Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
KatieG-Lux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lactation Frustration

I have twin boys, 3 months old, and am back to work. In the beginning I tried to nurse them both every 3 hours and pumped every 2. There was plenty of milk, but this got too exhausting and turns out they weren't eating very well anyway (that's probably why I was getting so much from pumping).

Once I cut back to pumping every 3 hours THE MILK WAS GONE> I could only get enough for 1 of them so I had to supplement and split the breast milk between them at each feeding.

I have been trying EVERYTHING under the sun to increase my supply. Mothers Milk tea, maybe it increased a little but not noticeable. Pump every 2 hours.. stays the same (about 4-5 oz a pump ... not per breast). So now the last few days I've been having a brewers yeast and flack seed with yogurt shake and there is even less milk!!

I feel like there is some very precise method to making enough milk and I just cant get it right. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Advertisement

KatieG-Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

For me it is oatmeal (the real stuff like steel cut oats) and so much water. It is nursing on demand as much as possible when home and pumping on a set schedule at work.

The biggest difference for me has been no hormonal birth control this time around. I had major supply issues and my period while on the mini pill after my first pregnancy. This time around, we are using condoms and I have a great supply and have not gotten my flow yet. I am also 3 months post baby and work full time out of the home.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
KatieG-Lux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lactation Frustration

Thanks Van1300. I have heard oatmeal was also helpful, but havent really done it due to time, but Im willing to wake a few minutes early and give it a shot. I do drink at least a gallon of water during the day and no hormonal birth control.

I wish I could feed on demand at home, but theres not enough for both. Such a catch 22. So I nurse 1 through the night.

Thanks for the advise and Ill give the oatmeal a shot.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

first i was engorged all the time & tried to pump to keep up but nothing but engorgement as i also didnt have support to breastfeed.

try thistle or mothers milk plus or fenugreek. lots of water & cut out stress. stress robably not help my first. my other 2 kids after are breastfeeding champs.

definitely demand feeding. make sure you eat enough as well as another i know did p90x & her suupply went dry from being a good supply. probably from not balancing calories & workout as if all is in balance theoretically you should loose weight fine.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

can u nurse both at the same time? a double nursing pillow? baby can get out more than pump.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
KatieG-Lux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When home I try to nurse both at the same time, but it's just not e ought and I end up with 2 very fussy babies who are hungry all day and I'm on the couch nursing literally all day. By 5p I feel sorry for them, being so hungry and I'm exhausted so I give them a bottle. And yet the next day, there isn't any more milk than before.

I can try the thistle and increasing my diet. Thanks for the tips
Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Be sure you are not drinking too much water- frink to thirst is important, but if you drink too much, it can cause a drop in your potassium and electrolytes, and will actually decrease your supply!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
KatieG-Lux
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just thought about this but, I've had a cold the last few days and have been taking Sudafed. Is it possible that it has effected my supply?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

maybe when you're home you could let them comfort nurse a lot?like before theyre actually hungry. the more they suck on an empty breast that sends signals to your body to make more milk. obviously this makes them frustrated when they're actually hungry. I hope it gets easier! that has to be a lot of work to pump for 2

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 02-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieG-Lux View Post
I just thought about this but, I've had a cold the last few days and have been taking Sudafed. Is it possible that it has effected my supply?
Yes! pseudo-ephedrine has been shown in at least 1 study to reduce milk supply by an average of about 25% after just a single dose! May not happen for every women, but that is significant.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1884328/

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote