Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #41
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars?

If I can afford it, I will.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #42
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope to help them buy a car but I won't outright buy it for them. My first car was a '93 Nissan Sentra (in 2001) and I bought it for fairly cheap but my mom paid for it to be fixed (I think it was $800ish). I was responsible for the insurance and gas but she did give me gas money here and there... Gas was less than a $1/gal so $5-10 went a long way lol

So I want them to have something invested in it but I do plan to help
nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #43
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No, my plan is to upgrade mine at the time and give her that to use. I will buy a used one if I had upgraded recently.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't "buy" a car for them but hand down one we were driving. I don't think teenagers should get new cars. I think most kids scratch, dent, or get in an accident the first few years of driving. I would rather that happen to an old car (still drivable but higher mileage and less value). I wouldn't be surprised if the car my DH bought this year ends up being DD1s first car. It would be 14 years old when she gets a license.

Oh and for any of them to have a car they need to have a job to pay for gas and insurance (or part if insurance) otherwise I don't see the need for a car.

Last edited by umphreysmommy; 01-16-2013 at 07:11 AM.
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #45
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz2002

We do have a savings account set up for both our children, which I will give to them when I see fit. Just because they have it doesn't mean they will get it. They need to earn the right to have that money and that car, etc.

And THIS! We are saving plenty of money for our kids. I should be able to help with anything they need but it is still my money. There is no guarantee it will go to a car or college or whatever. I can't predict the future but I will have money available to help as I can.

My mom did the same. She always saved for us but my first car was my grandmothers old car (older than me). My mom paid for my wedding. I didn't go to college and when I bought a house this year she matched my savings for a downpayment.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #46
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like the idea of buying an additional car for the family when my kids are of driving age. It wouldn't be their car, but would be shared and passed down from child to child. We have five kids so far, and I can't see myself buying each of them a car. I'd expect them to contribute to the cost of gas and insurance if they had income.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #47
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

We will unless it would cause enormous financial burden on us. My parents bought my first car (actually it was a lease). Their deal was that they wanted me to be more focused on school and making good grades rather than having to work all the time to pay for a car. The deal was they pay for cars until I graduate college or until i got married, whichever happened first. I kept the car thy bought me my sophomore year of college for 9 years until it was finally too much to fix than what the car was worth.

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #48
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, We will be buying my childs first car. Even if I refused to her grand parents have already set her up so she would already have the money. I would much rather her use it for college then a car so im just going to buy it. My parents bought my first truck. SO bought his own. We both agree we want to buy her first car (it will be USED)
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #49
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, we will not buy them their first car.

My parent's did not buy mine, but my Grandma did give me $1000 towards it. I had saved for a while, and the total purchase price was only $2500.

DH's parent's didn't really buy his, but they bought an older car for his sister's first (3yrs older than him). It was handed down to him when he turned 16.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #50
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know if we will or not...even if we buy it, or contribute toward it, DD had better have a job so that there's A) A "reason" to have the car in the first place and B) A way to pay for the insurance.

DP & I both had parents buy our first cars...I think DP got a new car. I got a classic car that was older than me. It was a 1976 Camaro that my father bought from a friend for somewhere around $1000 that he then rebuilt the carb in. It was terrible in the snow, the doors didn't lock, and I could start the car without inserting the key, but I do have fond memories of that car (including some really crazy, unsafe things I did when I took it to college as a freshman) It was generous, b/c it's not like my parents had a lot of money, but they bought it b/c they were sick of trying to teach me to drive stick (which was all they owned) & they were sick of driving me to work. I paid for all the insurance and gas; my dad would do repairs, but I had to buy the parts.

DD asked if she would be able to drive DP's Forester "when I grow up and am a big girl." The car will be nearly 20yrs old by then!

Last edited by carriek38; 01-16-2013 at 08:19 AM.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote