Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

RN moms

If you work at a hospital whats the nurse to pt ratio on your different units?

Have you ever tried home care? What did you think?

I work overnights, med/surg and I need a change soon or I'm going to lose my mind.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: RN moms

I'm staying at home right now but I was working up until 2 years ago. Our med-surg unit generally has 6 patients per nurse, ICU is 1 to 2 per nurse, ER is 3, not sure about L&D. I had a friend who did home health (only quit because she moved) and loved it despite not expecting too. I'm not sure if you are referring to home health by home care but either way I think it's definitely a different pace. More of an opportunity to connect to the patient and little more laid back.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
6-8 for straight med surg. 5 for something like neuro tele (high falls). 2 Icu. But often 3 due to staffing.

Last edited by Numommy; 01-18-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

On the med-surg it was 6 or 7 for night shift. Tele was four or five. ICU was two if I remember. I worked night shift on a med-surg unit.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Okay, so my hospital is pretty normal. One of the nurses at my hospital picked up a per diem gig in the city where the day nurses take 10 patients and the night nurses take 15 on a med surg floor. I suddenly got very scared to leave my current job where we take 6-8 on nights.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I work medical telemetry and we take 4-5 on nights. I usually start of with 3-4 and get one to two admits during the night. I know that there are gen-med floors that take 6-7. ICU takes 1-2.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:
I work on a very busy L&D floor and we are 'supposed' to be 1:1. Sometimes we are 1:2.

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Okay, so my hospital is pretty normal. One of the nurses at my hospital picked up a per diem gig in the city where the day nurses take 10 patients and the night nurses take 15 on a med surg floor. I suddenly got very scared to leave my current job where we take 6-8 on nights.
I think it definitely depends on the hospital/area. That's actually part of the reason I moved where I did. The hospitals where I did my training for nursing school often took around 10 patients on the med surg floor. To make up for it, I think they had an LPN to help, as well as a lower patient to nurse aide ratio but there is no way I would feel comfortable taking care of that many patients at once. It's just not safe IMO
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I worked on a tele floor, we had a 4:1 ratio on days, 6:1 on nights. I now work in the ED, our ratio varies from 1:1 to maybe 6:1 depending on patient acuity. On average, I have 3 to 4 patients at a time.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never worked med-surg. When I worked icu I had 1-2 patients. I have done mostly ER at several different hospitals (did travel nursing before kids) and work ER now. It is 4:1 ratio. I did home hospice for over a year and it was the best job on earth. It is what nursing is really about. Downside is being on call so I don't want to do it while kids are young but def hope to get back to working hospice again in the future.