Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: How to try to avoid ppd?

What about suggestions for those who don't want to eat their placenta in any form?

I am concerned about PPD but I won't eat my placenta, dried, smoothied, or otherwise.

Anything else that could help?

I plan to have more support this time around, accept more help, and take a longer period of rest. Hoping that will help.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
I guess I'm the odd duck out. I encapsulated my placenta and I still got severe ppd.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I had very bad PTSD after my second. It's possible I also had ppd they often go hand in hand. I had a homebirth with my third, in part to prevent ppd. I also saved my placenta in case I started getting ppd but I never encapsulated it because I never needed it. Just FYI you don't need a debydrator you can use your oven. The results aren't quite the same but it works.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
What about suggestions for those who don't want to eat their placenta in any form?

I am concerned about PPD but I won't eat my placenta, dried, smoothied, or otherwise.

I plan to have more support this time around, accept more help, and take a longer period of rest. Hoping that will help.
I'm looking for any type of way to prevent it. If you get any other information please pass it my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W View Post
I guess I'm the odd duck out. I encapsulated my placenta and I still got severe ppd.
I'm sorry. Did you try anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Well this thread just convinced me to encapsulate my placenta this time around! I had no idea it helped ease depression, wow!

I have read that you can dry it on low heat in your oven too. If that's true I might do that. Don't really have the $ to spend on a dehydrator and I know my parents would NOT like to loan me theirs for this

I think dehydrators are about $150 for a cheaper one

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Haha, yeah I'm not sure anyone would let me borrow one if they had one either. They'd probably look at me like I'm insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
I had very bad PTSD after my second. It's possible I also had ppd they often go hand in hand. I had a homebirth with my third, in part to prevent ppd. I also saved my placenta in case I started getting ppd but I never encapsulated it because I never needed it. Just FYI you don't need a debydrator you can use your oven. The results aren't quite the same but it works.
I want the best possible outcome and if using a dehydrator is the best way then I would rather stick with that. I'm sure some people have used their ovens, but if it has to cook for a long time then that is a lot of our propane and we can't afford to use it all. I'm sorry you had such a rough time after your second child.
pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had it pretty severely in the past, and it was the worst with my first. I also agree with the placenta encapsulation, but it sounds like that may be challenging. Are there any midwives around you could call and see if they know someone? It wasn't a cure-all, but much better. I'd make sure to take a good vitamin D supplement as well as some really good fish oil, and eat real, healthy foods. It's rough, though, and just the thought of going through it again is stressful I was really freaked out with my second at the thought, and it wasn't nearly as bad. I am sorry you have to deal with it though
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

Yeah, I know it's supposed to work wonders but I don't know if I can wrap my head around it.

So far what has helped me: stopping breastfeeding and seeing a counselor.

I'm looking for other alternatives too because I really want to nurse next time around.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
Yeah, I know it's supposed to work wonders but I don't know if I can wrap my head around it.

So far what has helped me: stopping breastfeeding and seeing a counselor.

I'm looking for other alternatives too because I really want to nurse next time around.
I only had PPD with my son's birth. I can remember feeling really disconnected from him, and angry with everyone. I can remember changing his diaper and looking at him and thinking that I didn't FEEL anything - he was just a baby to me, a baby whose diaper I was changing. ... and how terrible I was for that. I cried - a LOT - usually by myself.

With both of my daughters, I had the baby blues for a bit, but nothing really bad.

I am a tad concerned b/c I am having another boy this time, and I wonder if the hormones of boy vs girl are what caused the PPD?

Or if it was just a bad combo of the timing of our first son ----- we had just moved from HI to FL, DH found a job, then I got pg, then he lost that job, found another one, started school full time AND working full time, and I saw him maybe 3-4 hours PER WEEK, plus I then lived right near my family, which was difficult for me ----- and the disconnect I was feeling with DH at the time, combined with having a VERY high needs baby?

I don't know, but it kind of worries me. I've definitely had some gloomier than "normal" moments during this pregnancy, which made me think "uh-oh"...

