Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tdap vaccine (pertussis/whooping cough)?

I asked about it early on in my pregnancy... I really wanted the tetnus part (i have an irrational fear about tetnus for some reason) but the whooping cough part is obviously important given the current outbreaks.

Apprently here in Canada it's not recommended during pregnancy but I've had plenty of US Mamas tell me they've had it while pregnant and it's recommended during pregnancy in some areas due to the outbreaks, the theory being that baby would recieve some of that immunity from mom so would have some protection.

Advertisement

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We got 2 years ago with my second.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I have never had a doc mention it. Is this a booster or your first time getting it? I either had it as a child or when I first joined the Air Force.
It would be a booster. I had it as a child.

It hasn't been mentioned in either of my previous pregnancies, but there has been an outbreak around here so I assume that is why she suggested it. There were a few babies that died because of it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got the booster last winter. I worked in the hospital and its really recommended to help protect the patients.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My doc suggested a booster, either during pregnancy or in the hospital right after birth. She also suggested DH get a booster, our other 2 are fully vaxed. She was saying the most common way children are exposed is from their parents, and whooping cough is big right now. I will get it in the hospital. DH had a booster 2 years ago when he almost ripped his finger off so he has to double check.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just saw this and want to chime in that I received a pertussis booster at the hospital after delivering. There was a big outbreak in my area for two winters in a row and I did not want us to get it.

I had a terrible reaction. I had flu like symptoms and extreme pain radiating from the injection site. The midwife told me she had a reaction that was similar. Just make sure you have help. I ended up back in the hospital for feeding issues and I was relieved because I got real hands on assistance while I tried to sleep it off.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Just saw this and want to chime in that I received a pertussis booster at the hospital after delivering. There was a big outbreak in my area for two winters in a row and I did not want us to get it.

I had a terrible reaction. I had flu like symptoms and extreme pain radiating from the injection site. The midwife told me she had a reaction that was similar. Just make sure you have help. I ended up back in the hospital for feeding issues and I was relieved because I got real hands on assistance while I tried to sleep it off.
Hmm, thanks for the heads up. We may or may not have help after baby is born. We have no family around, but my parents are going to fly out here; we just don't know if they will be here right after the birth, before, or a couple weeks after...just depends on when baby arrives.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post

So sorry mama! I'm not too worried as neither myself or anyone in my family has had a vaccine reaction, not even fever/redness, but it's always good to watch out for!!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would like to point out that many of the people that have been getting whooping cough are actually vaccinated. It has been shown to be a different strain than is in the vaccine, which makes the vaccine rather useless.

And for the prego moms, watch this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VoY6vXEMsU8

It's a doctor, not some quack, lol.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I would like to point out that many of the people that have been getting whooping cough are actually vaccinated. It has been shown to be a different strain than is in the vaccine, which makes the vaccine rather useless.
Since it protects against other things than just whooping cough I wouldn't call it 'useless', and it does still protect against that strain. I also wonder if the 'most people who get it are vaccinated' argument is a little skewed, since I would guess most people are vaccinated period. But I haven't looked into so I could be wrong.

I probably need a booster for the tetinus/diphtheria (sp?) anyway.