Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Daily Routine Ideas with Small Children

I stay home with my DS (4.5) and my DD (1.5), and I'm looking for some ideas to add some structure to our day.

What does your daily routine look like? What daily/weekly activities are essential for your family? How do you work in chores? Physical exercise? School (if you homeschool).

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Daily Routine Ideas with Small Children

I have three kids-2, 4, and 7. We homeschool, so most of our morning is that.
Kids get up around 8 and eat, make their beds and get dressed. While the two little girls are eating, getting dressed, or making their beds, I start school with dd7. I work with her for half hour or so, then she goes for a bike ride with the dog. Then I work with dd4 on her 'school'. That only takes 20 minutes or so. By that time dd7 is back. I send dd4 and dd2 off to play (either in their room, at the table coloring or doing play doh, or outside at the water table) and work with dd7 for another half hour. Then I send dd7 to do her. Hore for the day. I have a box of toddler/preschool activities in ziplock bags, so I'll get a few out for the younger two while I clean up breakfast. By that time, it's about 9:30-10. We do a snack or 'tea time' where i read poetry, bible, or history to everyone while they eat and make their tea. We usually head out for a walk or to the play ground. We pack a lunch, and stay until dd2 is ready for a nap. During her nap, I'll finish whatever school needs to be done, no more than half hour. Then the big girls are allowed to lay in my bed and watch a video (our room is the only tv in the house). They can also choose to play on PBS kids during that time. After nap, they have another snack. Sometimes I try to do art after snack, sometimes not. We walk the dogs, do chores together, and make dinner.
Our weekly schedule is-
Monday-no commitments outside the house
Tuesday-hs coop in the morning, 10-2
Wednesday-riding lesson for dd7 at 3:30
Thursday-gymnastics for dd4 at 5:30
Friday-playdate at the lake with two other hs families
Saturday-farmers marker for produce in the morning
Sunday-church in the morning and dd7 riding lesson at 4.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Chores when toddler is occupied or sleeping. Will workout when kids sleep at naptime. Basically all when kids sleep..... or after dad gets up to help watch. Same with errands as its faster without kids especially when I go to post office....

We have library programs most of the time & sometimes play dates with others otherwise its as usual for things around the house.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 01-15-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adding
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

Bump I need some guidance on this subject as well Mama!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
7-730: wake up, cuddle time
8ish: get kiddo dressed
Then: 1 episode of Yo Gabba Gabba while I shower
9-930: breakfast - I empty the dishwasher while I cook

Mondays: home, so read, play with toys, etc
Tuesdays: Tot Time from 930-11
Wednesdays: playgroup from 930-12
Thursdays: read, toys, etc until library story time at 1130 or just stay home
Fridays: Tot Time from 930-11

Then it's lunch, more books, playing, whatever - paint, whatever we want. If its warm, we go to the park.

130/2-4: naptime
This is when I jump on the treadmill

4-5: read, play, go outside
5: I make dinner
6: DH comes home and dinner
6-7: DH bonds with DD
7: bathtime and this is when I clean my zone for the day (Sundays hardwoods, Mondays carpets, etc etc All things do get extra cleaned as needed as well and toys cleaned up as they're played with)
8: bedtime

DD is 2yo
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Wake up around 7
Breakfast
Get dressed
Run errands if needed
Morning snack 10 am
Play at the house
Lunch 12
Nap
Snack after nap
Play outside
Dinner 5-6 pm
Baths every other night
Bedtime 8 pm

We usually try to do at least one activity like the zoo a week, one park day, and one play date.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a 1&2 yr old & this is our weekday routine:

when I'm good, I shower at 6:30am then go to kids as they get up.

when I'm bad, DH drops kids into bed with me as they wake up while he gets ready, then once he is ready, lets them play while he preps breakfast & my morning tea

DH leaves for work
breakfast for the rest

kids play while I clean up/pack snacks, lunch, preschool bag, diaper bag, prep slow-cooker dinner if required

load into car for 1 or 2 activities: preschool, grocery shopping, playcare/fitness for me, playdate, library time, early years centre drop-in, indoor sports program
one morning per week I pick up my neices 2 hours of play & lunch, one morning per week I drop my kids at SIL for playdate & lunch

arrive home & prep/serve lunch (if doing a playdate out, we'll often have lunch there)

change dipes & put kids down for naps/quiet time

clean up from lunch, put groceries away, prep & eat my lunch, tidy main level, prep dinner (everything cuts & in dishes ready for heating & serving later), do phone calls, relax with internet or book

wake DD1 early from nap (otherwise bedtime is a nightmare)
read with DD1 or watch Dora/YoGabbaGabba with her

wake DD2

play on whichever floor I need to get stuff done (prepping guest room for visitors/cleaning bathrooms/sorting laundry/stuffing dipes/doing laundry/cooking dinner/changing up toys in playrooms, etc)
1x/week DD1 has dance class, DD2 & I play around rec centre while she's in class (that is the slow-cooker day)

DH returns from work
dinner is served, or DH plays with kids while I finish prepping dinner

DH plays with kids, I clean up dinner, dishes, phone calls, etc

baths (not every night)
bed time for kids
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

dp

ETA: I subscribe to the get-out-of-the-house-every-day - usually only in the mornings for me. If I have a big job to do around the house, though, I'm willing to give one day/week a rest and stay home.

