Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #141
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddlers on a leash

we have a monkey back pack, where you hold the tail, personally i think its adorable. We rarely use it right now, my 2.5 stays with us when shopping, and the baby isnt old enough to want to walk in the store.

However when i did use it, i did not drag my kid around like a dog, if he didnt want to walk with DH or I properly, he would be picked up and carried/sat in the cart/stroller ect until he did want to walk properly. That "leash" kept him safe while learning to stay with us and walk properly in public.

I would still use one now if we were in a very busy/large place, like the zoo or something

Advertisement

TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #142
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

For those of you opposed to child harnesses and leashes, here's an experiment for you:

Hold your hand up over your head like you're trying to hold hands with someone at least twice your height. Great. Now walk like that for 20 minutes. Arm feel ok? How about half an hour. Getting a little numb or achy?

I used it as a replacement for trying to hold hands with my DD all the time. She didn't want to be carried or worn, or strapped in a stroller, and we lived on a busy highway about 20-25 minutes walk to the nearest park. So it was either fight with her about the stroller or mei tai, deal with her crying the whole way there in the stroller, juggle her as she fought me trying to get down while I carried her or walk next to her. Just letting her walk without holding her hand when the traffic is whizzing by me at 80kph+ was going to give me heart failure even if she didn't get near it, so I'd either make her arm ache holding my hand or harness her. The latter made both of us much happier. We still held hands if she wanted to, or when we were crossing streets, but I could drop her hand without too much worry and let her bend down and pick up pretty rocks and smell flowers, and not let her arm get tired.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #143
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyMomma View Post
I don't like them and wouldn't use one. I also hate posts like these that ask for opinions and flame people for giving them.
Hey! I started the thread and I haven't flamed anyone. There are a lot of ladies here whose experience and opinions I have come really to value, and I genuinely wanted to know what they thought. And the leashers/non leashers haven't fallen down the usually predictable lines. That's why I asked.

I'm also pleased to see lots and lots of moderate comments about it, because it was something I was actually genuinely concerned about - I also respect my friends' opinions, especially sociological and notwithstanding no actual baby-experience, and I even respect (and was ephemerally sad that I didn't get her approval) the lady who ran the store I went into. I was sad to be on the other side, and I'm glad to know that the issue isn't as contentious or bitter as I had initially thought (and felt).
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #144
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
[...]

The phrase "mom on a rope" does NOT make me imagine a mom holding a kid leash. .... it makes me think of how I feel somedays .... wait, does this "rope" have a noose on one end??

And, I am totally kidding.
That is *exactly* what I thought of when I heard that phrase .
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #145
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

If I had a child who was quick to run off I'd have no problem using one. I actually have a backpack leash , but it turns out my lo is happy to hold my hand inane is really really careful around cars (like, oddly careful). He's pretty good in crowds but if I get nervous I just plunk him in a stroller.

Eta--computermamas response is a great example of when it can be a great tool. Disney world is another good example

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 01-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #146
BradleyMomma
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't referring to you specifically, OP Sorry that wasn't clear. Just meant generally.
BradleyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #147
mamaspice
Registered Users

This thread reminds me of this SNL clip:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/18878
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #148
addicteddad
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
For those of you opposed to child harnesses and leashes, here's an experiment for you:

Hold your hand up over your head like you're trying to hold hands with someone at least twice your height. Great. Now walk like that for 20 minutes. Arm feel ok? How about half an hour. Getting a little numb or achy?

I used it as a replacement for trying to hold hands with my DD all the time. She didn't want to be carried or worn, or strapped in a stroller, and we lived on a busy highway about 20-25 minutes walk to the nearest park. So it was either fight with her about the stroller or mei tai, deal with her crying the whole way there in the stroller, juggle her as she fought me trying to get down while I carried her or walk next to her. Just letting her walk without holding her hand when the traffic is whizzing by me at 80kph+ was going to give me heart failure even if she didn't get near it, so I'd either make her arm ache holding my hand or harness her. The latter made both of us much happier. We still held hands if she wanted to, or when we were crossing streets, but I could drop her hand without too much worry and let her bend down and pick up pretty rocks and smell flowers, and not let her arm get tired.

DS just turned 2, and hasn't shown interest in sitting in the stroller in months. He wants to either walk everywhere, which means trips do take quite a bit longer, but that's ok most of the time; or he wants one of us to carry him. He's now starting to enter that phase where he's quick enough to get out of sight if we blink too long and I suspect we'll look into the backpack harness options for the reasons you mention above.
Sometimes it's easy to forget just how exhausting and/or uncomfortable life can be for a toddler in a grown up sized world. Obviously I won't yank, drag, pull, snatch, or any other form of unnecessary physical coercion ds with one of these things, but the ability to allow him to still enjoy things while at the same time keeping him safe in certain situations is well worth it to me.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #149
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Omg, I can see all sorts of posts regarding 'staking' children. I already have the popcorn out. This thread is GREAT for the person home sick with the flu.
Just to add to it he was tied around the waist to a rope and then the other end of the rope to the tree.

When we kids heard the stories we had to laugh. None of us have done the same but I have used a leash and harness on our older two.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #150
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never used one, but I think nothing ill of parents who do. Some of them are super cute, and I really liked the Modern Family episode where Lilly was on one at Disneyland (or world, I forget), and then they let her off and she went running. I think it shed some positive light on child harnesses. I like the backpacks better than the ones around the wrist though.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote