Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/o what discipline works in YOUR family???

DD-
Natural consequences
Keeping her right by my side if she's being ugly to her brother (she hates having to follow me around)
Screaming or loud crying constitutes her leaving the room and laying in her bed until she stops
Lastly, a swift pop on the behind if she really losing it and I need to to quickly focus
Keeping our daily routine, doing what we say (every time) and being sure to listen when she speaks to us really prevents most problems

DS-
Natural consequences
A stern look and sharply calling his name is normally all he needs to correct his behavior
Time Out (doesn't work on DD because she likes to draw attention to herself there)
He really thrives on routine and natural consequences. He LOVES to be praised so that always steers him away from negative behavior

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash

Oh man!! My mom did this to me when I was younger (like, 10). She told me to clean my room. I didn't. She came back up an hour later (we used to clean alllllll day on Saturdays, we all had our own chores to do), and it still wasn't done. She came back and said, "Okay, this is it. If I come back up here again, and you haven't made substantial progress, I am taking everything that is on the floor, visible, and not in it's place, putting it in a black trashbag, and taken to the garbage."

I didn't believe her. I cleaned up MAYBE three things, and then was done. She came back up about 45 minutes later, trashbags in hand (she already knew, lol), and helped me put everything in trashbags (including some of my absolute FAVORITE clothes!) Then she made me carry them down and put them by the trash outside.

What I didn't know, is that she went out later and hid them in the garage. A little while later (probably a couple of weeks) after I had proven myself with my requested "chores" on Saturdays, she gave them back. She told me that if she ever had that problem again, she really WOULD get rid of them. I believed her after that. lol

This is actually where I got the idea of the way that I parent my kids (taking toys away, giving them to someone, etc.)
Yup, my mom did this too! I remember my brother sobbing about my rollerblades? I thought my mom was crazy. But I cleaned my room after that!

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1--time outs in her room and taking away Netflix

DS (Oppositional Defiant Disorder)--time outs, planned ignoring, taking things away

DD2--redirection
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

We usually try redirection first with DS (who's almost 3). If that fails, we use time-outs as per "1, 2, 3 Magic" which our pediatrician recommended.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before certain behaviors can began we try to instill positive behaviors to curb future issues. Hand holding for crossing all streets, hand on car or held in all car parks. We find nipping things in the bud helps so much for DS, when he nows the plan ahead of time. I say this based on the other thread, as it was a common issue for many.

Otherwise time outs, natural consequences, talking and removal of toys or rewards, all work great for DS. Also not letting a situaton build, the longer it goes on the less effective everything seems to become.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We dont discipline. We let our children run amok, and destroy everything and run the household.

Nah. Just things like taking away toys/electronics. Removing from table if they are acting out. No TV. Time alone in the bedroom, chores.

Its just rare that we have to do anything harsh. Usually a reminder that behavior is not very good at that moment and privilges will be lost is enough to turn them around.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
We've done this before, and we only had to do it once. DS2 had a toy dart gun that he was shoving crayons in. I told him the first time, "Don't do that, you are going to break it because the crayons will get stuck, then you can't put the darts in it." A couple hours later, I caught him HIDING, doing it again. I took the gun from him, and told him I was going to give it to a kid that could appreciate it, and play with it correctly, instead of trying to break it. Called a close friend, had her come get it for her DS. About 2 weeks later, when DS had proven that he could take care of his toys, we got the gun back (her son is 13, he doesn't REALLY want it, lol), and we haven't had a problem since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Oh man!! My mom did this to me when I was younger (like, 10). She told me to clean my room. I didn't. She came back up an hour later (we used to clean alllllll day on Saturdays, we all had our own chores to do), and it still wasn't done. She came back and said, "Okay, this is it. If I come back up here again, and you haven't made substantial progress, I am taking everything that is on the floor, visible, and not in it's place, putting it in a black trashbag, and taken to the garbage."

I didn't believe her. I cleaned up MAYBE three things, and then was done. She came back up about 45 minutes later, trashbags in hand (she already knew, lol), and helped me put everything in trashbags (including some of my absolute FAVORITE clothes!) Then she made me carry them down and put them by the trash outside.

What I didn't know, is that she went out later and hid them in the garage. A little while later (probably a couple of weeks) after I had proven myself with my requested "chores" on Saturdays, she gave them back. She told me that if she ever had that problem again, she really WOULD get rid of them. I believed her after that. lol

This is actually where I got the idea of the way that I parent my kids (taking toys away, giving them to someone, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
Yup, my mom did this too! I remember my brother sobbing about my rollerblades? I thought my mom was crazy. But I cleaned my room after that!

Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I so very desperately wish this worked with my ODD. I keep trying. It's useless, but I do keep trying it.

She is very, VERY difficult. Because she is JUST like me.

Ugh.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS is 2.5 and we do 1,2,3 timeouts with him. Unless its hitting, biting, bad words etc, then it is automatic time out without warning. When we started this he spent a decent amount in time out, now it isnt even a daily thing. I usually get to 2 and he is back on the right course. Sometimes I know he is just acting out, out of boredom or needing attention and I try to catch that and point him in the right direction, give ideas, or entertain him to avoid naughty things happening. if he is acting out bc of tiredness we just do an early nap and that helps 100%. I've noticed since starting time outs I've learned to read his acting out cues/what he needs much better and it has helped us both tremendously. He just has a ton of energy,and I do not.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, if DS is throwing a tantrum I ask him to go to his room and do it there with the door cracked. He usually goes right in, whines for 1 more minute and then happily entertains himself. I will wait 5 minutes, go in and he is back to his normal happy self.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can c/p if it's better, but it's a long post, so I'll link the thread for now. Post 2 is what we do. I have three kids (7, 4, and 2), all active, precocious, and not 'easy going' lol.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote