Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #71
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o Do you plan to buy your child's first cars?

My parents bought my brother and I both our first cars. They were both new Hondas, which they envisioned would last us til after we bought our first houses and got established. My Accord got totalled (not my fault) at 40,000 miles, and they bought me a second new car (Buick Rendesvous) but after I was married, I had to take over the payments for the last 2 years. My brother got a CRV, and he drove it for 13 years.

My mom gave me $10 a week for gas if I took my brother to work on Mondays and Fridays after school in HS. Back then, that filled the tank. Because I was a music major, there was not time for me to have a job beyond a little babysitting. We had rehearsal 5 nights a week, and I was practicing 3-4 hours a night, plus taking AP classes. My parents were more worried about my grades than me getting a job.

We will buy our kids cars, but probably not new ones, since we are not in a financial position to do so unless something changes drastically between now and then. I am more worried about paying for their college than getting them cars, though.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-16-2013 at 08:46 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #72
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes we will, as long as we can swing it. Nothing fancy but something safe and reliable. IMO, how can they work to save up for a car if they can't drive to work? It's one thing if they work within walking distance but in this day and age teens need a car to get places. I'm sorry, I don't want to cart their butts around everywhere. We'll buy (or hand down) the car and then they can get a job to cover the insurance and gas. That's what my family did.

Now, the car will still be a priviledge, but its for our convenience as much as theirs.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #73
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
We will not be buying our kids cars. I am pretty firm in this belief. I saved up for a nice reliable car & I think it was very character building. I babysat, saved holiday money & then got a part time job after school. I am very proud of that. I want that feeling for my boys too.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #74
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope, but if we happen to have an extra old car we aren't using or if another family member offers to give them one they can have it. They will be responsible for insurance/gas/maintenance etc...
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #75
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope and nope!
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #76
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually was planning to buy an old car and make my kids rebuild it with me. I figured I would do one for each of them. That is really just because I enjoy rebuilding old cars and wanted an excuse to rebuild more of them. I also think it is a good skill to have, teaches the basics of mechanics, to respect their vehicles and at least they will know how to change their own oil. Dh was given his father's old pick up when he learned to drive and he burnt out the engine because he didn't know to check the oil or change it. He still doesn't even half understand cars. I figure this is something I can give them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #77
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I actually was planning to buy an old car and make my kids rebuild it with me. I figured I would do one for each of them. That is really just because I enjoy rebuilding old cars and wanted an excuse to rebuild more of them. I also think it is a good skill to have, teaches the basics of mechanics, to respect their vehicles and at least they will know how to change their own oil. Dh was given his father's old pick up when he learned to drive and he burnt out the engine because he didn't know to check the oil or change it. He still doesn't even half understand cars. I figure this is something I can give them.
That is amazing. I wish I was able to do this.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #78
77Lipen
Registered Users

My parents bought my insurance. I bought my car...$250 it cost and 250 for repairs. Ran it for 1 yr then got a newer one.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #79
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First response: NO!!!! Hahahaha!!!
Second thought:
It really depends on the kid. If they are working, going to school, good grades, makes responsible choices, I'll probably help them! But I'm never gonna BUY them a car just because they feel they need a new car to get to xyz.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote