Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #31
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Most likely they will have just access to our extra car. Their ages are spread out so by the time DS3 is old enough to drive, ds1 'should' be off college/military and won't take it with. At any time, one or two of them will share it.

Advertisement

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #32
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars?

I bought my own when I was 19 (and to think $140 monthly payment was high then). We'll probably get them a car IF they have a job or go to college. I highly doubt they'll get a new vehicle though.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #33
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My parents got my first 2 cars. Yep I was spoiled. However I didn't wreck the first one. I just moved across country and didn't take the car. So they sold the first car and got the second one where I was.

DH paid for his car himself. He has only owned 2 in his life and the second one is my minivan. The first I made him get rid of when we got married (in all fairness we were living in a city and only needed one car and my car was newer).

I think we will have to see where we are financially when DS needs a car. In theory I don't mind helping him out, but I also know that young males are HIGH RISK so it may be that he gets an old car (maybe even our 2000 camry if it lasts that long) and he has to pitch in for insurance. However I could also see us doing what my in-laws did with my DH and make him get the whole thing. We will just have to see.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #34
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nope, I paid for my own and appreciated it much more than my friends that were given one.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #35
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Yes, we will help in some way, or buy it outright, it will most likely be used. They have very impressive savings accounts already so they will be able to use those toward a car if they wish.

No, my parents didn't buy me a car. I brought my first beater at 19.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #36
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
We told my oldest that he can save up his money from then until the time he gets his license and we will match what he saves. He hasn't saved anything as of yet, he told me he won't need a car because he has a bike. I'm assuming things will change next year when he gets a job.

My parents bought me a car and I totaled it 2 months later, so they bought me a new one. Then that one broke down and they bought me a new one. Then they sold that one and gave me their old but newer car. I love my parents so much for doing that but I think that I would have appreciated it more if I would have worked for it.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #37
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's so far off I don't really know.

I lean towards no I won't buy it. My parents didn't buy me mine, however my husbands parents bought him his.

It probably depends on if they have a job in high school (which I hope they do) they will buy their own. Now if they still don't have a job in high school but they are a good student and going to college I *may* get them one for college. Of course it all depends, what college they are choosing, etc.

Really it all depends on how our finances are at that time, how are children are at that time, etc.

We do have a savings account set up for both our children, which I will give to them when I see fit. Just because they have it doesn't mean they will get it. They need to earn the right to have that money and that car, etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #38
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope! I won't be buying my children cars unless there is a special circumstance.

I bought my own first car. I was 24 and married by the time I got my first car.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #39
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We bought our family a second car when dd1 started driving because her responsibilities to the family included driving siblings places. She has the choice to buy it for $1000 (we paid $3000 two years ago) in 4 mo when she graduates. We will cover insurance during college but she will pay to maintain it. If she chooses to not biy it it will be used by our dd2 who is 16 now. If she buys it we will purchase another vehicle and offer same terms. Same with ds who's 14.

It's more of a convenience for us than anything.

Last edited by ulawolf; 01-16-2013 at 06:36 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #40
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dp

Last edited by ulawolf; 01-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote