Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone used Oak Meadow curriculum?

We tried it for k-2... and while we loved the idea it just did not work us. I found it tedious and did not feel it challenged my kids. Honestly I felt some of it seemed way too free spirited and slightly boring. The older grades might be better though from what I have heard. We currently use Time4learning for my 1st and 3rd graders and I am SO glad we switched. They honestly were really behind on academics with OM to the point that I almost felt that it was not fair to them. T4L has been great at helping them catch up and then excel. While I loved how pretty Oak meadow seems to be, it was too much fluff.

Advertisement

FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow
We tried it for k-2... and while we loved the idea it just did not work us. I found it tedious and did not feel it challenged my kids. Honestly I felt some of it seemed way too free spirited and slightly boring. The older grades might be better though from what I have heard. We currently use Time4learning for my 1st and 3rd graders and I am SO glad we switched. They honestly were really behind on academics with OM to the point that I almost felt that it was not fair to them. T4L has been great at helping them catch up and then excel. While I loved how pretty Oak meadow seems to be, it was too much fluff.
I've been using t4l and I feel that it's doing a great job education wise, but my daughters is already bored with it. She hates seeing the same activities over and over for each lesson. And I've had some technical difficulties. When I've called about them the last I've gotten each time has been rude. I even advised her that the phone number on one of the pages didn't work and I found the toll free number to call. She actually asked me if I dialed one first :/
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
I've been using t4l and I feel that it's doing a great job education wise, but my daughters is already bored with it. She hates seeing the same activities over and over for each lesson. And I've had some technical difficulties. When I've called about them the last I've gotten each time has been rude. I even advised her that the phone number on one of the pages didn't work and I found the toll free number to call. She actually asked me if I dialed one first :/
Wow, that would irk me too. I haven't had any issues with with technical difficulties or having to deal with customer service honestly. I did have to adjust DD's grade level when we first started and they were polite. I heard they just updated their network over the weekend so hopefully the people that have had technical issues will have better luck.

As for Oak Meadow, maybe it will work great for you guys. I am glad there is so many options out there because what works for one family might not work for another. T4L has been really good for us but I know some people love OM too. My kids like fast paced learning and T4L fits in really well to a busy life for working on core subjects for our us. OM really is beautiful, I was actually really sad it wasn't for us.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
BradleyMomma
Registered Users
seller

Her thoughts were: We both loved Oakmeadow for the first few years. For very young children I think it is a great way to approach learning, it is a Waldorf style curriculum. If this is a teaching philosophy that resonates with her then it may be a good fit. There is lots of hands on, and also lots of storytelling, singing and movement. The seat work is to be used as is appropriate to the child, so if you have one less inclined to sitting its ok. The only con for us was that some of the storytelling would get a bit tedious for her, she wanted to quickly get to the work at hand (she loved to draw, write and read), and be done listening to the fairytale type stories that were frequently used as the object of the lesson.They have examples on their site that you can download for each grade.

Also, just to reiterate, she was not behind academically at all. She has actually been ahead in some areas, but I thnk they supplemented more with the older grades, 4,5,6.

Last edited by BradleyMomma; 01-21-2013 at 12:58 PM.
BradleyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyMomma
Her thoughts were: We both loved Oakmeadow for the first few years. For very young children I think it is a great way to approach learning, it is a Waldorf style curriculum. If this is a teaching philosophy that resonates with her then it may be a good fit. There is lots of hands on, and also lots of storytelling, singing and movement. The seat work is to be used as is appropriate to the child, so if you have one less inclined to sitting its ok. The only con for us was that some of the storytelling would get a bit tedious for her, she wanted to quickly get to the work at hand (she loved to draw, write and read), and be done listening to the fairytale type stories that were frequently used as the object of the lesson.They have examples on their site that you can download for each grade.

Also, just to reiterate, she was not behind academically at all. She has actually been ahead in some areas, but I thnk they supplemented more with the older grades, 4,5,6.
Thanks for asking her! I plan on supplementing as well probably. We have to standardize test in Arkansas 3-9 grades so I may just go with this until the first test and see how she does. After that I will know where I need to supplement and she won't be too far behind to catch up
If at all. I think I heard the ups truck a minute ago. I would be super surprised if its here already but maybe it is
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am thinking of doing it myself. I have researched the curriculum and the ideas behind this style of learning and I think it would be great for my kids. I will probably have to buy one curriculum each year. Now I don't have to report the school district until age 8, which will make the school year slightly easier with K.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mine just came I'm today! I'm so excited! Now to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it lol
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

My understanding is that OM starts slow but picks up with 4th grade. I tried preS, K and 1st with my two. They were too slow for both, but I realize now that the slow approach wasn't best for them. We wound up switching, even though they did response well to the LA portion. It wasn't awful, but my two certainly needed a push after we switched. Math was lacking for us and we needed more phonics instruction. They responded best to more structured and workbooky type of items. I had really wanted OM to work, but I think now that it would have been a good curriculum for me as a kid. I have a toddler now and with his opposite nature, I'm curious to see if we'll wind up trying OM again in a few years.
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiaschild
My understanding is that OM starts slow but picks up with 4th grade. I tried preS, K and 1st with my two. They were too slow for both, but I realize now that the slow approach wasn't best for them. We wound up switching, even though they did response well to the LA portion. It wasn't awful, but my two certainly needed a push after we switched. Math was lacking for us and we needed more phonics instruction. They responded best to more structured and workbooky type of items. I had really wanted OM to work, but I think now that it would have been a good curriculum for me as a kid. I have a toddler now and with his opposite nature, I'm curious to see if we'll wind up trying OM again in a few years.
This is why I went ahead and bought second grade curriculum. She's in first grade but already well into the second grade curriculum on the core subjects. I've been reading and figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing and I think it will be perfect for us. We've already done a lot of the activities in the past so it will be natural for us. I wish we had started with it in kindergarten but I just pulled her out of public school 7 weeks into this year.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We want to go slow for the first year over here since my son will be at the younger age of the kindergarten range. We borrowed a book from the library which was mentioned on some Waldorf websites with finger plays and songs along with activities for the 4 seasons to kinda kick off things until we start in the month of August.