View Poll Results: Do you wait 24 hours after fever/vomiting to send you child to school?
Yep! Rules are rules! 60 82.19%
Nah, if they're not acting sick they go. 6 8.22%
It depends (but it shouldn't really...) 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you follow the 24-hour-rule?

I follow the rule because it's the courteous thing to do. I wish other parents would do the same. When I worked in a preschool, we had kids come full of medicine to cover a fever or coming back the day after being sent home sick. Drove me nuts.

Advertisement

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, we do follow the rule because we feel it is the right thing to do. We don't want some other poor kid getting sick because our kiddo is, and we would hope that our kiddo wouldn't get sick from another child who wasn't kept home. But I also realize that we are very fortunate in that we have one parent at home, and as the working parent I have tons of sick leave and a very understanding workplace. It is easy for us to keep our child home when needed. But I know that not everyone can afford to take off work to keep their child home. Because of the way capitalism works, the decision isn't going to be so easy for everyone. Some people send their sick kid to school not because of selfishness, but because they feel they have no other choice.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted it depends, because I've done the more like 22-hour rule, fever at 10am fine by noon and for the rest of the day/night, sent the next day at 9am, because it was the day before vacation. I've also gone the other way as well - kept DS home an extra day (48 hours) after vomiting because it was Valentine's Day and I did NOT want him eating all the party food and feeling worse, even though he was eating/acting/etc fine for 2 days.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Usually yes, but not always. Sometimes its more like 18 hours. Kinda depends on the time of day. If fever is gone by midday and doesn't return in the night and if the child is alert and happy and eating well in the morning, I probably will send. We have dealt almost exclusively with colds and strep throat. I don't worry about the colds so much, but I am more careful with strep.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted yes, but not b/c "rules are rules". There have been many times with my kids that they start to act fine 10-12 hours later and then about 20-22 hours later they have a relapse. This rule was made to make sure all illness has been through the system and the child is recovered enough to carry on with normally scheduled activities. I know there are many times after I am symptom free for 18 hours, I still don't feel 100%. Why not just be 100% positive they are fine instead of sending them back early and risking spreading illness to others?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We aren't at that age yet, but we will. My mom always sent me back to school before I was feeling 100% and it just sucked.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't have anyone in school right now, but I follow the 24 hour rule for church or any other outing. If they feel up to it, I let them play in our backyard, but we try to keep our germs to ourselves as much as possible. There have been exceptions...like if I realize we are out of Tylenol or Immodium and we need it right then & dh is at work. I hate dragging a sick kid put of the house, and try to restock our medications as they run out, but sometimes I forget. Generally, though, it's 24 hours at home.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes I do. My dd had a stomach bug and she only was sick for half a day and then was better and stayed better but I kept her home the second day because it wasn't 24 hours yet.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids rarely get sick and the schools don't have 24 hour rules so there are no rules to follow.

I do, however, have 2 kids who throw up for completely random reasons and when their blood sugar is low but they aren't sick. If it is one of those i send them. The blood sugar is usually after school but they go the next day
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like the op's said, we follow the "rule" (it's not a rule at our school, but I think it's more a common sense/courtesy thing). The exception is made for DD who has benign fainting spells that always end with her regaining consciousness and vomiting - but that's not from being sick with a tummy bug, it's nothing contagious at all. So, for her, it's just whenever she's feeling up to it after one of her spells.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote