Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #71
Josiekitty
Registered Users
seller

I am sorry to say that some people eat unhealthy food because they choose too. All my hubby side of relatives are obese and they r smart people......they talk about they should exercise and eat more healthy food such as veggies and fruits and cut back from sodas. they have join several exercise programs but fail each time. They KNOW what they need to change in their life to make it happen but they FAIL every time.
It's not easy....it takes commitment......my SIL said she's too tired after work to cook......I'm sorry to say that many of us r tired after work but we cook for our family anyway. My hubby and I watch what we eat and we still eat bad food sometimes such as bacon BUT I don't eat the whole package by myself each Sunday like my FIL did.
People make choices in their life, sometimes they know the consequence but they do it anyway. My bil is getting the surgery next month but he didn't follow his Doc diet plan, he just hope the surgery is going to solve his weight problem without him putting the effect into workout. He drinks one to two litters of diet coke everyday.
My mil gives three years old niece either cupcake, cake, ice cream or cookies everyday. She babysit him everyday . And she will complain to me that he doesn't wants to eat veggies and fruits. She said to me that she knows hot dog and ..... R bad for kid but that's what she fix day in day out. I watch my kid by myself(she offer to watch her we said no), if we go over for visit, I pack healthy food for my DD.

Advertisement

Josiekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #72
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk childhood obesity....

It's very complex I agree but if you look at many countries that obesity isn't a big of a problem like in the US, their lifestyle is very much different.

The culture of eating in this country I think has the biggest impact. Then lack of exercise due to the sheer size of the country requiring most people to drive everywhere. As a society I feel many people are overworked in their own sense which can impact how they cope.

Kids nowadays are more prone to obesity because they are simply stuck at home if not being babysat by electronics. It's easy for the parents and keeps them in place quiet.

And I agree that we're so used to seeing overweight people that skew the idea on what healthy person even looks like; if not skinny people tend to get bashed for supposedly not eating enough (or simply jealous).

As a whole many people just don't know where to start to how to try and stay healthy without sacrificing so much. In that sense it's hard to put blame on anyone but it just becomes a cycle that only seem to get worse.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #73
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would agree with the notion that it is ignorance and bad diet, if I didn't know so many stick thin people who eat equally badly and stay as thin as a stick. My husband and my step children hardly ever consume any vegetables. When I lamented my plight with my DD's pediatrician she sighed: "She's a white carber right?" and I laughed and said: "And struggles to weigh enough." They are total gamers too with little to no exercise to my dismay.

Me on the other hand are fat - yes, obese unfortunately - I know nutrition this way and that and exercise this way and that, but I am so tired of having to work at it day and night since I was 7, I was fat then already. I was 7 in the 80s before there was an "epidemic". There were hardly any treats in our house. I got fat on regular garden grown vegetables (my dad's a great gardener) and home kept chickens.

The only thing I can attribute my fat too is the amount I eat in relation to how much they eat. I do eat a lot more because I am an emotional eater and a stress eater. I am trying to battle that bad habit but it is really, really difficult.

So, from where I stand, I think we have a lot more overwrought people who do not drink, smoke or use drugs and do other "bad" stuff so much anymore (statistics show a steep decline in those habits due to societal pressures). They eat it away instead. And if a parent eats a lot, it is more likely that a child eats a lot and ....

I am really struggling with my problem so that I do not teach my daughter that food is the answer to her problems either.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #74
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And I really don't believe in the counting calories bit either. 100 calories of junk food provides little to no nutrition. 100 calories of something healthy provides your body with the vitamins and minerals necessary for good health and good immune system. Someone who eats 2000 calories a day of junk food may not be overweight, but they certainly won't be healthy, especially in the long run. I'd rather be a few pounds "overweight" eating healthy foods, while knowing the food going into my body is nutritious.
The flip side to that, is if you've already had enough calories for the day, then 100 more calories of apple is not healthier than 100 extra calories of cookies. You don't need it, and you will turn it into fat, no matter what it used to be.

