Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
tbowers8403's Avatar
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,186
My Mood:
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

Raw honey - Amazing!

Advertisement

__________________
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Happily Married DD1 born 9/13/10 DD2 born 5/11/12
tbowers8403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
jduke
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
My Mood:
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

I use 50% castor, 50% jojoba on my oily skin. Would like to use something besides castor though bc it's kind of smelly IMO.
jduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Would love to know the honey regimen too!
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,276
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke View Post
I use 50% castor, 50% jojoba on my oily skin. Would like to use something besides castor though bc it's kind of smelly IMO.
I think castor is really the only oil that will clear out oily skin (from what I've heard). Consider adding a skin appropriate essential oil. For instance, lime oil can be gotten cheaply.
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,683
My Mood:
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

For honey you just wet your face, put about a teaspoon of honey in your palms and rub together (I used to use a tiny bit of water in my palms too). Then massage your face with it. you can leave it on for about 5 mins if you want or you can rinse it right away.

My face was too dry when I used just honey so I started using dry milk, oatmeal and honey. Process a 1/4 cup of oats in the processor until powdery. Mix with 2 cups dry milk. Store in a jar or whatever. When ready to use put 2 tbsp (I don't measure I just eyeball) of the mix in a bowl. Add about a teaspoon of honey and as much water as you want. I add just enough to make a clumpy paste so its exfoliating- its only like a few drops. The original recipe says 4 tbsp which would make it watery then dip a washcloth in, wipe your face and rinse. You could also splash it on your face. I really like it paste like though. This one will remove makeup. Honey alone will not remove eye makeup.

I also follow up with oil or a moisturizer.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
*TinyJoys*'s Avatar
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 893
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

Thanks for all the ideas! I may try the honey routine for a while and then try the oil cleansing and see which works best.

Also I see that for the oil cleansing method you need 50% castor oil and 50% of something else. Does coconut oil work well for this method?
__________________
Happily married to my first love . SAHM to 2 sweet boys. Missing my 8 week angel.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #17
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,276
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

Some people have success w/ coconut oil, but it does not generally seem to be recommended (plus you have to deal with the oil hardening, so that's messy).

50/50 is actually the recommended starting point for problem skin, and either side of the ratio can be increased from there. Those with dry skin will want to do something like 10/90 (with the 10 being castor). As for the other carrier oil, I have read: Avocado oil for very dry or mature skin. Olive oil for dry or normal skin. Jojoba oil for sensitive skin. I have sensitive combination skin but use olive oil and castor oil 50/50. But then I do deeply moisturize afterward. Some people doing OCM seek to avoid a moisturization step. Also some people who do OCM will use a very low castor oil ratio but will use a toner afterward. In other words, there are a million ways to do it and lots of conflicting advice. There are a couple of threads on it in the diaperswappers database, I believe.
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
For honey you just wet your face, put about a teaspoon of honey in your palms and rub together (I used to use a tiny bit of water in my palms too). Then massage your face with it. you can leave it on for about 5 mins if you want or you can rinse it right away.

My face was too dry when I used just honey so I started using dry milk, oatmeal and honey. Process a 1/4 cup of oats in the processor until powdery. Mix with 2 cups dry milk. Store in a jar or whatever. When ready to use put 2 tbsp (I don't measure I just eyeball) of the mix in a bowl. Add about a teaspoon of honey and as much water as you want. I add just enough to make a clumpy paste so its exfoliating- its only like a few drops. The original recipe says 4 tbsp which would make it watery then dip a washcloth in, wipe your face and rinse. You could also splash it on your face. I really like it paste like though. This one will remove makeup. Honey alone will not remove eye makeup.

I also follow up with oil or a moisturizer.
Awesome! Thx
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
Some people have success w/ coconut oil, but it does not generally seem to be recommended (plus you have to deal with the oil hardening, so that's messy).

50/50 is actually the recommended starting point for problem skin, and either side of the ratio can be increased from there. Those with dry skin will want to do something like 10/90 (with the 10 being castor). As for the other carrier oil, I have read: Avocado oil for very dry or mature skin. Olive oil for dry or normal skin. Jojoba oil for sensitive skin. I have sensitive combination skin but use olive oil and castor oil 50/50. But then I do deeply moisturize afterward. Some people doing OCM seek to avoid a moisturization step. Also some people who do OCM will use a very low castor oil ratio but will use a toner afterward. In other words, there are a million ways to do it and lots of conflicting advice. There are a couple of threads on it in the diaperswappers database, I believe.
Great info!
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
debcita429's Avatar
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,276
Re: Looking for All-natural Homemade facewash Recipes! Anyone?

I should have mentioned that even though I am doing 50/50, due to my sensitive skin, I've been putting a squirt of organic tamanu oil in with every 2 tsps of oil. Tamanu oil is VERY strong stuff (last week I watched a raw cut that had bothered me all day shrink to almost non-existence in 20 minutes after putting half a squirt on it), so I don't know how I would tweak the recipe without it in there. Fwiw, tamanu oil, like most of these oils I guess, is not a great idea for moisturizing troubled skin, as in my experience, that causes a breakout. But I like it in my cleanser.

Also when I decided to add some lime oil for scent and antiseptic propertics, the 50/50 solution became slightly too strong. So I added a little more olive oil on account of that.

I did see one site go as low as 30/70 for oily skin and 10/90 to 0/100 for very dry skin. But a lot of sites do seem to recommend 50/50 for problem skin.

I will probably try gradually lowering the castor oil level, but my first concern was whether I would be clogging my pores or clearing them.
__________________

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.