Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #101
ajane's Avatar
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 16,107
My Mood:
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
I wasn't speaking of what literature says. I was speaking based on what a lot of people believe about children that aren't spanked.

It is commonly believed that children that aren't spanked are not disciplined at all, or that they are allowed to get away with anything. Do you believe this? Maybe not. MOST do. I, for one, was one of those for a LONG time.
Well, obviously this is an incorrect misconception. Ignorance, based? I'm not sure. But one does not have to spank their kids to teach them. They can in fact, just TEACH them. Pretty simple.

Advertisement

__________________
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #102
leyash's Avatar
leyash
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,913
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
I also have a very demanding life. But I choose to put my children first & make it a priority to continue to better myself as a parent. I am never too tired for my children! There are single mothers holding down 2 jobs that don't resort to spanking their children just because it's nearing the end of yet another long day.
You could think about replacing 1/2 of your time on this forum with studying a few good parenting publications. Aren't your kids worth it? If my life was so busy I felt I had no choice but to sometimes spank my children to get my way I truly would not have children. I'm guessing you have the time to speak with adults vs smack them into getting your point across - don't your kids deserve the same?
.

Last edited by leyash; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #103
leyash's Avatar
leyash
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,913
Re: The spanking debate.

I think I've been called ignorant, lazy, abusive, and been told that my kids must not be worth it to me enough now. You guys have fun in your thread. I hope you don't teach your children that bullying people is the way to get your point across, or to make people agree with you. Lord help us with all those non-spanked kids running around. Have a good day!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #104
ajane's Avatar
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 16,107
My Mood:
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
I think I've been called ignorant, lazy, abusive, and been told that my kids must not be worth it to me enough now. You guys have fun in your thread. I hope you don't teach your children that bullying people is the way to get your point across, or to make people agree with you. Lord help us with all those non-spanked kids running around. Have a good day!
I'm curious to know why you post in these threads if they affect you so much?

And, I really don't understand what you are inferring with the bolded.
__________________
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #105
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11,019
My Mood:
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
OK, so just to recap, those who do spank are:

Lazy
Ignorant
Unreasonable in their expectations
Abusive
Violent
possibly BDSM freaks
unable to predict their child's needs ahead of time
unable to respond to their child's needs appropriately
do not provide healthy snacks/meals
don't give adequate play time, especially outdoors
ignore their children - unless to whack them


I'm trying to compile a list that described my parenting style, so I can put it in my siggy...

and I'm sure the name calling has made you reconsider your stance on spanking? Am I right?

For the record, I do not like spanking. I don't want children or puppies to be hit.
__________________

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #106
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,402
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I'm curious to know why you post in these threads if they affect you so much?

And, I really don't understand what you are inferring with the bolded.
Probably for the same reason you and the pp she was going back and forth are, all of you firmly believe you are doing the best thing your children. These threads always get nasty because people always resort to trying to insult one another instead of discussing the topic.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #107
leyash's Avatar
leyash
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,913
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I'm curious to know why you post in these threads if they affect you so much?

And, I really don't understand what you are inferring with the bolded.
With the bolded, I was being a smart@ss.

And, I post in these threads, because I like a good debate. However, I do NOT like to be called names or insulted. When it gets to that point, I find it easier just to back out than to defend myself against bullies.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #108
Leighleighbuggy's Avatar
Leighleighbuggy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: lalaland
Posts: 1,231
Re: The spanking debate.

I have such conflicting feelings about this. I rarely have spanked my kids, because I just never wanted to. However, I was spanked and so were my siblings. Also, my mom and all her siblings were spanked as well. All of our behavior was 100 times better than my kids. And I discipline my kids all the time. We use time outs, taking away special items, and sending them to their rooms. I probably won't use spanking because I don't feel so comfortable with it, but I have to wonder why my siblings and I and my mom and her siblings were so much better behaved than my children.
Leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #109
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,402
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighleighbuggy View Post
I have such conflicting feelings about this. I rarely have spanked my kids, because I just never wanted to. However, I was spanked and so were my siblings. Also, my mom and all her siblings were spanked as well. All of our behavior was 100 times better than my kids. And I discipline my kids all the time. We use time outs, taking away special items, and sending them to their rooms. I probably won't use spanking because I don't feel so comfortable with it, but I have to wonder why my siblings and I and my mom and her siblings were so much better behaved than my children.
I think we can all sometimes see our kids as less well behaved than other kids simply because we are the ones always dealing with their bad behaviors.

I think my kids are terribly behaved pretty often when we (very rarely anymore) go out to eat. On several of these occasions someone will comment on how good they were and I am left thinking, did you not just see them?!
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #110
ajane's Avatar
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 16,107
My Mood:
Re: The spanking debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Probably for the same reason you and the pp she was going back and forth are, all of you firmly believe you are doing the best thing your children. These threads always get nasty because people always resort to trying to insult one another instead of discussing the topic.
Yes, it is pretty sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
With the bolded, I was being a smart@ss.

And, I post in these threads, because I like a good debate. However, I do NOT like to be called names or insulted. When it gets to that point, I find it easier just to back out than to defend myself against bullies.
I see, I have a hard time reading sarcasm when posting in a serious thread, lol.

I agree that people shouldn't be called names or personally insulted. However, I think it can be easily mistaken as being called a name or insulted when someone is posting their belief. Everyone has a right to their feelings, on both sides.
__________________
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.