Last edited by MsGiggles; 01-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 ages 7, 4, and almost 2, plus I watch my 10 week old nephew 10 hours a day, Mon Thurs, and we homeschool the eldest. We are a Waldorf family, and generally stay home mon-wed, and go to the library storytime and lunch with my mom on Thursdays, and hiking or HS co-op on Fridays. We're still working on settling into a good rhythm since I just started taking care of the nephew last week. we don't have many toys, and they're all kept in the living room, so we pick them up before we move to the next activity; I do chores while they play and at nap.

The kids are generally awake by 5:30 or 6; they play with DW, and I sleep til 6:30 (I get up in the night with the almost two year old who's a lousy sleeper).
Breakfast
Drive DW to school if we need the car
Breakfast clean up, kids get dressed
Circle
Main lesson with 7 yo; younger ones play independently or participate at their level
Nephew arrives at beginning of independent work time for 7 yo
Nephew down for am nap; special story and craft with 4 and 2 yo while 7 yo practices piano or plays
Nephew up; bottle for him and snack and stories for 2 and 4 yo
Outside play
Lunch
Nap for youngest two; quiet time with 4 yo (special reading time for a while then she plays with 7 yo or alone); I prep dinner, fold laundry, catch up on chores for rest of nap
Snack for 2, 4, and 7; bottle for nephew
Skills practice for 7 yo (15 min)
Piano practice
Outside play
Mommy comes home/we go pick her up
Play with mommy while I finish dinner prep
Final clean up of toys, get into PJs
Settling in story
Dinner
Nephew leaves
Dinner clean up
Bedtime routine (usually 1-1.5 hours of stories read by one parent, other parent makes sure kitchen is clean and laundry is put away)
Bedtime for 2 yo; olders brush teeth
Last story for olders
Talk about the days (best, worst parts of everyone's day, what's happening next day, knock knock jokes, prayers, sing two songs)

ETA: our crafts rotate (Mon - seasonal, Tues - painting, wed - handwork, Thurs - baking)

Last edited by keysersoze; 01-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze
I have 3 ages 7, 4, and almost 2, plus I watch my 10 week old nephew 10 hours a day, Mon Thurs, and we homeschool the eldest. We are a Waldorf family, and generally stay home mon-wed, and go to the library storytime and lunch with my mom on Thursdays, and hiking or HS co-op on Fridays. We're still working on settling into a good rhythm since I just started taking care of the nephew last week. we don't have many toys, and they're all kept in the living room, so we pick them up before we move to the next activity; I do chores while they play and at nap.

The kids are generally awake by 5:30 or 6; they play with DW, and I sleep til 6:30 (I get up in the night with the almost two year old who's a lousy sleeper).
Breakfast
Drive DW to school if we need the car
Breakfast clean up, kids get dressed
Circle
Main lesson with 7 yo; younger ones play independently or participate at their level
Nephew arrives at beginning of independent work time for 7 yo
Nephew down for am nap; special story and craft with 4 and 2 yo while 7 yo practices piano or plays
Nephew up; bottle for him and snack and stories for 2 and 4 yo
Outside play
Lunch
Nap for youngest two; quiet time with 4 yo (special reading time for a while then she plays with 7 yo or alone); I prep dinner, fold laundry, catch up on chores for rest of nap
Snack for 2, 4, and 7; bottle for nephew
Skills practice for 7 yo (15 min)
Piano practice
Outside play
Mommy comes home/we go pick her up
Play with mommy while I finish dinner prep
Final clean up of toys, get into PJs
Settling in story
Dinner
Nephew leaves
Dinner clean up
Bedtime routine (usually 1-1.5 hours of stories read by one parent, other parent makes sure kitchen is clean and laundry is put away)
Bedtime for 2 yo; olders brush teeth
Last story for olders
Talk about the days (best, worst parts of everyone's day, what's happening next day, knock knock jokes, prayers, sing two songs)

ETA: our crafts rotate (Mon - seasonal, Tues - painting, wed - handwork, Thurs - baking)
Wow. This is amazing.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote