Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~People with food allergies does this look like one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
She has never been to a GI for the reflux? If not you might want to check into that too. If they really think its reflux then its caused by something- a condition or a food, but that is where a GI doc would be useful.
They dont think it is reflux...im the one who wanted her on meds again after a year of being off to see if that helped..it didnt but then again maybe it is cause we need to take away dairy too...sounds like i have a lot of work to do trying to figure this all out!

Advertisement

We thank god for our infertility everyday!!
galesville1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980 View Post
They dont think it is reflux...im the one who wanted her on meds again after a year of being off to see if that helped..it didnt but then again maybe it is cause we need to take away dairy too...sounds like i have a lot of work to do trying to figure this all out!
Yeah, its a lot of fun. I was blown off by dd's doc as an overprotective parent. I started asking at 3 months about allergies because she screamed all the time and seem to be in pain. Doc told me she was too you and it was just colic. She went on prunes daily from 5 months to 1. It helped her to stop crying every day. We were then down to about a week out of the month. Still got blown off as being a helicopter parent. At 1 we switched docs. Took 5 mins for the doc to say something was definitely wrong. We lucked out in that 1. the new doc actually listened and 2. she also had a dairy intolerance. Based on our history she said right away to take her off all dairy. In 2 weeks we had a completely different child. There was never any question on her actual allergies- she has typical symptoms and had positive test results. Plus its kind of hard to deny an allergy when she was touched with an allergen and her face started swelling.

Anyway, A good doc (and the right one) will make all the difference in the world.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galesville1980

Funny thing is they dont want to test her for food allergies as she does not "look" like she has them?! So i can't even say the skin text said neg as we never got tested.
What are his signs of being allergic?
We are taking all dairy away for 10 days and bringing it back on day 11 to see what that does.
I think she is not "allergic" but intolerant to dairy maybe?!
You need to remove it for 2-3 weeks. That's how long it takes to completely clear her system.

We didn't relate a lot of it to the dairy until we removed it and thought wow who is this child?

He had night terrors for 2 years that magically disappeared after 4-5 days dairy free. They also come back when he has dairy. His behavior gets absolutely wild and his tummy and legs hurt.

My younger DD breaks out in excema bloody rash on her bum. mucousy poop. Raspy stuffy breathing. Hives.

I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter if you call it allergic or intolerant. The end result is still the same.

Last edited by mommy24babes; 01-17-2013 at 10:08 PM.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
77Lipen
Registered Users

I have asthma and various allergies that ahgrevate the sinuses.
Milk not to bad unless I was already inflamed from another irritant.

I removed wheat from my diet (wheat, not gluten) and cleared up alot of my issues and I hardly had any sinus issues.

Does she cough from post nasal drip.
I missed how old she is but could you use a neti pot to drain the sinuses?
Post nasal drip will irritate asthma.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #25
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd run from any doctor that said he could tell my child didn't have food allergies just by looking at the child...

I'm going to ask an odd question

When/If she has a runny nose ( even slight!) does she wipe at it with the back of her hand (side to side) or the palm of her hand (making an upward motion)

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and has your home been tested for mold?

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #27
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post

You need to remove it for 2-3 weeks. That's how long it takes to completely clear her system.

We didn't relate a lot of it to the dairy until we removed it and thought wow who is this child?

He had night terrors for 2 years that magically disappeared after 4-5 days dairy free. They also come back when he has dairy. His behavior gets absolutely wild and his tummy and legs hurt.

My younger DD breaks out in excema bloody rash on her bum. mucousy poop. Raspy stuffy breathing. Hives.

I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter if you call it allergic or intolerant. The end result is still the same.
Yes. I also agree with everything jbug is saying. My DD has a severe dairy allergy and everything she is saying applies right down to our ped saying there was no way it was an allergy at one month. And it is all applying to my five month old.

I tend to think allergy, probably dairy, but my DS has asthma and he sounds exactly like you're describing.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I think when he was saying she doesn't "look" like she has allergies he doesn't mean physical appearance, but the symptoms. Dh uses that phraseology when talking about patients and he doesn't mean the way the kid actually looks. Like, when I was pregnant and having these weird pain attacks, they didn't really follow the typical gallbladder symptoms, so dh said that it didn't look like a gallbladder attack. It doesn't mean that people who are having gallbladder problems have a specific look. I think it's just bad medical terms. They know what they are talking about amongst themselves, but patients are left going, WTF?

Seasonal allergies do have a typical look, however. They normally have slightly snubbed noses with a crease on top, because they rub their noses so often. My 4 year old has it, so we know she has seasonal allergies.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #29
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
I'd run from any doctor that said he could tell my child didn't have food allergies just by looking at the child...

I'm going to ask an odd question

When/If she has a runny nose ( even slight!) does she wipe at it with the back of her hand (side to side) or the palm of her hand (making an upward motion)
Back of hand/sleeve of shirt...why?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #30
galesville1980
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
Oh, and has your home been tested for mold?
How do I go about this?