Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile?

Don't be ashamed to use sposies. Do what works for you mama! We keep our Cloth in our Nightstand. No idea what anyone else does with a nightstand, lol. I usually change DS on the bed, so it's super convenient. My extra sposie wipes typically stay under the bathroom sink, which is where we keep all of our "extras." We keep as few extras as possible, but if we are given it for free and will use it in the next 6 months we're not going to throw it away. I might recommend a small basket (or decorative box/bin, just whatever you have around) of sposies in the area where you change the baby. The pull-ups with each kids' pajamas since you're only using them at night. If you're okay with having the boxes in your closet I would keep them there. Otherwise, a hall closet, linen closet, on a shelf above the washer and dryer, or where you used to keep your cloth diapers.

Advertisement

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you consider yourself to be "minimalist"...is there anything you do stockpile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, for us, thrifty is just as important as not having a lot of stuff around. I have a tall pantry that at one point was mostly full of home canned goods. I don't think that having a bunch of something that we use like that knocks me out of the minimilist category. I would look at diapers the same way. You will use them all, they are something that is needed, and if it saves you a bunch of money to buy them in bulk like that, go for it.

Do you have storage room under any beds? Perhaps you could store them there?
Under the beds is a great idea too!
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, for us, thrifty is just as important as not having a lot of stuff around. I have a tall pantry that at one point was mostly full of home canned goods. I don't think that having a bunch of something that we use like that knocks me out of the minimilist category. I would look at diapers the same way. You will use them all, they are something that is needed, and if it saves you a bunch of money to buy them in bulk like that, go for it.

Do you have storage room under any beds? Perhaps you could store them there?
I agree. I also stockpile home caned goods
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are minimalist preppers, lol. So yes, there are things we stockpile... like food and ammo...

Cloth in the nightstand is brilliant actually, why have I never heard of that? We have two nightstands (1. because we bought them before I went minimal, and 2. because they hold the lamps we do use) but I can never figure out what to keep in there, lol.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a small space or anything, but back when I was stockpiling food and toiletries, I would get rid of "stuff" and replace it w/ stockpile items. It was crazy how much more room I had after I got rid of the unneeded and unloved stuff. As long as you're not being wasteful, I see no problem w/ stockpiling a quantity that will be used in a normal amount of time (like not 5 years worth of everything). As long as your stockpiled stuff isn't improperly stored or in your way, it's fine.

I'm not minimalist, but stockpiling things like tp, tissues, toiletries, dry foods and frozen foods works for me.
Slave to my

Last edited by TypeAMom; 01-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We buy a lot in bulk as well and I don't see that changing because we do it to save money and it doesn't affect us negatively. I wouldn't necessarily call it stockpiling though because it's not really stored for long periods of time. We don't buy large quantities of things we won't use quickly. I guess I also "stockpile" clothing . I shop ahead for my kids so I have bins of things full of future seasons clothing. Right now all of my kids (even #4 who is still in utero) are mostly clothed through next winter. That might drive some true minimalists crazy because I do have a lot of things stored, but it's manageable for me right now and I have plenty of room to store it so it's not a big deal. It saves me a ton of money and stress. DH's income is not steady so often times when the weather changes and the kids would need new clothing, we don't have the extra money to purchase it on hand without digging into our small savings or using a credit card.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

personally i think sposies are the worst thing to stockpile. I used sposies a good majority of ds's diapering time and when he sized up it was always unpredictable and we wouldnt realize until the beginging of a new box, and sposies cant be returned or exchanged anywhere near us so selling an open box on cl is super hard. Also he PLed before we thought he would so we sold several boxes(the enormous ones) on craigslist for less than half of retail bc thats all we could get. You should stockpile wipes, they dont get outgrown and can be used for miltiple purposes. I stockpile bathroom products as we always have issues w running out. Shampoo, tp, etc. I dont consider myself 100% minimalist but hate clutter and have very few "things"
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I keep a stock of giftbags/wrap/cards so I guess that could be considered stockpiling.

I 'stockpile' handed down clothes. Each child has a fairly large storage bag of clothes in larger sizes as they are given to us and we are too thrifty to not keep and use them, plus with so many kids they all get used by someone. It does annoy me but it saves hundreds if not thousands of dollars so worth it.

I stockpile wipes and sposies if/when I can afford it and they are on sale. Both boys are in the large sizes now so they wont outgrow them really and I hate thinking I could run out and we not have the money to buy more.

I also stockpile food but this is just recent. After going through a tight patch I think I have anxiety about not having the money for it so I stock up on canned goods, cereals, anything that we will definately use but wont expire.
Also toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, cleaning products etc.
I have a decent size (not huge) pantry and manage to fit it all in there with some really neat organisation and stacking.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarisa View Post
personally i think sposies are the worst thing to stockpile. I used sposies a good majority of ds's diapering time and when he sized up it was always unpredictable and we wouldnt realize until the beginging of a new box, and sposies cant be returned or exchanged anywhere near us so selling an open box on cl is super hard. Also he PLed before we thought he would so we sold several boxes(the enormous ones) on craigslist for less than half of retail bc thats all we could get. You should stockpile wipes, they dont get outgrown and can be used for miltiple purposes. I stockpile bathroom products as we always have issues w running out. Shampoo, tp, etc. I dont consider myself 100% minimalist but hate clutter and have very few "things"
Honestly this thread gave me the realization that the current setup of buying a case of disposables and having to store it drives me nuts. I do worry he will suddenly outgrow them, but 7th generation is the only brand he tolerates and I can't afford to buy them locally. Anyway, my amazing mama decided to buy my little guy the stash of cloth (he gets terrible hives and eczema from PUL) that will work for him! She was totally open to buying a whole big stash of nice stuff, and while it was tempting for brief moment - I went with simple. 24 GMD workhorse fitteds, 5 soft wool soakers, a stack of wipes and a hanging wetbag. Minimalist but functional.

It is amazing that his new stash will fit in a small basket and fit until PLing vs storing box after box of disposables. :-)

Last edited by FernHollow; 01-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #20
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
Honestly this thread gave me the realization that the current setup of buying a case of disposables and having to store it drives me nuts. I do worry he will suddenly outgrow them, but 7th generation is the only brand he tolerates and I can't afford to buy them locally. Anyway, my amazing mama decided to buy my little guy the stash of cloth (he gets terrible hives and eczema from PUL) that will work for him! She was totally open to buying a whole big stash of nice stuff, and while it was tempting for brief moment - I went with simple. 24 GMD workhorse fitteds, 5 soft wool soakers, a stack of wipes and a hanging wetbag. Minimalist but functional.

It is amazing that his new stash will fit in a small basket and fit until PLing vs storing box after box of disposables. :-)
Yay!!!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote