Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First shower on Saturday!

DH and I are flying to CA (where we're from, haven't been back since '09) for our first shower on Saturday. Super excited about this, since I didn't have a big/traditional wedding (second marriage for both and we're military). We invited about 45ish people, 30 are set to come at this point.

Anyone have any previous experience where the registry items just aren't moving, less than a week out from the shower? I'm guilty of being a registry stalker, and it surprises me as the planning type.

Trying to avoid making a GMD haul before the trip, but I'm *dying* to!

Happy Monday, everyone! Three days until I leave on this much needed vacation!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: First shower on Saturday!

If people bought anything thing from my registry, most didn't use the system, so it didn't mark it as bought, but very, very, very, very few used the registry. It STINKS, but people think buying off a registry is "thoughtless". I think it's thoughtless NOT to IF you know they have a regisrty. But I guess they have been dreaming for years to buy LOs that awesome one of a kind pack of too little Huggies that leak.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh View Post
If people bought anything thing from my registry, most didn't use the system, so it didn't mark it as bought, but very, very, very, very few used the registry. It STINKS, but people think buying off a registry is "thoughtless". I think it's thoughtless NOT to IF you know they have a regisrty. But I guess they have been dreaming for years to buy LOs that awesome one of a kind pack of too little Huggies that leak.
Isn't that crazy? I understand that people's hearts are in that place and they don't mean ill of it, but if I wanted you to get "creative," I wouldn't have bothered registering. Plus, it's our first baby, so we have nothing.

I probably should've mentioned no diaper cakes.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
TCKmom
Registered Users

Most people who bought off of my registry didn't use the system either so only a couple items were marked as bought. Probably 95% of people didn't even get anything on the registry though which was frustrating because I only registered for stuff that we actually needed. My advice...don't feel at all guilty returning stuff and using the money to get what you actually want/need. We got so many receiving blankets and outfits and bottles that I had no idea where to put them all. Returned lots of stuff to get things like a car seat or safety gates. We also have enough baby shampoo and diaper cream to last us through probably 20 kids, lol.

Our church does "diaper showers" for parents who are not first timers and even though I am going to tell them we don't want disposables b/c we're going to do cloth this time around, I know no one will buy cloth for us so I'll be returning all the sposies and using them to buy cloth. The bummer is that we are doing cloth for the first time so we have no stash which means I might not have cloth for the first couple weeks since we can't really afford to buy any until we return sposies. Oh well.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Almost no one buys from registries. You will get a ton of clothes, washcloths, and little nicknacks. Prepare to buy everything you need! Have fun anyway though
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Also, IME people don't include receipts, and tear tags off so you can't see prices. Some stores will let you exchange stuff for store credit but you have to figure out who sells it and id they'll take it back. Only a few people bought stuff that was actually on our registry, and no one checked out right so it did not show on the registry.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

People are awful about registries. Drives my crazy. I didn't spend all this time picking out what I wanted to have them ignore it, but what can you do. I bet you'll have a lot of last minute shoppers too!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the input, ladies! How interesting it is to compare wedding registries to baby registries.

Thankfully, we did have two aunts and their daughters chip in to buy our travel system, so at least we're set on that item.

We may have to do some returns out there before traveling home since we're flying.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Were a lot of the items on-line only? I found that people from oout of town (and were shipping a gift anyway) were the only ones who bought online only items. Everyone else waited til a day or two before and then went to the store. Also, we had a small Target so a lot of items marked as in-store were not available at my Target. Where did you register?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Drives my crazy. I didn't spend all this time picking out what I wanted to have them ignore it, but what can you do. I bet you'll have a lot of last minute shoppers too!
Right?! Why do we even bother pinning those "Registry Essentials/Must-Haves" pins on Pinterest if people are going to do their own thing?