Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #101
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

And this whole concept of 'kid food'...the media has American parents soooooo duped that kids can't eat anything besides frozen chicken nuggets, boxed mac & cheese and canned spaghetti-os in the shapes of Disney characters. That isn't 'kid food' it's garbage. How many cook books out there are advertised for 'kid friendly meals' why do we need 'kid friendly meals' Can't they just eat food?

Or 'the sneaky chef' hiding fruits and vegetables in kids' food. I adamantly refuse to do that and it pisses me off when people do. If you want your kid to eat squash, freaking serve squash and insist they eat it, don't hide it in the mac & cheese. If you want your kid to eat green beans freaking cook green beans (frozen or fresh, not canned) and serve it. How hard is that? We have a huge serving of various fruits or vegetables with every meal and my kids eat it. Nine times out of 10 they eat the 'sides' (brown rice, vegetables (green beans, carrots, corn, broccoli, squash, etc) and leave the main dish. I'm perfectly okay with this usually LOL

It's even written on my CVV from WIC something about "Sometimes it's hard to get kids to try new fruits or vegetables, keep offering." WTF? Why would it be hard to get a kid to eat fruits & vegetables unless they've been 'ruined' with thinking french fries are a vegetable (here WIC doesn't permit white potatoes)

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 01-19-2013 at 01:01 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #102
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Meh. I think this part goes back to the way that our bodies are designed to jealously horde calories as an adaptation to feast or famine. We are drawn to foods that naturally build our fat stores more efficiently like cheetos and ding dongs. I agree that they can be connected, but I do think that the bottom line is excess consumption of calories.
Yes, and when it's childhood obesity, the onus is on the parents to provide the food. Presumably the children are not choosing and purchasing this food at the grocery store. If the choice isn't there to eat a high-calorie food that the body may be craving, the choice can't be made. There are also other alternatives when the body is craving these things - spoonfuls of peanut butter, avocado, cashews. All are valid, healthy choices with a myriad of redeeming nutritional features and have some fat.

I didn't quote this, but I agree with addicteddad that I have never met anyone overweight who is eating a truly healthy diet. I don't even see how this needs to be restrictive. No one is advocating that kids only eat kale and greek yogurt. It's quite easy to be stringent at home and then go with the flow out of the home. I realize this is going to sound really elitist, but in our home, we have chosen to commit to a lifestyle where we purchase everything organic possible, no junk, and don't stray from it. Then, when we go out, we can be as flexible as we want because we do it around one meal every two weeks. One out of 42 meals we all eat whatever we want, however much we want, and no one feels bad about it. We go out for treats here and there but they are all out of the house. Takes away the temptation. That way when I really crave something, it's easy to rationalize going to get it, because I haven't sauntered to my freezer with every whim.

We snack here all the time. I don't see constant snacking being an issue, because we aren't snacking on goldfish and poptarts. We eat some fruit, lots and lots of cut up veggies and hummus, and peanut butter and apples. That's pretty constant. As much as you want, go for it. But, it's indeed a lifestyle choice.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #103
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
I think it is partly the governments fault. The FDA needs to do it's job and regulate our food. They need to get HFCS and all this other additives, many of which are banned in other nations because of how wretched they are. They need to stop allowing GMOs (most other nations at the very least label the garbage) they need to stop allowing pink slime in our ground beef.

Instead they're in the pockets of the Big Beef industry that wants to make the most product they can, as cheaply as they can so they allow pink slime. They're in the pockets of King Corn so they allow HFCS....not only that but King Corn is allowed to put out commercials LYING the public about how your body can't tell a difference between cane sugar and 'corn sugar' (to that end they can label it 'corn sugar' since HFCS got such a bad rep. All these organizations that get a bad rep in the news are still in our food they've just managed to petition to get a new name so no one knows it's HFCS or GMOs or God only knows what.

You can't even go to the store and buy a dang apple without knowing if it's REALLY an apple or if it's some genetically modified science experiment.

And Yes, education does play a HUGE role and we need to educate people. My goodness, just a few months ago there was a crap storm in the media because *gasp* organic carrots aren't healthier than conventional carrots. Well no duh. But this was upsetting to some people! They honestly believed that an organic carrot somehow contained more nutrients or something than a conventional carrot!

