Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #41
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post

yeah, just tough a looking, but in no way bully breed.

heres our blue Doberman Pinscher (taken at under a year old. She turns 2yrs next month, so she has grown since.)-

and they're oh-so sweet looking with natural ears (ours was show cropped under breeder contract)-
I know they are not a "bully breed". OP asked for big, tough, bully dogs (she even asked about Danes and other breeds).
Ours had natural ears. He was huge for the breed... 115 lbs.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016

Last edited by kushie tushie; 01-16-2014 at 09:52 AM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #42
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Enable me...Boxers,Danes,Pitbulls,Bulldogs,etc

Thanks for the pictures I absolutely adore them! The boxer has always been my dream dog but, w/ three littles ones I have worried hyperness mixed w/ a larger size wouldnt be a good mix.
My cousin had a deaf doberman that was a rescue and the poor dog had behavior issues due to the deaf and the way he was cared for before but, once they got him to listen through sign he was an amazing dog!!!
I am thinking the AB may be the way to go as it has the look and size I would prefer and the calmness indoors would take away the concern I have being inside w/ littles
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #43
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I love dobermans. Growing up I had a Doberman German shepard mix and she was a really great dog. Now we have a rescue who was labeled a pit mix or bulldog mix. Shes a very sweet girl. I'll post a pic in a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #44
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I know they are not a "bully breed". OP asked for big, tough, bully dogs (she even asked about Danes and other breeds).
Ours had natural ears. He was huge for the breed... 115 lbs.

Yes, she asked for big and tough looking. Dobermans might be tough looking like asked for, but are not a "bully breed" as mentioned.

115lbs! That is big for a truly medium sized breed! Ours is about 60lbs, half that size
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #45
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post

Yes, she asked for big and tough looking. Dobermans might be tough looking like asked for, but are not a "bully breed" as mentioned.

115lbs! That is big for a truly medium sized breed! Ours is about 60lbs, half that size
Goodness.. I know they are not "bully breed" but they are seen as bullys as in meanies. That's what I meant. I will not go back and forth anymore. You obviously didn't understand what I meant because I worded it poorly. My fault.

He truly was massive. He was almost the size of my friends female dane. His back came up to my hips (I'm short but he was still very tall and full). He scared the crap out of people but was a huge love bug.

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #46
RumBall
Registered Users

My vote goes to Boxer! They have a uniquely mature style of showing affection that I am fond of. I noticed your concern for the rescue dogs. I think all pet lovers can do their bit in contributing to the survival of rescue dogs by getting dog food from an innovative store called Freehand. As soon as they sell a bag of dog food, they send an equal amount of dog food to those unfortunate rescue dogs in shelters. So you can make your dog a savior in his own sense.
RumBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #47
megenic
Registered Users
seller

How about a pug? I know, I know...not a large breed....but my 48 pound pug begs to differ

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Yep, sure is an AB!
I thought so! Yes, they seem like sweet dogs........right up my alley since ive heard they are calm in the house, I'm not a huge fan of hyper dogs.....obviously all dogs need exercise but my guy is so calm in the house and he's not even 2 years old. After we go for a run he sleeps for the rest of the day. I had a lab once and we'd go for 4 mile runs and it still wasn't enough, when we got home he was still so hyper. My friends dogs are like that (shorthair pointers) we take our dogs to the dog park for a big hike/play and my dog sleeps for the rest of the day but they still have to take them for a second walk.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #49
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemama View Post
Thanks for the pictures I absolutely adore them! The boxer has always been my dream dog but, w/ three littles ones I have worried hyperness mixed w/ a larger size wouldnt be a good mix.
My cousin had a deaf doberman that was a rescue and the poor dog had behavior issues due to the deaf and the way he was cared for before but, once they got him to listen through sign he was an amazing dog!!!
I am thinking the AB may be the way to go as it has the look and size I would prefer and the calmness indoors would take away the concern I have being inside w/ littles
Well I am all for AB's, they are excellent dogs.

Duke taking care of his sick baby today. He just can't stand it that his baby is sick. He would love to be up on the couch with Tharen but he knows he isn't allowed.

just sneaking a little closer

This is the big version of my avi picture. Duke has been putting up with and taking care of Tharen since he was just a toddler. He puts up with a lot but he is always ready for whatever Tharen wants to do next.

I hear you on the shedding. Dogs do shed on completely different levels. Duke has a single coat so while he sheds it is just a bit of hair not tumble weeds of dog blowing across my house like my shelti growing up could produce (or my coydog who blew coat once a year). The worst shedding my house is actually my little 11lb chi/terrier mix. She has a double coat so despite being short haired she sheds a good bit. It is manageable because she is small but it is still a good bit of fur.

We had a Great Dane for a year and I loved that dog. We adopted her knowing she was older (we were told 6 but I think she was closer to 8). She was very sweet and probably not much heavier than Duke. We struggled to keep weight on her actually. She was excellent with Kearnan but I will say she made our house feel small in a way that Duke does not. She was so sweet and easy going that Tharen could walk her and he was only 2.5 at the time. She slept in bed with Kearnan and he walked her to school every day. We sadly lost her to bloat. I would certainly consider another Dane but we would probably need to have fewer dogs (she was great with Duke and even the little dogs though she wasn't as patient with them as he is, he helped raise them). It isn't that I think they aren't good with other dogs it is simply a space issue.

Tharen and our sweet Bella

Kearnan walking his girl to school

Sharing a bed
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #50
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awwww Megan that pug is so darn squishy cute and he must be a moose LOL