I just started counting calories again for the first time in ages. (I've done Weight Watchers a few times and counted points, but I'm back to basics right now with calories.) I've seen some pretty convincing arguments that people who manage to lose weight and keep it off long term generally continue counting calories for life. Basically, if you tend to overeat, then you will underestimate how much you eat unless you strictly track it.

I think the obesity epidemic child and otherwise, comes down to calories in, calories out. Food is easier to come by, and we eat it in bigger portions. And we've made the indoors way more fun than it used to be. I don't want to moralize about that because it's not bad, it just is. We just need to become more aware of what we take in and burn off. Managing calories this way is a brand new skill for humans to develop. (Before now, the only calorie management most people needed was more more more.) it's not surprising that we're struggling with it.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #75
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
The flip side to that, is if you've already had enough calories for the day, then 100 more calories of apple is not healthier than 100 extra calories of cookies. You don't need it, and you will turn it into fat, no matter what it used to be.

I just started counting calories again for the first time in ages. (I've done Weight Watchers a few times and counted points, but I'm back to basics right now with calories.) I've seen some pretty convincing arguments that people who manage to lose weight and keep it off long term generally continue counting calories for life. Basically, if you tend to overeat, then you will underestimate how much you eat unless you strictly track it.

I think the obesity epidemic child and otherwise, comes down to calories in, calories out. Food is easier to come by, and we eat it in bigger portions. And we've made the indoors way more fun than it used to be. I don't want to moralize about that because it's not bad, it just is. We just need to become more aware of what we take in and burn off. Managing calories this way is a brand new skill for humans to develop. (Before now, the only calorie management most people needed was more more more.) it's not surprising that we're struggling with it.
I have read in "The New Rules of Lifting for life" - a book on how to maximize weight loss and muscle building through weight lifting-type exercises - that saying weight loss is as simple as calories in and calories out is very over simplified. He made an analogy, the body is a very accurate calculus machine, yet we ask it to do simple arithmetic by counting calories only.

The author named a number of studies on all sorts of diets and nutrition beliefs and stated that most people will act in x, y, z in a certain nutritional situation but there are always people who will have results on the outsides of the spectrum - some will lose a lot fast and still be healthy and another would gain weight. Same exact exercise and diet programs.

The key to nutrition is to find out what your body, mind and spirit responds to and keep with that program. To me, it is simply keeping 3 filling and delicious meals a day (and I think junk food tastes like crap btw) do some moderate exercise and do work that does not require me to sit at a desk all day.

I just have a very hard time, right now, to put all that I know that works for me into action.

Oh, and also, I will not aim to lose all the weight ever in my life. I have been fat since I was a young kid. I am sure that there is some genetic predisposition to being fat. If I look at old black and white photographs of my mom's side of the family dating back to the late 1800s - all the women who have my facial features are fat. None of them are obese - dieting did that to me - but they are all weighing at least 180lbs - 200lbs (and they are tall). They all looked strong.

I do think that above and beyond everything else, we also have to understand that sometimes people just need to be a little fat. There were always people who were a little fat and there always will be. Our obsessive preoccupation with not being fat is making us fat.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #76
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Has anyone mentioned farm subsidies? The way that the government subsidizes corn and soy (e.g., cheap animal feed and corn sugar) is a HUGE problem. It artificially deflates the cost of cheap factory-farmed and added sugars. A Big Mac and a chocolate milkshake would be significantly more expensive without those subsidies.

Since having a child, I've also been blown away at the eat anywhere/anytime culture. I've taken dd to one-hour children's theater and I watch kids snacking on Goldfish crackers all the way through. When she was younger, we sometimes used to take her to a morning sing-along at our synagogue, and it was the same thing--practically every kid running around with a snack. I think there are many kids who are just used to eating all the time. (My dd has severe food allergies, including contact-induced allergies, so this also means that there are virtually no safe spaces for her.)
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #77
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I have read in "The New Rules of Lifting for life" - a book on how to maximize weight loss and muscle building through weight lifting-type exercises - that saying weight loss is as simple as calories in and calories out is very over simplified. He made an analogy, the body is a very accurate calculus machine, yet we ask it to do simple arithmetic by counting calories only.

The author named a number of studies on all sorts of diets and nutrition beliefs and stated that most people will act in x, y, z in a certain nutritional situation but there are always people who will have results on the outsides of the spectrum - some will lose a lot fast and still be healthy and another would gain weight. Same exact exercise and diet programs.
I agree on an individual level. But on a population level, it comes down to eating more and moving less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
Since having a child, I've also been blown away at the eat anywhere/anytime culture. I've taken dd to one-hour children's theater and I watch kids snacking on Goldfish crackers all the way through. When she was younger, we sometimes used to take her to a morning sing-along at our synagogue, and it was the same thing--practically every kid running around with a snack. I think there are many kids who are just used to eating all the time.
Yes! It blows me away too. I'm struggling to fight it with my kids, without becoming to restrictive and having it boomerang on me. Right now they're both lean, but partly it's because we encourage lots of activity. When they grow up, after a lifetime of getting food everywhere all the time but suddenly they work at a desk...yikes.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #78
Angel89411
Banned

I fight with my almost 5 year old sometimes. He wants to eat when anyone else is eating. I have to make judgement calls on when he has had enough or he will eat 5-6 slices of pizza plus stuff. And I do try to read labels and only keep low sugar, natural or organic quick snacks in the house. We eat lots of fruit, too. I have to do green smoothies to get veggies in him.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #79
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's about 50% parental neglect and 50% crappy food allowed by the government.

My SIL's children are all borderline overweight. My SIL is overweight, her children's father is overweight. She feeds them nothing but crap. Macaroni and cheese (boxed), hotdogs (the cheapest ones available), Banquet dinners, McDonalds, other frozen/canned/boxed dinner, she never cooks anything. They rarely get fruits or vegetables. Her idea of 'fruit' is the canned crap in heavy syrup or technicolor applesauce out of a jar. Vegetables are non-existent. She doesn't even care. Her oldest daughter is not quite 5 and weighs more than my almost 8 year old. Her 2 year old weighs about the same as my 5 year old. Her 3 year old weighs more than my 5 year old. They drink full sugar soda and Hawaiian punch because they 'don't like water'. Her kids are going to be obese and fat...it's 100% her fault. She attends WIC and gets nutritional advice, she just doesn't care enough to take it. She's lazy and doesn't want to learn to cook.

On top of the fact that it's nearly impossible to find bread that does NOT have HFCS unless you're willing (or able) to pay $5 for a loaf...everything has dyes and colors and preservatives...it's disgusting.

And the snack baggie. Swear to God every where I go kids have a snack baggie stapled to their hand. They can't go 15 minutes without eating, and it's not even anything DECENT...dry cereal, Gerber puffs, goldfish, etc...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #80
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I did not read the replies, but I believe it is 100% the fault of the parents if a child is overweight or obese (barring an actual medical condition). 100%, no exceptions.

Lack of education is a poor excuse, and if someone is so ignorant as to legitimately believe that potato chips or fruit snacks are healthy, then I honestly believe they never should have reproduced and passed on those genes to begin with. It is not hard to eat healthy, and you can eat well cheaply with little prep time if you eat a redundant menu. It costs nothing to exercise with your kids, and if a person doesn't have time to feed their kids well or make sure they are active, then they should not have them.

Yes, I really feel this way. I feel like parents are responsible for their kids and making sure they can take care of them. I really feel like parents have the sole responsibility for making sure their kids are not overweight. No, I really don't think it is the fault of the schools or the media. I don't think my view is extreme in the least. I think we've become lazy as a society and blaming others for a problem with what kids eat is just one symptom.