Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

Constipation Woes

I was admitted to L&D last Thursday because I was constipated and started spotting. They checked my cervix and I was 1cm dilated so they kept me 24hours for observation. I never dilated any more and the swab tested negative for preterm labor. I was advised to take it easy and not strain when having a BM.

I now take Colace twice a day and have ramped up my fiber and water intake. I've had 1 normal BM since then but today was another story. I had 2 small poops but felt really achy like I had more that just needed some pushing. I pushed a little and a little more came out but that was it. Then I noticed a couple drops of blood. I wiped and I had a little more but it went away after my 3rd wipe.

I called the doctor and they said to put on a pad and see how much I spot in an hour. I waited a bit, felt the urge to poop again and it got stuck. I did 2 big pushes and it came out. No spotting, no blood.

Now I'm just waiting to see if I spot any more. I don't think I will so yay for that but I am just so upset and paranoid about being so constipated. I eat a pretty balanced diet and I have started drinking 1.5 -2 L of water but it just doesn't seem like its helping and it makes me want to cry. I also eat a couple of prunes a day and take my colace twice a day.

Is anyone else having this much constipation trouble? I just feel like I'm doing everything I can except for going to a 200% fruits and veggies diet.

Advertisement

peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
samham
Registered Users
seller

Not that bad but I'm started to have issues. My intake nurse told me to drink a glass of prune juice followed by glass of coffee for instant relief. Once I was normal again, then add the extra fiber otherwise I would only be adding gas and bloating. Lots and lots of water seems to help some but I am about to start colace more often too. With DS1 I would go weeks without a BM even with colace twice a day.
Hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it the iron in your prenatal pills? That used to kill me.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Constipation Woes

I always have issues when I'm pregnant. I don't even take a prenatal because it makes it 10x worse when I do. I won't even talk about the hemorrhoids that have reappeared and won't go away. I drink plenty of water and eat a lot of fruits and veggies but that doesn't seem to matter. Prunes don't help, either. I've heard prune juice is more effective than the prunes themselves, but I can't choke the stuff down.

Maybe TMI, but are they sure the spotting is vaginal? I know I have blood from the hemorrhoids if they get too irritated.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solobluedancer View Post
Is it the iron in your prenatal pills? That used to kill me.
Yeah but it didn't stop me up this much earlier in my pregnancy. Of course my needs might be different now so it might be affecting me differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post

Maybe TMI, but are they sure the spotting is vaginal? I know I have blood from the hemorrhoids if they get too irritated.
Yeah. I've been checking and double checking and the spotting was vaginal. Luckily I haven't seen or felt any hemorrhoids but I am so scared of getting them from the constipation right now. I'm normally not that squeamish over anything but hemorrhoids for some reason scare me. They just sound so uncomfortable.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My intake nurse told me to drink a glass of prune juice followed by glass of coffee for instant relief. Once I was normal again, then add the extra fiber otherwise I would only be adding gas and bloating. Lots and lots of water seems to help some but I am about to start colace more often too. With DS1 I would go weeks without a BM even with colace twice a day.
Hope you start feeling better soon.
I have to say I was having TERRIBLE constipation....almost to the degree you are talking about. I posted in another forum asking for advice and Samham saved me lol!...though I tweaked it some. What I did was to FIRST get a good BM. I did the prune juice coffee thing and it worked moderately well. Then, I focused on staying regular. My diet is pretty healthy and balanced like yours so I wouldnt change too much there (maybe a bit more water, but nothing else). My midwife recommended taking 2 Colace in the morning and 2 in the evening for a couple of weeks. If I was pooping regularly (like once every day or 2) then see if I could back down to 1 colace twice a day. If I started having more problems, then up it back to 2 twice a day. Ive been doing this for the last month or 2 and have been feeling MUCH better!

Oh, I also take a probiotic and yogurt daily :-) Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by amb2j; 01-18-2013 at 01:48 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Mama_K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I have this issue also. I've been taking colace every day and eating my prunes and taking probiotics daily. Seems to be working fairly well for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
earthmama7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had constipation with my other 2, and so this time I decided to not give up my morning coffee (1 cup) because that usually helps me normally. It has helped this whole pregnancy and even though I am still a little constipated I still go once a day.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

This pregnancy has been AWFUL in the constipation area! And I got my 1 and only hemorrhoid... blah!! Colace didn't work but miralax did! Now, I take colace once a day and had to go from 3 down to 1 over a 2 week period. Sorry to hear that you have had some spotting. That just makes everything so much more stressful!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

I'll have to ask my doctor if I can take more than 2 colace a day.