And every 15 minutes on TV I see a V8 commercial 'should've had a V8' because it's so much easier to drink this concoction of who knows what than eat a dang serving of broccoli. Showing grown ADULTS being all whiney and childlike about eating vegetables or fruits. I mean, really? What kind of message does that send to children? "Vegetables are gross. Drink this yummy mixture that doesn't even taste like vegetables because we've added so much freaking sugar...er I mean HFCS."

Or commercials for pedialite drinks "My child refuses to eat broccoli so I give her this sugar filled crap drink so ensure she's getting the nutrients she needs." Um, no, make your kid eat freaking broccoli, it's not that hard. My kids LOVE broccoli and I don't even melt some yellow substance posing as cheese product all over it. I steam it, they eat it and love it.
Excusing people for their poor choices because the government should do xyz is still taking personal responsibility out of the equation. No one needs processed junk, and I don't believe anyone truly believes any of it it healthy. And if they do, then they are completely unthinking and education is not going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

Yes, and when it's childhood obesity, the onus is on the parents to provide the food. Presumably the children are not choosing and purchasing this food at the grocery store. If the choice isn't there to eat a high-calorie food that the body may be craving, the choice can't be made. There are also other alternatives when the body is craving these things - spoonfuls of peanut butter, avocado, cashews. All are valid, healthy choices with a myriad of redeeming nutritional features and have some fat.

I didn't quote this, but I agree with addicteddad that I have never met anyone overweight who is eating a truly healthy diet. I don't even see how this needs to be restrictive. No one is advocating that kids only eat kale and greek yogurt. It's quite easy to be stringent at home and then go with the flow out of the home. I realize this is going to sound really elitist, but in our home, we have chosen to commit to a lifestyle where we purchase everything organic possible, no junk, and don't stray from it. Then, when we go out, we can be as flexible as we want because we do it around one meal every two weeks. One out of 42 meals we all eat whatever we want, however much we want, and no one feels bad about it. We go out for treats here and there but they are all out of the house. Takes away the temptation. That way when I really crave something, it's easy to rationalize going to get it, because I haven't sauntered to my freezer with every whim.

We snack here all the time. I don't see constant snacking being an issue, because we aren't snacking on goldfish and poptarts. We eat some fruit, lots and lots of cut up veggies and hummus, and peanut butter and apples. That's pretty constant. As much as you want, go for it. But, it's indeed a lifestyle choice.
Your house sounds a lot like our house. It also sounds a lot like my great-grandparents house (and what everyone else's house used to be like). I don't think it is elitist so much as common sense.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #104
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I think it is partly the governments fault. The FDA needs to do it's job and regulate our food. They need to get HFCS and all this other additives, many of which are banned in other nations because of how wretched they are. They need to stop allowing GMOs (most other nations at the very least label the garbage) they need to stop allowing pink slime in our ground beef.

Instead they're in the pockets of the Big Beef industry that wants to make the most product they can, as cheaply as they can so they allow pink slime. They're in the pockets of King Corn so they allow HFCS....not only that but King Corn is allowed to put out commercials LYING the public about how your body can't tell a difference between cane sugar and 'corn sugar' (to that end they can label it 'corn sugar' since HFCS got such a bad rep. All these organizations that get a bad rep in the news are still in our food they've just managed to petition to get a new name so no one knows it's HFCS or GMOs or God only knows what.

You can't even go to the store and buy a dang apple without knowing if it's REALLY an apple or if it's some genetically modified science experiment.

And Yes, education does play a HUGE role and we need to educate people. My goodness, just a few months ago there was a crap storm in the media because *gasp* organic carrots aren't healthier than conventional carrots. Well no duh. But this was upsetting to some people! They honestly believed that an organic carrot somehow contained more nutrients or something than a conventional carrot!

And every 15 minutes on TV I see a V8 commercial 'should've had a V8' because it's so much easier to drink this concoction of who knows what than eat a dang serving of broccoli. Showing grown ADULTS being all whiney and childlike about eating vegetables or fruits. I mean, really? What kind of message does that send to children? "Vegetables are gross. Drink this yummy mixture that doesn't even taste like vegetables because we've added so much freaking sugar...er I mean HFCS."

