Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99 View Post
I have a standard poodle and would just like to say poodles shed, they don't shed as bad as other breeds, but they are hypoallergenic, meaning people aren't allergic to them. If you keep them shaved it helps, but I am covered in dog hair as is my house. They have an insane amount of energy as well, so be prepared for a lot of walking and play time.
Well, yes, they shed, but it tends to be in clumps that you can just pick up and throw away. So it's not the annoying kind of shedding, IMO.

Advertisement

jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan

Well, yes, they shed, but it tends to be in clumps that you can just pick up and throw away. So it's not the annoying kind of shedding, IMO.
True it is more in clumps, and it doesn't weave into fabrics like short hair dogs hair does, but it's still annoying to me. Lol
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
ajk0308
Registered Users
seller

We have an English Bulldog named Roman... He is a 62lb lover. Not a mean bone in his body. In fact he just got attacked by a Boxer at the dog park a week ago and had to go to the doggie hospital. Ours was on a leash, boxer wasn't. But thats another story... Bulldogs just think they are people. We can't go take a shower without him coming with us. He never barks, never chews stuff, and only sheds minimally. They are a tough breed to keep up with though. He eats expensive special food bc they are known for GI issues. His gas can clear a room or 2. Lol Good luck in your decision on what breed to get...
ajk0308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have a American Pitbull Terrier. She is 7 years old, laid back, great with kids, loves everyone even strangers, cuddles, doesn't shed. Our rottie is also a great family dog, but he does shed... A lot.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #25
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennayoung99 View Post
I guess the point is that all dogs shed, especially short haired dogs, poodles are better than other breeds but just as human hair falls out poodle hair will too.
exactly. If you don't want dog hair, then don't get a dog. All dogs shed, period. You may not notice it as much due to color, length or thickness, but there will be shedding. Also, just because a dog has short hair doesn't mean it wont shed as much as those with a thicker longer coat. I have a weimaraner that has a silky short thin coat that doesnt have a fluffy down coat (like a Labrador, short hair, but yet thick coat). She sheds, and sheds and sheds. I vacuum more small silver eyelash sized weimaraer hair more than I have to the darker black doberman hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
We had a Doberman and he was seriously the sweetest dog ever. So patient with DS and a total cuddle bug. Dobermans aren't as popular as they used to be so people forget about them but they are considered a bully breed as well. I would definitely get another if we were looking for another dog.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Dobermans are not bully breeds. The term "bully breeds" was initially used to refer to all dogs that were bred for the purpose of bull baiting. They're only associated with other bully breeds as being added to the "bad list" of common aggressive dogs (out of ignorance) but are not a bully breed. Like the chow chow and dalmatian, not bully breeds, but are listed with most BSL along with most bully breeds.

Last edited by mom2LBJ; 01-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #26
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, my first comment was that all those breeds shed..............I don't know about the so called "non-shedding" breeds but the breeds you listed will definitely shed.

That said, if you want a protective dog that is going to be great with kids and you can deal with a bit of hair then I would get a rottweiler. Obviously I'm biased and I will always have a rottweiler in my home........they are amazing dogs. My guy has a great temperament, he loves my girls, cuddles my foster cats and he is protective of our family. I do love Pittbulls but their exercise needs are a bit much for us......I do run with my guy but he's content with a walk too. I would also consider an American Bulldog.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #27
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

As others have already mentioned, every breed that you posted about being interested in sheds. While they don't shed terribly year round, they will shed, you will need a steady supply of lint rollers, and you will need to vacuum daily if you're anything like me and can't stand hair.

In the past we've had a Pit mix and a Great Dane. They have both since passed away but they were absolutely fantastic members of our family. I still tear up over them not being here anymore.

We now have a 15 month old American Bulldog. I kid you not, he's like the perfect combination of our Pit and Dane...it's crazy! We couldn't have asked for a better boy to bring into our family. He's loyal, extremely smart, eager to please and learns quickly. He is beyond tolerant!

So please just keep in mind about the shedding that comes along with these breeds. They are worth it, IMO...but they're all very social animals that need to be with your family and not outside due to the annoyance of shedding.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just to show off our baby, this is Samson with DS1 smothering him (as usual).

Attachment 130715

Last edited by Mama*Kim; 09-06-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

American Bulldogs sound like such an amazing breed! We are happy with just our guy right now but in the future we may add another larger breed dog and I would consider an American Bulldog........they sound wonderful. We also might be another rottweiler from the same breeder as Bosco.

If you walked into my house you wouldn't know I had a sheding dog.......but that takes a lot of upkeep and vacuming! Even with his shorter coat.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #30
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is my AB, Memphis.

Attachment 130717

Last edited by napua; 02-08-2013 at 01:34 AM.
napua is offline   Reply With Quote