though bc it's kind of smelly IMO.
jduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would love to know the honey regimen too!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
I use 50% castor, 50% jojoba on my oily skin. Would like to use something besides castor though bc it's kind of smelly IMO.
I think castor is really the only oil that will clear out oily skin (from what I've heard). Consider adding a skin appropriate essential oil. For instance, lime oil can be gotten cheaply.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For honey you just wet your face, put about a teaspoon of honey in your palms and rub together (I used to use a tiny bit of water in my palms too). Then massage your face with it. you can leave it on for about 5 mins if you want or you can rinse it right away.

My face was too dry when I used just honey so I started using dry milk, oatmeal and honey. Process a 1/4 cup of oats in the processor until powdery. Mix with 2 cups dry milk. Store in a jar or whatever. When ready to use put 2 tbsp (I don't measure I just eyeball) of the mix in a bowl. Add about a teaspoon of honey and as much water as you want. I add just enough to make a clumpy paste so its exfoliating- its only like a few drops. The original recipe says 4 tbsp which would make it watery then dip a washcloth in, wipe your face and rinse. You could also splash it on your face. I really like it paste like though. This one will remove makeup. Honey alone will not remove eye makeup.

I also follow up with oil or a moisturizer.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Thanks for all the ideas! I may try the honey routine for a while and then try the oil cleansing and see which works best.

Also I see that for the oil cleansing method you need 50% castor oil and 50% of something else. Does coconut oil work well for this method?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some people have success w/ coconut oil, but it does not generally seem to be recommended (plus you have to deal with the oil hardening, so that's messy).

50/50 is actually the recommended starting point for problem skin, and either side of the ratio can be increased from there. Those with dry skin will want to do something like 10/90 (with the 10 being castor). As for the other carrier oil, I have read: Avocado oil for very dry or mature skin. Olive oil for dry or normal skin. Jojoba oil for sensitive skin. I have sensitive combination skin but use olive oil and castor oil 50/50. But then I do deeply moisturize afterward. Some people doing OCM seek to avoid a moisturization step. Also some people who do OCM will use a very low castor oil ratio but will use a toner afterward. In other words, there are a million ways to do it and lots of conflicting advice. There are a couple of threads on it in the diaperswappers database, I believe.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
For honey you just wet your face, put about a teaspoon of honey in your palms and rub together (I used to use a tiny bit of water in my palms too). Then massage your face with it. you can leave it on for about 5 mins if you want or you can rinse it right away.

My face was too dry when I used just honey so I started using dry milk, oatmeal and honey. Process a 1/4 cup of oats in the processor until powdery. Mix with 2 cups dry milk. Store in a jar or whatever. When ready to use put 2 tbsp (I don't measure I just eyeball) of the mix in a bowl. Add about a teaspoon of honey and as much water as you want. I add just enough to make a clumpy paste so its exfoliating- its only like a few drops. The original recipe says 4 tbsp which would make it watery then dip a washcloth in, wipe your face and rinse. You could also splash it on your face. I really like it paste like though. This one will remove makeup. Honey alone will not remove eye makeup.

I also follow up with oil or a moisturizer.
Awesome! Thx

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
Some people have success w/ coconut oil, but it does not generally seem to be recommended (plus you have to deal with the oil hardening, so that's messy).

50/50 is actually the recommended starting point for problem skin, and either side of the ratio can be increased from there. Those with dry skin will want to do something like 10/90 (with the 10 being castor). As for the other carrier oil, I have read: Avocado oil for very dry or mature skin. Olive oil for dry or normal skin. Jojoba oil for sensitive skin. I have sensitive combination skin but use olive oil and castor oil 50/50. But then I do deeply moisturize afterward. Some people doing OCM seek to avoid a moisturization step. Also some people who do OCM will use a very low castor oil ratio but will use a toner afterward. In other words, there are a million ways to do it and lots of conflicting advice. There are a couple of threads on it in the diaperswappers database, I believe.
Great info!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I should have mentioned that even though I am doing 50/50, due to my sensitive skin, I've been putting a squirt of organic tamanu oil in with every 2 tsps of oil. Tamanu oil is VERY strong stuff (last week I watched a raw cut that had bothered me all day shrink to almost non-existence in 20 minutes after putting half a squirt on it), so I don't know how I would tweak the recipe without it in there. Fwiw, tamanu oil, like most of these oils I guess, is not a great idea for moisturizing troubled skin, as in my experience, that causes a breakout. But I like it in my cleanser.

Also when I decided to add some lime oil for scent and antiseptic propertics, the 50/50 solution became slightly too strong. So I added a little more olive oil on account of that.

I did see one site go as low as 30/70 for oily skin and 10/90 to 0/100 for very dry skin. But a lot of sites do seem to recommend 50/50 for problem skin.

I will probably try gradually lowering the castor oil level, but my first concern was whether I would be clogging my pores or clearing them.