Or commercials for pedialite drinks "My child refuses to eat broccoli so I give her this sugar filled crap drink so ensure she's getting the nutrients she needs." Um, no, make your kid eat freaking broccoli, it's not that hard. My kids LOVE broccoli and I don't even melt some yellow substance posing as cheese product all over it. I steam it, they eat it and love it.
I just don't agree that the government is at fault. Possibly a teeny bit complicit by not better regulating, but not at fault. The government regulates drugs and there are plenty of people who make poor choices and do drugs. The government regulates drunk driving, underage drinking, and a whole host of other things, and people still make poor choices. The responsibility is on the individual to choose wisely or unwisely. Even if the government did completely eradicate HFCS, I could still bake a triple batch of brownies in my own home and eat it with a fork, day in and day out. They could be totally organic, still doesn't make it healthy. I also don't agree that the media is at fault. Go ahead and advertise! Make that kid want to go to Coldstone. Make him salivate over it. If Coldstone is a once a month treat and that kid is eating well the rest of the time, then Coldstone has properly spent it's marketing dollars and has been chosen over Baskin Robbins. It is still a choice on how often and when to indulge.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #105
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I didn't think I had much to contribute to this conversation, but something that happened on Friday changed that. As my 4 year old daughter (steady 50th percentile in weight) hung out, William's physician did his 18 month checkup. William was 10th percentile at 15m and now he was 9th, which was no cause for alarm. He did go on to say that the AAP recently changed their recommendations for milk intake from whole milk until 2 yo to low fat, yes, even for kids my son's age, due to the obesity epidemic. I think it's a crock and shame on the doc for even bringing it up.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #106
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all 11 pages.
My son is 10 and he is overweight. He was skinny from toddler to age 8. Then he gained weight and went from slims to husky size pants. Am I concerned? No!
He is active. We don't eat out a lot. He doesn't get a ton of candy or processed food. He never drinks soda or koolaid. I might have 5 or 6 things in the house that have high fructose corn syrup but I'm trying hard not to buy anything that contains it.

I don't limit his portions. He has to eat all of his food on the plate including his vegetables and then he can have 2nds of whatever. He has not had a TV dinner in 2 years. I'm not going to start acting like the food police.

I think it is perfectly normal for kids to gain weight ... grow.. gain weight and then grow. He out grew all his school pants in 2 months after school started. (They all became highwaters) He takes his vitamins and is relatively healthy. His dad is over 6 ft and naturally over 200lbs. His dad has never battled with obesity. I have never been more than 15lbs over weight (except right after having a baby and I have a thyroid issue). We have no family history of obesity. BUT all three of my brothers did get chunky in middle school and leaned as they grew. All three of my brothers are average/skinny now as adults.
His pediatrician said he was overweight but not obese. I told them I am not putting him on a diet. I told them to check his BMI and they said they would do that next year if it was still a concern.

I do think it is the parents job to monitor. However as long as the kid is eating healthy, I think it's kinda normal for weight to fluctuate.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #107
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that, in large part, the parents are 100% at fault. They buy swiss cake rolls instead of apples, they buy potato chips as a 'snack' rather than celery. It's 100% their fault that their kids are fat, but it doesn't change the fact that a jumbo bag of potato chips is 99 cents and will last for weeks and weeks. A bag of carrots is $2.50 (at least here) and lasts a week or so before it spoils. If you have $50 a week to feed your family on you're going to go for what is filling and what costs less. White bread, enriched pasta, potato chips...all 100% unhealthy, but also cheap and filling and easy.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #108
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Dp

Last edited by monkeymama07; 01-19-2013 at 01:39 PM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #109
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Your sounding awfully judgemental as are many others.

As for the sugar filled crap drink you know it and drinks like it literally Keep some of our kids Alive. So you may want to curb your judgement of people using them.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #110
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

As much as I believe in personal responsibility I do think the govt has played a huge role in this as well. It's not just whether they should or should not outlaw hfcs. It's the fact that they have been dumping money into the production of hfcs and because of their meddling (corrupt deals being made) hfcs is cheaper to buy than real sugar, even though due to the long process of making it should cause it to be more expensive. So the taxpayers are paying to make it cheaper for companies to dump this crap in our food.

It's the same thing with the beef. Its not whether they should outlaw the pink slime but that they should stop using tax dollars to support these huge farms that have bad practices and load up our food with things that are killing us citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote