Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #71
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: To baptize or not to baptize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I would vote no.

There are two major interpretations on Baptism based on Scripture:

One is that Baptism is an outward symbol of faith to the individual who has already received the Holy Spirit or chosen to follow Christ. It is a public confession of faith, acceptance of Christ, and committment to follow Him.

The other is that Baptism is a means toward that end (receiving the Holy Spirit and learning of the truth that leads to following Christ) and that Christian parents have the responsibility to start their children down that path, the first step being Baptism in Christ.

The Bible supports both interpretations, which leads me to believe that both scenarios are equally "correct" in God's eyes.

There is a third interpretation that suggests Baptism will forgive a child of their sin and thus prevent them from eternal damnation. While there are verses that do state Baptism does offer forgiveness of sins, I have yet to find any guarantee of salvation from the act.

Keep in mind I am a layperson, not a pastor, so forgive me for omissions and errors.

Therefore, since you and your son do not seem to strongly adhere to either of those beliefs (based only on what you have shared thus far), then I would say no. However, if his godmother is concerned with his spiritual well-being, I would explain these interpretations and why your son fits in neither category, and ask her to become involved in inviting him to church and teaching him about Christ, fulfilling her duties as godmother.
Just as a side note, scripture supporting the belief that baptism cleanses the individual of sins, both original and personal, has been provided by multiple posters. No, there is no guarantee that baptism will guarantee heaven because we have free will and can separate ourselves from God.

But, to ignore this belief as not one of the main beliefs regarding baptism fails to recognize that Roman Catholicism comprises approximately 50% of all Christians. Nor are Roman Catholics the only major Christian religion (just to add a few - Eastern Rite churches and Lutheran) that believes in one baptism (including infants) for the remission of sin. All other beliefs regarding baptism are followed by fewer believers.

Advertisement

Last edited by z2akids; 01-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #72
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Just as a side note, scripture supporting the belief that baptism cleanses the individual of sins, both original and personal, has been provided by multiple posters. No, there is no guarantee that baptism will guarantee heaven because we have free will and can separate ourselves from God.

But, to ignore this belief as not one of the main beliefs regarding baptism fails to recognize that Roman Catholicism comprises approximately 50% of all Christians. Nor are Roman Catholics the only major Christian religion (just to add a few - Eastern Rite churches and Lutheran) that believes in one baptism (including infants) for the remission of sin. All other beliefs regarding baptism are followed by fewer believers.
Yes, I know that is what Roman Catholicism teaches, and that is why I included it. However, like I said earlier, I was focusing on the main beliefs that are Scripturally backed. The belief that Baptism guarantees salvation through forgiveness of sin is, as you said, simply unfounded (although yes, forgiveness of sin in Baptism is supported). You raise a good point that it should be considered a "main belief of Baptism" even though it is unfounded. I will edit my post.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #73
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=Melinda29;16188746]I would vote no.

There are three major interpretations on Baptism--two are strongly supported by statements and examples in Scripture:

1) Baptism is an outward symbol of faith to the individual who has already received the Holy Spirit or chosen to follow Christ. It is a public confession of faith, acceptance of Christ, and committment to follow Him. Baptism is for people able/old enough to make the choice for themselves.

2) Baptism is a means toward that end (receiving the Holy Spirit and learning of the truth that leads to following Christ) and that Christian parents have the responsibility to start their children down that path, the first step being Baptism in Christ. Baptism is for all of God's people, regardless of age, nationality, or mental status.

3) Baptism will forgive a child of their sin and thus prevent them from eternal damnation. While there are verses that do state Baptism offers forgiveness of sins, and that we must be Baptized (or born again) to be saved, I have yet to find any guarantee of salvation from Baptism alone in the Bible. The argument goes that if an infant is forgiven of their original sin through Baptism, and sin is what results in eternal damnation, then Baptism is a guarantee of salvation whether the individual chooses Christ or not later in life (or alternately, guarantees salvation *until* the individual is old enough to accept Christ). This is the primary teaching of the Roman Catholic Church as well as many other orthodox denominations.

[QUOTE]

Please do not try to characterize the Catholic beliefs. What you edited your quote to describe is not the belief of the Catholic Church.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #74
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

In the 18th century there was a Catholic nanny who baptized a Jewish baby in her care because he was very ill and she thought he might die and go to hell. This was in Italy I think? Years later the Catholic clergy found out what she had done and successfully had the child removed from his Jewish family and placed in a Catholic orphanage because, according to the court, it was immoral to have a Catholic child grow up in a Jewish home. The assumption being, of course, that a ceremony done to an unwitting child by an unauthorized adult somehow had lasting meaning and importance in his life.

It does not.

Have your child baptized or don't. I would bet you anything it won't matter one bit in the future. What will matter is how you raise your child and the example you set.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote