Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #61
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl View Post
I think doctors and nurses also do not take nutrition courses in med school (in fact, I've had them admit it) or they only take 1. My son's first ped told us to feed him ice cream to help him gain weight. My son was hypoglycemic at the time, 1 yr old and 16lbs, (is now super close to being borderline diabetic at age 5 and 35lbs) We obviously switched peds to one less clueless.

People think popcorn is a great snack. Popcorn is a treat for my kids, a rare treat, because corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain which means it's a carb. I had someone who told me in a very snotty tone that she's an RN and would never suggest something unhealthy and popcorn is fine.

Yeah, whatever.

How many people are clueless that corn isn't a vegetable? My well educated mother didn't know until 6 months ago.

If doctors don't know, how on earth do we expect everyone else to know? I admit I still have a lot to learn, but I've learned that seeking out a nutritionist is better than asking most doctors (although our new ped is excellent). So even if people are going to doctors, they may still be getting crummy advice and how many people can afford to seek more help? It's expensive! (but we have to because of our children's health)
I have actualy never heard that someone thought he is eating vegetables when eating popcorn. Anyway, I don't think that popcorn is a bad snack, it depends how they are prepared, what you normaly eat and how much of it.
That pediatrician was really bad I guess the kid would have liked the idea to gain on ice cream

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #62
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I know, but DD1 isn't a carb eater. She has never like potatoes, lol.
LOL, I have the problem with my son, he is very lean and active but starts to get cold easily and tired in swim training, he could use more carbs which I try to give him by serving rice, noodles and potatoes as sides but he fills himself up with the protein and veggies and I am left to finish his plate
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom View Post
I have actualy never heard that someone thought he is eating vegetables when eating popcorn. Anyway, I don't think that popcorn is a bad snack, it depends how they are prepared, what you normaly eat and how much of it.
That pediatrician was really bad I guess the kid would have liked the idea to gain on ice cream
Yeah, if someone thinks popcorn is a veggie that is a huge problem. Popcorn has lot of fiber in it and is a good snack, in moderation of course.

Quote:
LOL, I have the problem with my son, he is very lean and active but starts to get cold easily and tired in swim training, he could use more carbs which I try to give him by serving rice, noodles and potatoes as sides but he fills himself up with the protein and veggies and I am left to finish his plate
Yep, I would love for her to eat more carbs through pasta and potatoes, but oh well. When she gets hungry she will go and grab the bag of carrots or the container of raspberries.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the whole thread but wanted to add to the comment about how our country views larger children as normal. My ds2 is thin but muscular and smack dab in the middle on the growth chart for his height and weight. I have had certain family members tell me how sad they are for him that he is so skinny and I need to make him eat more. They expressed concern to my great aunt about "poor Zach" being so skinny and sickly looking. Their own grandson who is 5 months younger than Zach is definitely overweight if not obese and they just think he is healthy. The kid ONLY eats grilled cheese, cheese pizza and mac and cheese ever or sweets. My oldest and youngest are also at a healthy weight but are built differently so they don't look as thin as my middle one does. It is super aggravating that they think he is underweight and "sickly" (he is not sick very often at all) and that I need to fatten him up! We eat a very plant strong diet (no red meat) and very little wheat and dairy due to allergies and intolerances. Idk how that is not as healthy as their kids diet.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #65
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
But we have corn in a mixed vegetable bag, and people do not connect that popcorn while not a vegetable means corn is also not a vegetable.

My son didn't like ice cream at the time, and because they've always eaten healthy the rare times they do have "sweets" I hear "this is too sweet" or after 2 bites "I'm done" and sometimes they get headaches or stomach aches from these foods.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #66
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsmom
The way we eat popcorn is a good snack

Air popped with no additions. But I don't think I'm feeding her a vegetable snack. Way better than crackers though
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #67
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is making me hungry with this popcorn talk
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #68
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
So...are nutritious foods important? Absolutely. But if one person takes in 2000 calories of crap and burns 1500, and the next person takes in 6000 calories and burns 1500, the second person WILL gain weight, even if they ate 6000 calories of fruits and veggies and the first at 2000 calories of twinkies. BUT, the second person probably has to do substantially less work to burn the 1500 calories, because their calories are likely to burn off easier.
I just want to point out that it's a lot harder to overeat when it comes to healthy things. People can eat a lot of cheap, refined carbs. They make your body crave them even more and then you're hungry again a few hours later. However, people aren't likely to overeat when it comes to vegetables and healthy grains and nuts. They fill you up and you aren't starving again 45 minutes later. Healthy, whole foods take longer to digest (a lower Glycemic Index) while refined processed foods digest faster and you're hungry sooner.

And I really don't believe in the counting calories bit either. 100 calories of junk food provides little to no nutrition. 100 calories of something healthy provides your body with the vitamins and minerals necessary for good health and good immune system. Someone who eats 2000 calories a day of junk food may not be overweight, but they certainly won't be healthy, especially in the long run. I'd rather be a few pounds "overweight" eating healthy foods, while knowing the food going into my body is nutritious.

Last edited by DesertRat; 01-18-2013 at 03:48 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
The way we eat popcorn is a good snack

Air popped with no additions. But I don't think I'm feeding her a vegetable snack. Way better than crackers though
It all depends on how your body works, and if one's body is already approaching diabetic, popcorn, even air popped with little/nothing on it, is not much better than junk food.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #70
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma
Everyone is making me hungry with this popcorn talk