Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdra View Post
Long story short:

My son is 12 and not baptized (nor my 2 lo's). We grew up catholic and I was baptized and did my first communion. I haven't been to mass since I was little. I asked my aunt to me my sons godmother when he was little. She's now pressuring me to baptize him. I'm not jumping at the idea because I don't feel like I'm catholic, or am I? I believe in god but don't go to church. Should I baptize my son out of tradition or because my family expects it? I don't know how I'll feel about this later in life. So I guess my question do you consider yourself to be part of a specific religion if you were raised that way but don't go to church or anything?
I'm not so sure about your faith crisis questions but wanted to point out that if you asked her to be your son's godmother she's doing exactly what she's supposed to by pressuring you to baptize him.

Were you still involved with the church when he was born? The only reason to have God parents is if you plan to raise your children in the faith..

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was only 19 when I had my son and was picking god parents because I was expected to. I really didn't put any thought into it. My aunt doesn't go to church either. I talked to the people at the church and my son does have to take classes. They will baptize him even if we don't go to church. Im trying to decide if I should go along with it because my aunt really wants to do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: To baptize or not to baptize

I would ask your son if he wants to be Baptized. He is 12..That is plenty old enough for him to be included in the conversation.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
I would ask your son if he wants to be Baptized. He is 12..That is plenty old enough for him to be included in the conversation.
This
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Baptism, IMO, is at the request of the one to be baptised and it is a confirmation of a committment to the Kingdom of God. That the recipient is ready to be cleansed of sin and born again as a child of the King of Kings. The recipient commits to live for the Kingdom. Nope, I don't tell my children when that is. That is for them to decide. Baptism is such a symbolic act. What matters is a heart devotion to the Father, a yielding of our ways to his. Baptism would be a waste without the life giving, daily faith walk it bespeaks of.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarai* View Post
It may be that a Catholic priest will not baptize your son if you do not intend to raise him in that faith. You have not been confirmed.

I'd ask a priest, but when we looked into joining the Catholic church, they would have made my son (who is nine, and already baptized) a school year or RICA just to take communion. RICA is (here at least) mandatory for anyone over 7 who desires to join the Catholic church.. And from what I understood, you can not be baptized in the Catholic church without joining.
This is completely incorrect. You can have your child baptized if you are not Catholic,or never intend to be Catholic. The only requirement for baptism is that the God parents need to be Catholics in good standing and agree to raise the child in the faith. So if your aunt isn't going to church she wouldn't be able to be a godparent unless she went to confession and attended Mass. Baptism is for the child not the parents so no child would be denied baptism based on the parents. As a Catholic I feel the children should be baptized (big surprise I know)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Baptism, IMO, is at the request of the one to be baptised and it is a confirmation of a committment to the Kingdom of God. That the recipient is ready to be cleansed of sin and born again as a child of the King of Kings. The recipient commits to live for the Kingdom. Nope, I don't tell my children when that is. That is for them to decide. Baptism is such a symbolic act. What matters is a heart devotion to the Father, a yielding of our ways to his. Baptism would be a waste without the life giving, daily faith walk it bespeaks of.
This is not what the Catholic Church teaches though. This is more of a Protestant teaching. Catholics baptize infants and older. Rcia is for people that decide as adults, but the practice for Catholics is to do it before.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

None of my children are baptized (20, 18, 3, & 3). I believe that to be, or not to be, religious is a very personal matter that entails much research. I would never dream of choosing what religion my children should follow if any. I don't agree with indoctrinating my children, choosing their careers, or choosing their future SOs for them.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #19
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Catholic children have the choice to be confirmed as teenagers or not. Baptism is typically done in infancy.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
None of my children are baptized (20, 18, 3, & 3). I believe that to be, or not to be, religious is a very personal matter that entails much research. I would never dream of choosing what religion my children should follow if any. I don't agree with indoctrinating my children, choosing their careers, or choosing their future SOs for them.
I was raised with this philosophy by atheist parents. They always said they never wanted to "indoctrinate" us (not sure who said they were picking careers or arranging marriages ). But they way they didn't risk indoctrinating us was to give us absolutely nothing!!! We watched all our friends have their faith and traditions passed down to them and instead we were taught there was no God but santa was real. When we went through hard times we had nothing to fall back on except how unfair life was and we needed to get used to it. We watched families go to church,pray together,support each other and whole churches rally around a member in need ,while we were left with nothing because we didn't need their kind of help. Looking back so much of my childhood was spent living with such jealousy that my parents had kept this "God" from me. I didn't know what that was but I saw the joy and happiness people felt and I didn't understand why I wasn't special enough to have that too. Needless to say as soon as I was able I became a Catholic and I now see what I was missing and those things I so desperately wanted growing up I now have. And it feels WONDERFUL and I have passed that down to my children. The best part is they are grateful for it even as young as some of them are they know they have such a special gift. My older ones never feel lost and alone as I did. And as a family we have such a special time during family prayer. If that is indoctrination then I am completely and totally indoctrinating them.