Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post

I was raised with this philosophy by atheist parents. They always said they never wanted to "indoctrinate" us (not sure who said they were picking careers or arranging marriages ). But they way they didn't risk indoctrinating us was to give us absolutely nothing!!! We watched all our friends have their faith and traditions passed down to them and instead we were taught there was no God but santa was real. When we went through hard times we had nothing to fall back on except how unfair life was and we needed to get used to it. We watched families go to church,pray together,support each other and whole churches rally around a member in need ,while we were left with nothing because we didn't need their kind of help. Looking back so much of my childhood was spent living with such jealousy that my parents had kept this "God" from me. I didn't know what that was but I saw the joy and happiness people felt and I didn't understand why I wasn't special enough to have that too. Needless to say as soon as I was able I became a Catholic and I now see what I was missing and those things I so desperately wanted growing up I now have. And it feels WONDERFUL and I have passed that down to my children. The best part is they are grateful for it even as young as some of them are they know they have such a special gift. My older ones never feel lost and alone as I did. And as a family we have such a special time during family prayer. If that is indoctrination then I am completely and totally indoctrinating them.
I adore this whole post.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: To baptize or not to baptize

Since he's 12, I'd talk to him and get his feelings on the matter. Before I did anything, I'd try finding a church home as a family and let him experience/learn so he can make a decision for himself.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm Baptist. In our denomination a person is baptized when THEY decide to follow Christ and can make that choice for themselves. Baptism is an outward symbolism of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. You can't tell a baby to follow Christ, so we don't baptize babies.

In fact, no where in the Bible does it ever say a baby was baptized to clean it of it's original sin. EVERYWHERE in the Bible, it says "he believed and was baptized... they believed and were baptized... after he confessed Christ he was baptized," etc.....

So.. YOU are the parent. If YOU are uncomfortable with it, then don't do it. But again, Baptism is supposed to be an outward profession of faith, and you can't have a profession of faith if you have no faith of your own, it's not a choice that a parent can make for their child.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I have tried talking to him but he doesn't seem to care or have an opinion. Im going to try talking to him again. If he still shows no interest I might wait a yr and talk to him again. Maybe by then he'll have some type of opinion on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does he know what baptism means? Has he ever gone to church? Honestly I wouldn't do it unless he wants to and understands the depth of it. Then again I don't believe in baby baptism and was strict Missouri synod Lutheran. My mom and grandparents are not happy DD isn't baptized but Oh Well.

Alisha sent using my Samsung Galaxy II that thinks it is smarter then me.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If he's not interested, and you guys aren't religious, I might not even bring it up again. If he comes to you, then maybe investigate.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #27
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdra View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I have tried talking to him but he doesn't seem to care or have an opinion. Im going to try talking to him again. If he still shows no interest I might wait a yr and talk to him again. Maybe by then he'll have some type of opinion on it.
Has he been to Mass or received any religious formation? I ask because he probably doesn't understand what it is or why it would be important to him. If you are interested in possibly having him baptized Catholic it would be really great for you to meet with a priest and have the priest go over it with him. At 12 he is old enough to ask questions and understand what is going on. If you need help finding info on locations ect just shoot me a pm.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #28
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier

I was raised with this philosophy by atheist parents. They always said they never wanted to "indoctrinate" us (not sure who said they were picking careers or arranging marriages ). But they way they didn't risk indoctrinating us was to give us absolutely nothing!!! We watched all our friends have their faith and traditions passed down to them and instead we were taught there was no God but santa was real. When we went through hard times we had nothing to fall back on except how unfair life was and we needed to get used to it. We watched families go to church,pray together,support each other and whole churches rally around a member in need ,while we were left with nothing because we didn't need their kind of help. Looking back so much of my childhood was spent living with such jealousy that my parents had kept this "God" from me. I didn't know what that was but I saw the joy and happiness people felt and I didn't understand why I wasn't special enough to have that too. Needless to say as soon as I was able I became a Catholic and I now see what I was missing and those things I so desperately wanted growing up I now have. And it feels WONDERFUL and I have passed that down to my children. The best part is they are grateful for it even as young as some of them are they know they have such a special gift. My older ones never feel lost and alone as I did. And as a family we have such a special time during family prayer. If that is indoctrination then I am completely and totally indoctrinating them.
I was raised like you and am an atheist since about 12. I never had any interest in god or religion. I had no need for it. You on the other hand did. I think it's the perfect example of there is no right way to raise children. Dh was raised how you are raising your children and he stepped away from Catholicism at 14 and is agnostic.
Same ingredients, different results. Some people need and enjoy god and religion and some don't know matter how they are raised.

We are all different and that is what makes life such a fun adventure.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #29
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Where I'm from (NYC) a catholic godparent is supposed to foster the religious well-being of the child. I know that's been said.

My curiosity lies in where she has been for the last 12 years. This sounds like it's more about her than your son. If he wants to go on this journey with her, it should be up to him. If there isn't much of a relationship there, that's likely not fixable.

Eta. What I meant was, not fixable unless she puts in an effort to be a constant, positive force in his life, regardless of religion.

Last edited by danielle; 01-19-2013 at 06:24 AM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #30
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I grew up catholic but go to e free church but somethings I don't age with. We had friends that go with USA tip church and baptized e free does not baptize. Mine havE more been.I Ddid confirmation in catholic church too...