This time I have been vocal with some close friends about my concerns. I have asked them to come check on me, spend time with me, give me a call, etc. in the weeks after birth. I've told a handful of them about my PPD after my first son, and asked for them to look out for me.

I plan to rest longer after giving birth this time. After all 3 of my previous babies, I was up and moving and doing things pretty much immediately. This time, I WILL rest longer. I've asked DH to make sure this happens. I asked him to dote on me and please insist that I rest.

Overall, my life is much different now, so I hope that will help, too. DH works full time but is no longer in school, and we live farther away from my family. (whom I love VERY much and am VERY close to, but just can't handle being so close to them)

Anyway, those are the things I am going to TRY. I won't eat my placenta, I won't stop BFing (I actually found BFing to help, personally), and I won't go to a counselor unless I start thinking of harming someone.... so those were the practical steps I could think of....

sorry this was so long

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-18-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I got it right after dd1 was born. I kept convinecing myself it was baby blues @@ even though I had a history of depression. I waited until 7mos before seeking help. I didnt feel connected to her or even wanted to be around her until she was almost 9mos old

Then dd2 came along and the first 6mos was amazing! It made me sad that that was what I missed out on with dd1. However at 6.5ish months it hit again-this time in the form of anger. Nothing worse then watching your 3yrold shake in fear from what you have done....

This time I wanted to have everything in place b/c I knew ppd would be back-not if but when. I had a lc lined up to make bfing as easy as possible, my shrink on speed dail, talked to dh and made plans so I could get some sleep and to have him make sure I ate. Then my milk didnt come in until the 5th night, ds cried all.the.time if he wasnt on the boob but wouldnt try to eat while there. We had to take him to the hospotal for blood work everyday for a wk to check biliruben levels and to have an echo done on his heart for a murmur. He lost a bunch of weight and started getting badly dyhrdrated. I broke down and gave formula(major disappointment-strike one) but ds was a changed baby! so I stuck with it hoping it would make things easier and thus keep ppd at bay for awhile Once dh went back to work I dont get much sleep(strike 2), forget to force feed myself since Im not hungry(strike 3), my grandmother died last wk(strike 4)....then this wk ds is really clingy and wont sleep for longer then 30mins at a time and thrusday we discovered he has a milk allergy. Even though I tried my best to stop it from happening right away this time thats a lot! of crap to deal with. I have an appt with my shrink to get back on meds on tuesday...

So prepare as best you can but also realize that since youve had it before you are more likely to get it again but as long as you stay on top of it and get it taken care of right away it will all be ok.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
1healthylady
Registered Users

I was really worried about PPD because I do have a history of depression. DH encapsulated my placenta for me. He said it really wasn't difficult. He wasn't grossed out by it at all - he just viewed it as another organ or cut of meat he would have prepared. We've had our dehyadrator for several years now. You can get them for around $50-$60, I think. Ours came from Bed, Bath and Beyond. We use it to dehydrate fruits, veggies, and other foods, especially when we're getting ready for a backpacking trip. It was such a gift to have DH do it for me. Because I lost so much blood there's no way I would have been able to do it myself.

In addition to my placenta, taking a daily bath helped too, I think. A friend had gifted me a PP herbal bath (lavender, comfrey, witch hazel, and like 10 other herbs). Everyday for the first week and a half DH or my mom drew me a warm bath with the herbs. It was supposed to help me just heal faster, which it did, but it also gave me the excuse to pass off the baby and take some time to just relax. DH set me up with my iPod and dock listening to my music I labored with and with a bowl of ice water and a washcloth. It was AMAZING. I think having so much help and support really helped keeping PPD at bay. Everyone was aware it was a possibility because of my history, so they all kept me in check. There were definitely some crying days, but nothing too long-term.

Good luck!!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
Well this thread just convinced me to encapsulate my placenta this time around! I had no idea it helped ease depression, wow!

I have read that you can dry it on low heat in your oven too. If that's true I might do that. Don't really have the $ to spend on a dehydrator and I know my parents would NOT like to loan me theirs for this

I think dehydrators are about $150 for a cheaper one

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I would check online. Sees like we paid around $50 for ours.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote